Official Game of the Year Nominees

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Could be worse considering how wrong the Keighley's get things wrong every year. I'd dump Death Stranding and Smash, move in Outer Wilds and Fire Emblem.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Stupid question, but wasn't Smash 2018? Or am I going crazy?

Definitely looks like a weak year when you spell it out like that.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Stupid question, but wasn't Smash 2018? Or am I going crazy?

Definitely looks like a weak year when you spell it out like that.

They have a cutoff every year so anything that comes out after October* counts towards the next year.

*Unless the guy who runs the award show has a cameo in your game, apparently.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
They have a cutoff every year so anything that comes out after October* counts towards the next year.

*Unless the guy who runs the award show has a cameo in your game, apparently.

Right, December 2018. At least it's consistent. Good to know. :laugh:

I would say Fire Emblem is an easy choice for me personally this year, but I guess they disagree.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I would have also had Fire Emblem in there as well. Out of this list I have trouble picking a stand out GOY

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Death Stranding’s nomination reeks of sycophancy from Keighly.

He’s been swinging from Kojima’s scrotum for years.

Disco Elysium is the legitimate GOTY.

Reactions: Dick Sledge

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
The VGAs always remind me of that one time where Angry Joe completely failed in an interview with Keighley and went on to spin it on his channel as though he destroyed Keighley.

Good times.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Really weak year. Didn't really feel strongly about anything. Only Sekiro feels like a thing that should be there, to me.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Control, Sekiro and RE2 are all great games. I think I'd give it to RE2.

Outer Worlds does not belong on this list at all, a very strange selection. The game is good but I wouldn't put it in the same league as the others.

I haven't played Death Stranding but Kojima games are always an event so it belongs . I'm too old for Smash, I really don't have the patience to get good at it but I can appreciate the "celebration of video games" side to it which makes it so endearing.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I keep hearing so much about Disco Elysium. How much of the game is reading? It looks like it's all readying and decision making. I just don't have the attention span to get into a game like that.

Also, that list of games is atrocious. As a guy with 276 hours in Apex Legends and I still play it, they most certainly do not deserve to be nominated in the community support section. They have been horribly slow with any updates, there's so much radio silence when it comes to bug fixes/content, and they've gone so far as to insult their player base when people were saying their prices for an event were too high. They should probably be highlighted as some of the worst devs of the year.

Personally, my top two games of this year were quite easily Metro Exodus (which I realize is more of a niche title) and Katana Zero. Other notables that I really enjoyed this year were Blasphemous, Trine 4, Devil May Cry 5, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Beat Saber, & Supra Land.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Death Stranding is my game of the year followed very closely by Sekiro. Both have rejuvenated my love for gaming this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->