OT: Official Golf Thread II

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
coming off shoulder surgery those are good numbers, I`m a lefty too, just starting to learn how to fade the ball, my biggest issue with the irons is I`m a naturally left to right player but too often that draw turns into a pull and gets me into trouble. Slowly but surely learning to take the time to practice on working the ball right to left when needed

haha, ironic because Im the opposite.

my natural shot shape is a slight (~5 yd) fade. goes up L to R then fades back to center. but I wish i had a draw instead. more distance with a draw and better flight through winds

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
haha, ironic because Im the opposite.

my natural shot shape is a slight (~5 yd) fade. goes up L to R then fades back to center. but I wish i had a draw instead. more distance with a draw and better flight through winds
issue for me is the draw rarely sits WHEN I hit the green:)

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Hit the range for the first time this year today.

I'm not a good golfer, typically around a 120...but played more last year than any other. Still can't seem to get it together for 18 holes...but I did shoot a 52 on the back 9 of a round last year. I do feel like I'm close to being able to drop a bunch of strokes quickly.

My biggest issues are of course short game (chips in particular...putting's not terrible), and off the tee. Keeping my drive in the fairway has always been rough...I slice it a lot.

While it's early returns...I hit my driver very, very well today at the range. Focused a ton on square clubhead contact, and it worked.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Hit the range for the first time this year today.

I'm not a good golfer, typically around a 120...but played more last year than any other. Still can't seem to get it together for 18 holes...but I did shoot a 52 on the back 9 of a round last year. I do feel like I'm close to being able to drop a bunch of strokes quickly.

My biggest issues are of course short game (chips in particular...putting's not terrible), and off the tee. Keeping my drive in the fairway has always been rough...I slice it a lot.

While it's early returns...I hit my driver very, very well today at the range. Focused a ton on square clubhead contact, and it worked.

I`m far from being remotely qualified to give lessons but I have always found when my game goes a bit sideways off the tee, I need to choke up a bit on my driver or club of choice.

Short game and putting can be the great equalizer or contributor to a poor round. I was never a long hitter even as a Junior when I had my handicap down to low single digits so I spent countless hours practicing my chipping/putting because on long par 4`s I`d find myself close to but not on the green and I needed that part of my game to be sound.

I just started working at a golf course down here and playing for free and often will help the consistency but I took my first lesson in years yesterday from the pro and I`m glad I did. The biggest area I struggle in is in sand so we spent 45 minutes in the trap and it completely took away my fears moving forward. Doesn`t mean I`ll be a wizard in the bunkers but at least I now have the tools and knowledge about what the he** to do in there

Off to the course now to play 9, have too much to do today prior to game time

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I`m far from being remotely qualified to give lessons but I have always found when my game goes a bit sideways off the tee, I need to choke up a bit on my driver or club of choice.

Short game and putting can be the great equalizer or contributor to a poor round. I was never a long hitter even as a Junior when I had my handicap down to low single digits so I spent countless hours practicing my chipping/putting because on long par 4`s I`d find myself close to but not on the green and I needed that part of my game to be sound.

I just started working at a golf course down here and playing for free and often will help the consistency but I took my first lesson in years yesterday from the pro and I`m glad I did. The biggest area I struggle in is in sand so we spent 45 minutes in the trap and it completely took away my fears moving forward. Doesn`t mean I`ll be a wizard in the bunkers but at least I now have the tools and knowledge about what the he** to do in there

Off to the course now to play 9, have too much to do today prior to game time

yeah, I've always found that for chipping (30yds and less) the easiest fix is to try less. Basically, dont focus in on the pin and try to place a perfect chip on a dime. "Zoom out" and focus on hitting the middle of the green. That'll make the swing smooth and relaxed

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
yeah, I've always found that for chipping (30yds and less) the easiest fix is to try less. Basically, dont focus in on the pin and try to place a perfect chip on a dime. "Zoom out" and focus on hitting the middle of the green. That'll make the swing smooth and relaxed
yep, I tend to chip with the approach of leaving the ball ALWAYS below the hole and another thing I was shown years ago or told was to always pay attention to your playing partners shots, regardless if they are firing from 150 yds or are also greenside. Like putting, you can get a read for a green watching an approach from others playing with you.

