[Official] Fire/Tolerate Travis Green Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2017
The coach is only 1 of 20 “men” who f***ed up today. I include him because he obviously influenced his skaters and goalies to keep cool. Nilsson and the 18 skaters are gutless and embarrassing. That includes all our darlings like Brock and Bo. Somebody should have made someone in Panther red pay a price, and I look first towards Bo, the chosen one to lead this team. Also towards the meatbags Benning tried to sell us on as being a deterrent. This is the darkest I have felt in a long time about the Canucks.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You can blame the coach and players I guess....but guy who needs to look in the mirror is Benning. You can draft all the whiz-kids you want. But if they're going to get head-hunted out there and there's no retribution from the rest of the lineup, then you're basically nowhere as a franchise.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
The coach is only 1 of 20 “men” who ****ed up today. I include him because he obviously influenced his skaters and goalies to keep cool. Nilsson and the 18 skaters are gutless and embarrassing. That includes all our darlings like Brock and Bo. Somebody should have made someone in Panther red pay a price, and I look first towards Bo, the chosen one to lead this team. Also towards the meatbags Benning tried to sell us on as being a deterrent. This is the darkest I have felt in a long time about the Canucks.
At this point I could care less if they traded Bo Horvat. Didn't like his comments at all. Petterson will be this franchise, not Bo Horvat.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2017
You can blame the coach and players I guess....but guy who needs to look in the mirror is Benning. You can draft all the whiz-kids you want. But if they're going to get head-hunted out there and there's no retribution from the rest of the lineup, then you're basically nowhere as a franchise.
This is one thing I don’t think we can blame Benning for. He provided the coach with multiple bags of meat that he meant to provide a safe environment for the kids. Benning can’t run on to the ice and make anyone do that. Though if he actually did run down to ice level and on the ice and scream at the players for no response I would want him in the ring of honour or even have a banner with his face in the rafters. All sins would be forgiven.

I never understood why people had a problem with tortorella being fighting mad at hartley.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
As many of you know, I am not a big fan of Travis Green at all. Although he is not given much to work with, I think he is an amateur coach. There were red lights from Utica fans during his tenure there of his stubbornness to keep playing certain players and his tactical knowledge. Lets not forget he has never won anything in the AHL level at all.

Tonight was the last straw for me.

The coach is the leader in this room, and tonight he really showed his true colors. He clearly values his job (2 points) more then protecting our most valued assets. The fact that he told his players not to retaliate after Petterson was hurt speaks volume of his spineless character.

Alain Vigneault would have not let this slide and I'm 100% sure John Torterella would not have let this go.

It's time we end the experiment and it's time we get a real NHL coach behind the bench. Coaches talk about winning the right way and fighting for your team. When you decide to give a free pass to a team that just injured your future franchise player, it really speaks volume of where this team's identity is going. We are not going to win anything with this man behind the bench and it's time for us to look at alternatives.

Vigneault would let it slide. Literally the same thing happened when we played Chicago after the Keith elbow to Daniel, and we did not retaliate and had the whole game to do so.

Reactions: mossey3535

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Vigneault would let it slide. Literally the same thing happened when we played Chicago after the Keith elbow to Daniel, and we did not retaliate and had the whole game to do so.

Do you even remember the game? At least there was some response from Bieksa and Burrows. What bugs us is that nothing was done here... not even the standard chirping.

Keep thinking that it's the same case back then, because clearly you were not around.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Do you even remember the game? At least there was some response from Bieksa and Burrows. What bugs us is that nothing was done here... not even the standard chirping.

Keep thinking that it's the same case back then, because clearly you were not around.

I was referencing the follow up game I went to, since we didn’t do anything crazy that game. I thought there would be more of a response. I remember booing the shit out of Keith and being surprised that the Canucks focused on winning the game over seeking their revenge. Keith never got challenged, maybe a hit or two but nothing too far out of the ordinary. I was surprised and wanted Keith to answer the bell, but I realize how much parity is in the league and how valuable 2 points can be. Besides, we only had a shift or two with Matheson on the ice to goon it up. Green did his job, just like 90% of what people would do here. There’s something to be said about beating an opponent on the scoresheet, kind of taking the high road - especially after that bs call to bring the face off into our zone at the end. Anything could happen on the January 13th game though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomobo

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I was referencing the follow up game I went to, since we didn’t do anything crazy that game. I thought there would be more of a response. I remember booing the **** out of Keith and being surprised that the Canucks focused on winning the game over seeking their revenge. Keith never got challenged, maybe a hit or two but nothing too far out of the ordinary. I was surprised and wanted Keith to answer the bell, but I realize how much parity is in the league and how valuable 2 points can be. Besides, we only had a shift or two with Matheson on the ice to goon it up. Green did his job, just like 90% of what people would do here. There’s something to be said about beating an opponent on the scoresheet, kind of taking the high road - especially after that bs call to bring the face off into our zone at the end. Anything could happen on the January 13th game though.

