OT: Official Golf Thread II

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
i think part of it is any kind of emotion like that is looked down on by the media now. Used to make you a media darling, but now they rip you for not being a professional and not having control.

Hell, every time Rahm gets mad they frame it as "well, here we go again"

Or look at all the crap Patrick Reed gets for being loud and fiery on the course. He gets ripped as being entitled, a *****e, embarrassing, etc.

thats part of what makes the Ryder Cup so great is all these guys actually do let loose on the course and show emotion and showboat and its great entertainment.

Reid has brought much on himself, a few years ago an incident where he missed a putt and muttered a homophobic slur which the audio caught but I understand what you are saying, at the very least, he shows some fire

The majority of these guys are boring robots and the courses they play where scores of -15 are typical are also boring

I went to the Canadian Open many many moons ago, we followed Fuzzy Zoeller (talk about another guy who got into hot water over some comments) around for a while, he was consistently interacting with the fans, joking around and he was playing like dog meat that day. To me, it`s not just about showing emotion when your mad, it`s about allowing your natural personality to show, that tournament also featured Peter Jacobson who I mentioned in my previous post, another guy who I found engaging with the fans, having fun, we just don`t see it these days

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Putting my new 60 degree wedge to work later today with a twilight round on another beautiful Victoria day, haven`t played in a few weeks so no course records broken today but going to be nice to be back on the course again after being on the IR with back spasms

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I feel ya, despite working at a golf course, having some health issues which have prevented me from playing enough to really improve, still posting solid scores but can`t escape the double bogey`s, just happens when not practicing/playing enough and the touch shots are required
I will never leave the pin in for putting ever again. Third hole, uphill 20 foot putt and the slope had the pin leaning more to the right of the hole. Would of dropped for birdie but it bounced out off the pin on the right. The other three agreed that it would have dropped if not for the pin.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I will never leave the pin in for putting ever again. Third hole, uphill 20 foot putt and the slope had the pin leaning more to the right of the hole. Would of dropped for birdie but it bounced out off the pin on the right. The other three agreed that it would have dropped if not for the pin.

totally agreed, I played with 3 members a couple of weeks ago and while I know it likely annoyed them, when I putted, I wanted nothing to do with putting with the pin in and in about the 8 rounds I have played with those who insist on the pin staying in, I`ve not seen one putt that was close to being influenced to the positive with it being left in

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
given the green light from my physiotherapist to try to swing em` today, she has given me strict orders to not try and kill everything (which really isn`t part of my game). Likely not going to be pretty out there but grateful to have the chance to play again, having my procedure done at the end of the month which will help alleviate the discomfort I have in my lower back

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

classic

Took my first lesson yesterday ever, really enjoyed it, my draw has turned into a pull which has hurt me and I said enough was/is enough. Absolutely loved the lesson, the pro showed me video frame by frame, was bringing the club back far too inside, turning my wrist over at point of impact and everything heading right (I`m a lefty). First off, my club face at set up was far too open, worked on taking the club away further from my body and finishing in the proper spot.

I played immediately following the lesson and I did precisely what he said 95% of his clients do which is go and try all that was worked on during the lesson which is exactly what he said he "didn`t" want. He wants to see his clients stand on the range and practice, get used to the brand new changes but nope, I knew better:)

I didn`t score well because I didn`t listen but when I did all the right things I did learn during the lesson, man did I hit the ball straight with a touch of a fade. Shot of the day was on 18, had about 210 yds, pulled my 3 hybrid out for my 2nd shot on a par 5, put it to 15 feet, missed the eagle putt although put a great roll on it.

Anyways, going to use his swing less today, follow his instructions to use it only on holes with some forgiveness in case I mishit it which will happen until I have enough reps

Takes alot for me to ask for help and while my game was decent already (about a 10/11 handicap) I really wanted to work on improving my game and this guy was terrific to work with. Next lesson we are focusing on bunker play

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
classic

Took my first lesson yesterday ever, really enjoyed it, my draw has turned into a pull which has hurt me and I said enough was/is enough. Absolutely loved the lesson, the pro showed me video frame by frame, was bringing the club back far too inside, turning my wrist over at point of impact and everything heading right (I`m a lefty). First off, my club face at set up was far too open, worked on taking the club away further from my body and finishing in the proper spot.

I played immediately following the lesson and I did precisely what he said 95% of his clients do which is go and try all that was worked on during the lesson which is exactly what he said he "didn`t" want. He wants to see his clients stand on the range and practice, get used to the brand new changes but nope, I knew better:)

I didn`t score well because I didn`t listen but when I did all the right things I did learn during the lesson, man did I hit the ball straight with a touch of a fade. Shot of the day was on 18, had about 210 yds, pulled my 3 hybrid out for my 2nd shot on a par 5, put it to 15 feet, missed the eagle putt although put a great roll on it.

Anyways, going to use his swing less today, follow his instructions to use it only on holes with some forgiveness in case I mi**** it which will happen until I have enough reps

Takes alot for me to ask for help and while my game was decent already (about a 10/11 handicap) I really wanted to work on improving my game and this guy was terrific to work with. Next lesson we are focusing on bunker play
Great to hear.

One thing I have learned from lessons.

Do what the pro tells you to do.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Great to hear.

One thing I have learned from lessons.

Do what the pro tells you to do.

for sure, went better yesterday as I picked my spots to work on this new swing as he suggested rather than use it on every shot as I did the day before and it was sure nice to see the flight of my ball not making a hard right every time. Due to the fact I didn`t execute every one of the swing adjustments well it cost me some strokes but again, nothing to do with the swing, everything to do with me not executing it properly, shot an 83 but burned the edge on 4 really solid putts which would have put me sub 80. Still working on breaking 80, been a work in progress requiring patience and I play on a very tough course where I`d say 15 of the 18 holes present unique challenges with the other 3 holes being gimmies

Next lesson we will be doing a refresher on lesson 1 then trying to incorporate a fade

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm damn near a full year here in AZ, and I've still yet to swing the sticks. Need to change that.

ya sure do, it`s funny, when I first moved here (Victoria BC) thought I`d be out a ton but in all reality, because I can play 12 months a year, I don`t have that internal scramble to get out X amount of times weekly so I can get my golf in before the first snowfall. I played 2 times this week.

Really looking forward to my next round as I feel the changes the pro has asked me to work on started to make me feel good about my game.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Need to get out on the course more often, whether has been really humid though so not ideal playing conditions. Only played twice last summer because of health and work so getting out twice a week this year has been awesome.

Need to look into a driving iron/fairway wood to bridge the gap between my driver and my 4-iron. Any suggestions?

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
@Biz20

Demo a Rogue from Callaway. I’m guessing a 3W; it’s making me consider making a Driver upgrade, too. I’m getting great launch and velocity and a breeze to hit off the fairway.

Weather permitting, my meetings should end at 2pm.

Have been playing most Friday’s w my 83 grandfather and my younger brother. Getting ready for the mega-family scramble tourney in late August.

My biggest miss is still in close. I’m too short, too far. Really have issues using my wedges when I’m within 100yards on the course. On the range, I’m a machine. So mental - in all ways

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad