OT: Official Golf Thread II

Discussion in 'Boston Bruins' started by Fenway, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Donnie Shulzhoffer

Donnie Shulzhoffer Rocket Surgery Sponsor

41 38 79

ODAAT likes this.
  2. Flannelman

Flannelman Quiet, Gnashgab.

Favorite shot or most memorable shot?
    Play 9 Tuesday night. First time in weeks.
    TGW w a good sale on Cleveland wedges, fwiw

Donnie Shulzhoffer likes this.
  3. Donnie Shulzhoffer

Punch shot under the trees on a par 5 from 112 out with a 6 iron and got it on the green

Par

Flannelman likes this.
  4. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    I have had one hole in one but I never saw it go in, pin at the base of a bit of tiered green and thought I put it over the green.

My best likely came as a 20 something in our club championship back in Ottawa. Didn`t know where I stood at the time as far as place in the CC but I hit a poor drive and was about 200 yds out on #16, 380 ish par 4, wind in the face, had to pull a 3 wood out as the wind was really strong and pasted it, put it to about 3 feet, made bird and won the CC by 1 stroke.....those days are over:)

Flannelman likes this.
  5. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    Have had a frustrating putting season this year and while this isn` t the reason for heading to the optometrist yesterday, it sure helps understand a touch at what has been going on to a certain degree. Come to find I`m left eye dominant and it has gotten more pronounced since my last appointment. Thankfully the Optometrist is also a golfer and gave me a few suggestions he had to use himself as far as setup and such, means I`ll likely have to change my address that I`ve used for over a decade now but so tired of burning edges all year

6. Flannelman

@ODAAT

Interesting- did it switch? Dominant eye?

One of my grandfathers game has changed dramatically this year,
    Vertigo.

47 today, chipping was worse than usual on a freshly air-raided course.

Strong off the tee, though.

7. Glove Malfunction

Glove Malfunction Ference is my binky Sponsor

EMR Consultant
    I got to be decent at the punch shot from under the trees. You know what they say - practice makes perfect! :laugh:

Flannelman likes this.
  8. Glove Malfunction

EMR Consultant
    I think I had previously mentioned the 8-iron I hit when I was 15. 125 yards, dumped it inside of 8 feet.

My next one was just a few years ago. of course, I hit my first drive OB, then hit my next drive right in the middle, to about 108, so I'm laying 3. Green is guarded at the front by a rise, so you can't see much of it from the fairway. Hit my approach (PW) so sweet, it actually went straight. My son hits, we walk up to the green, can't find my ball. Look all over, even well over the green (after all, it felt really pure). He finally says to me "Did you look in the hole?" There it was. Best par I ever made.

9. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    yeah it did, a few years ago I was right eye dominant, I haven`t a clue, this old age stuff is getting, well, old:)

It does explain a ton, it isn`t that I`ve putted badly, made what I have felt are good solid putts, but all summer long just burning edges, the guy I typically play most of my rounds with said the same a few rounds back, said he`s not so sure he`s ever played with anyone whose putting is solid but nothing seems to drop. Now, not every round on the greens is a symphony but for the most part, the putts I miss I typically leave a tap in or gimmies.

I will try to line up putts the same way I did moving forward as I did when I was told I was right eye dominant, we`ll see what happens

Overall though, very little to complain about my game this year, have all but eliminated my draw/ almost hook at times as a lefty, hitting the ball straighter and longer than I did when I was a junior.

10. Donnie Shulzhoffer

11. Glove Malfunction

EMR Consultant
    Ok, this was hilarious!

12. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    lots of fun had by all it seems

Trying out the putting alignment change today that the optometrist suggested to me the other day, more to be revealed

13. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    41-40 yesterday, made some nice putts but what I noticed the most was the short 4-6 foot putts, drained those that I had which is always a good thing

14. Flannelman

Love it, because that’s also means your chip/approach was solid

15. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    exactly, solid around the greens too, felt good

16. WithOutPaperss

WithOutPaperss 633788

Came close to breaking 80 yesterday. 42, 39. I hit every single fairway thru 14, then missed the last 3. My game from the fairway was way too inconsistent, a lot of my irons had a heavy draw which made it tough to hit the greens, then I'd try to compensate and push it right or chunk it.

Only a few rounds left, here's hoping I can get that elusive 79.