Played a solid but inconsistent 9 holes today, almost wish I had time to play the back, 2+ with 2 doubles and two tweet tweet`s:)

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
golf is the greatest and most frustrating individual sport to play. Started the round well yesterday, 2 pars then missed a short birdie put on the 3rd and took a par. Hit the ball well off the tee however landed 3 times in divots (yep, I`m one of those who doesn`t improve his lie) then got stuck right behind the lip in a bunker but still finished with a respectable 41 on the front.

The back? Good lord, started with a triple, then made 3 pars in a row, thought I had righted the ship but nope, pushed another triple onto the card and finished the back with a 46, +10 on the back, ugg

Still, worst day on the golf course is always better than working

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
golf is the greatest and most frustrating individual sport to play. Started the round well yesterday, 2 pars then missed a short birdie put on the 3rd and took a par. Hit the ball well off the tee however landed 3 times in divots (yep, I`m one of those who doesn`t improve his lie) then got stuck right behind the lip in a bunker but still finished with a respectable 41 on the front.

The back? Good lord, started with a triple, then made 3 pars in a row, thought I had righted the ship but nope, pushed another triple onto the card and finished the back with a 46, +10 on the back, ugg

Still, worst day on the golf course is always better than working
"How would you like to mow my lawn?"

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Played a terribly inconsistent round yesterday. I`m not a big pre round practice guy but running late due to an accident that created a detour, literally got to the course with minutes to spare before tee time, proceeded to double the first hole, par on 2 then produced 3 more doubles on the front nine for a 46......poo sandwich. Typically I like to be at the course about 20 minutes prior to tee time, just enough time to hit some putts

Thankfully I am long past the days where I allow a bad nine or a few bad holes ruin my day, try to always focus on how fortunate I am to even be out on a glorious day playing golf. Started the back nine off having forgotten completely about what transpired on the front nine and shot a 39

Used a demo 60 degree wedge for the first time, only club I haven`t had in my bag and it cost me a few strokes on the front as I just wasn`t sure about distances but was terrific with it on the back nine, went into the pro shop afterwards and added it to my bag

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Played a terribly inconsistent round yesterday. I`m not a big pre round practice guy but running late due to an accident that created a detour, literally got to the course with minutes to spare before tee time, proceeded to double the first hole, par on 2 then produced 3 more doubles on the front nine for a 46......poo sandwich. Typically I like to be at the course about 20 minutes prior to tee time, just enough time to hit some putts

Thankfully I am long past the days where I allow a bad nine or a few bad holes ruin my day, try to always focus on how fortunate I am to even be out on a glorious day playing golf. Started the back nine off having forgotten completely about what transpired on the front nine and shot a 39

Used a demo 60 degree wedge for the first time, only club I haven`t had in my bag and it cost me a few strokes on the front as I just wasn`t sure about distances but was terrific with it on the back nine, went into the pro shop afterwards and added it to my bag

hahaha, I had the same issue when I added a 60. Took a few range buckets to get my brain to accept how hard I had to swing to so such a short distance

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
hahaha, I had the same issue when I added a 60. Took a few range buckets to get my brain to accept how hard I had to swing to so such a short distance

for me I didn`t really put myself into a position on the front nine to use a full swing with it, but I used it around the green trying to get a feel for it, flop shots etc...and it cost me strokes so I wasn`t terribly upset by the poor front as I think it cost me 3-4 shots

On the back I was able to put myself into spots where I could take a full hack at it (from 100-115 ish) and I loved it, gave myself 3 true birdie attempts, made good putts on all 3 but buried only one

Just felt outta sorts racing to the first tee, as I mentioned, usually like to just get a few putts in, relax and then start up but just rushed

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Played the same 9 holes yesterday and today, a course I'm usually scoring around 40 on (give or take a couple strokes). Shot a 46 and 48. Woof. The greens were ridiculously fast and I'm having serious mental blocks when it comes to my 7-iron thru my wedges.

Usually I'd stop playing for a couple of weeks to get over the mental stuff, but I haven't been playing much yet this spring so I'm not in much of a rhythm. Maybe I need to start playing more

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Played the same 9 holes yesterday and today, a course I'm usually scoring around 40 on (give or take a couple strokes). Shot a 46 and 48. Woof. The greens were ridiculously fast and I'm having serious mental blocks when it comes to my 7-iron thru my wedges.

Usually I'd stop playing for a couple of weeks to get over the mental stuff, but I haven't been playing much yet this spring so I'm not in much of a rhythm. Maybe I need to start playing more
Yes...play more

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
tale of two 9s for me yesterday...couldn't hit a thing on the front and went 43, got it back on the back and went 37 with an eagle.

also, is Koepka the most unheralded great golfer going?

4x Major winner
first ever to be reigning back to back champ of 2 majors at once
won 4 of the last 8 majors

he has more majors than Spieth now and 1 less than Phil

Last edited:
Reactions: Flannelman

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
tale of two 9s for me yesterday...couldn't hit a thing on the front and went 43, got it back on the back and went 37 with an eagle.

also, is Koepka the most unheralded great golfer going?

4x Major winner
first ever to be reigning back to back champ of 2 majors at once
won 4 of the last 8 majors

he has more majors than Spieth now and 1 less than Phil
I`ll take your "couldn`t hit a thing" kinda nine, I couldn`t hit a thing last week and posted 4 doubles on the front:)

Koepka is a beast, my biggest issue if that`s what you call it is he, and the majority of the golfers now on tour just don`t allow their personalities to show. To be fair, I grew up in the days where the Stadlers/Seve`s/Norman/Jacobson`s of the game were on tour and it felt like regardless of where the camera zipped to cover next, you were going to see something interesting, maybe it was a Stadler classic temper tantrum or Seve getting fired up.

I dunno, the golfers today are so good but the overall entertainment factor of the PGA tour, for the most part is just not there for me. I used to try and watch a bit of almost every tournament, now? Nope, now some of that is because I have other responsibilities now and can`t just sit on my arse pounding beers into my guts as I used to but mostly I`m just bored watching golf

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I`ll take your "couldn`t hit a thing" kinda nine, I couldn`t hit a thing last week and posted 4 doubles on the front:)

Koepka is a beast, my biggest issue if that`s what you call it is he, and the majority of the golfers now on tour just don`t allow their personalities to show. To be fair, I grew up in the days where the Stadlers/Seve`s/Norman/Jacobson`s of the game were on tour and it felt like regardless of where the camera zipped to cover next, you were going to see something interesting, maybe it was a Stadler classic temper tantrum or Seve getting fired up.

I dunno, the golfers today are so good but the overall entertainment factor of the PGA tour, for the most part is just not there for me. I used to try and watch a bit of almost every tournament, now? Nope, now some of that is because I have other responsibilities now and can`t just sit on my arse pounding beers into my guts as I used to but mostly I`m just bored watching golf

i think part of it is any kind of emotion like that is looked down on by the media now. Used to make you a media darling, but now they rip you for not being a professional and not having control.

Hell, every time Rahm gets mad they frame it as "well, here we go again"

Or look at all the crap Patrick Reed gets for being loud and fiery on the course. He gets ripped as being entitled, a douche, embarrassing, etc.

thats part of what makes the Ryder Cup so great is all these guys actually do let loose on the course and show emotion and showboat and its great entertainment.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
i think part of it is any kind of emotion like that is looked down on by the media now. Used to make you a media darling, but now they rip you for not being a professional and not having control.

Hell, every time Rahm gets mad they frame it as "well, here we go again"

Or look at all the crap Patrick Reed gets for being loud and fiery on the course. He gets ripped as being entitled, a *****e, embarrassing, etc.

thats part of what makes the Ryder Cup so great is all these guys actually do let loose on the course and show emotion and showboat and its great entertainment.

well that is true, but still for the most part Brooks, and even more so Dustin are what they are.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->