17. Donnie Shulzhoffer

You will get there.

Flannelman and WithOutPaperss like this.
  18. Sheppy

Sheppy Registered User

Putting was on fire a few days ago, 43-44-87 - Second shot was a bit of an issue...

Anyone have any recommendations for a good fairway club? I'm looking at the Taylormade GAPR - I just straight up can't hit my woods on fairways. Everything else I hit pretty decent from my 4 iron to 9.

I'm looking for a club for 200-220 yards for the longer par 5's. I'm usually driving 260-280. I'd like to pick one up before I head down to Vegas in a few months golfing.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  19. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    If you are driving 260-280, my guess is that even on longer par 5`s, all you may need is a 3 Hybrid. When I hit mine right, goes about 200 yds and on most courses that distance, combined with the distance you say you hit your drives should always put you at or well inside the 150 yd mark unless you play a beast of a course?

This summer is not a great one to judge distances for me with some back issues but when I`m right, I too hit about the same off the tee as you do, not long but not short either. We have a 540 yd par 5 and due to a tight landing area on the drive which this illustration below doesn`t show too well, I hit my 1 iron off the tee (yep, still have a 1 iron), usually knock it out about 220-230, I then hit my 5 iron about 180-200 and that leaves me well inside or at the 150`s.

My approach has always been on par 5`s, what`s the reward vs the risk of trying to reach a green in two? Also, what distance from the green am I most comfortable with? I`m far stronger from 120-130 yds out than say 90 yds out so that`s my target. Truthfully, the overwhelming majority of courses out there don`t necessarily need us to smash anything, if we focus on making two good swings on "safer" clubs, we`ll often be in great shape

Olympic View Golf Club in Victoria - Hole by Hole

20. Sheppy

Sheppy Registered User

Fair, I'm thinking the same. I think I might pick up that 3 Hybrid... I think it's perfect for what I need... Even for the dog legs where I usually hit a 4 iron off the tee (I love hitting 4 iron off the tee...)

The Par 5 we have just had a man made water hazard installed, It's about 65-75 yards off the green on the fairway, so you either have to crush drive, and crush a second shot to get on, or be cautious and lay up to the hazard (which i do) - That hole is about 500-510 yards. So say i drive 260, then I'm 170-180 to the hazard and or 250 to the green roughly.

I've had my Cobra F7 3 wood for 2 seasons now and used it 3 times in total, haha. Just can't hit them at all on the fairway, so i usually swing my 5 iron or 4 iron and get good/ok distance, but not enough if there's a bit of wind at my back and i want to take a chance on it, haha.

21. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    again, for me it`s all about asking does the risk outweigh the possible reward? We have one short par 5 that I can reach in two with a driver then 5 iron and has very little other than a bunker guarding the left side of green to be weary of so it`s relatively free swinging. The other par 5`s we have for me, and the majority of golfers are 3 shot par 5`s, all wind and weave so it`s not as simple as just hammering it up the middle twice and onto the green. Driver just isn`t the play at my club on most holes, you can hit a driver too well on our par 5`s and find yourself having to chip out of the woods because it`s just too much club

22. Donnie Shulzhoffer

I have learned that grabbing clubs, hitting balls and liking a feel means diddly. Getting a fitting from a pro for any club is a must. Launch, spin, smash factor all come into play and make all the difference in the world.

23. Prince Pasta

Prince Pasta ANTHONY!

Working on my front wrist in my swing to help close the club face on driver/Wood, and I Hit a Draw yesterday with the Driver. that was pretty exciting

24. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    agreed although for reasons inexplicable, there are just some clubs that I`ve hit and hit well but just didn`t feel "right" or maybe didn`t look right I dunno, ultimately, all my clubs have been fitted and my driver adjusted to my preferences too

Went 39/41 yesterday, bogeyed 18 to miss breaking 80, hit a nice drive but hit side of a hill and rolled directly behind a tree where I had no chance to advance it forward, had to chip it back about 15 yds then missed a putt from 10 feet but made a good stroke.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  25. Sheppy

Sheppy Registered User

Picked up the Taylormade GAPR 3 - I love it. Everything I hit (minus the first two swings) felt really nice, hit it straight and decently far. The perks of it being the end of season and a buddy who's a golf pro - Got it for 30% off.