I understand where you're coming from, but we were in a playoff position at the time. Also, this wasn't about the next game, it's more on what the Canucks didn't do after the hit during the game.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I understand the emotions but this thread is silly. Start a fire Travis Green thread after a win? If you look back at the video of the throwdown, there really wasn't anyone around to see it. It did not appear that other Canucks players saw or knew what happened. The time to push back was right then. Not after going back to the bench and seeing/figuring out what happened.

As for Green, he shouldn't tell his players to seek retribution. If he did and something happens, you have the Crawford and Steve Moore scenario.

Those who blame Benning is even sillier. You want him to sign and push for goons to be dressed in the lineup? The league has changed. Benning favours toughness over the ability to fight.

I never understood why people had a problem with tortorella being fighting mad at hartley.

It shouldn't be that hard to understand. It's no different from not wanting your star players or best PKer to get into fights or your parents in the stands duking it out. Listen to Gillis' recent interview. It's one thing for Torts to show his emotion and wanting to jump over the glass to get at Hartley. But this was at the intermission. What Torts did was stupid and he got himself suspended.

I have no problems with Torts being crazy mad at Hartley, calling him gutless, or even challenging him to a fight. But you don't expect an executive at corporate or branch level to "lose it."

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
This thread is dumb. I'm as mad as anyone else, bht to blame green on this one is just fuxjjbg dumb. Green is a good coach, he's also not gonna be the one to tell guddy you have to do something.

Reactions: Real Gudbranson

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
This thread is dumb. I'm as mad as anyone else, bht to blame green on this one is just fuxjjbg dumb. Green is a good coach, he's also not gonna be the one to tell guddy you have to do something.

I don't like Green as a coach. His favoritism of vets, no matter the quality of play, is infuriating.

He can't put a hit on Matheson.
Gudbranson et co need to take the initiative on that. That is what they are paid to do. You can't incriminate the Canucks organization.

Reactions: Andre Boudrias
Feb 24, 2017
I understand the emotions but this thread is silly. Start a fire Travis Green thread after a win? If you look back at the video of the throwdown, there really wasn't anyone around to see it. It did not appear that other Canucks players saw or knew what happened. The time to push back was right then. Not after going back to the bench and seeing/figuring out what happened.

As for Green, he shouldn't tell his players to seek retribution. If he did and something happens, you have the Crawford and Steve Moore scenario.

Those who blame Benning is even sillier. You want him to sign and push for goons to be dressed in the lineup? The league has changed. Benning favours toughness over the ability to fight.

It shouldn't be that hard to understand. It's no different from not wanting your star players or best PKer to get into fights or your parents in the stands duking it out. Listen to Gillis' recent interview. It's one thing for Torts to show his emotion and wanting to jump over the glass to get at Hartley. But this was at the intermission. What Torts did was stupid and he got himself suspended.

I have no problems with Torts being crazy mad at Hartley, calling him gutless, or even challenging him to a fight. But you don't expect an executive at corporate or branch level to "lose it."
This isn’t business. It is competition.

Feb 24, 2017
Anyone saying don’t fire green is wrong. Cut and dried. He failed today. He put 2 points ahead of the well being of this team. Yeah, he can’t go back in time and make pettersson not be hurt. What can he do? Send his entire team out to do the best they can in punishing the panthers to show every other team DO NOT f*** WITH US OR ELSE.

Reactions: Andre Boudrias

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Anyone saying don’t fire green is wrong. Cut and dried. He failed today. He put 2 points ahead of the well being of this team. Yeah, he can’t go back in time and make pettersson not be hurt. What can he do? Send his entire team out to do the best they can in punishing the panthers to show every other team DO NOT **** WITH US OR ELSE.

He can't do that.

This is on the grit, leadership and toughness we pay premium dollar to fill the roster.
There cannot be a Steve Moore situation where the player targeted is green lit by the organisation.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C

I usually agree with you on many things, however I have to disagree. We are not seeking a Steve Moore scenario here or are advocating that we dress goons in the lineup, what we wanted was some sort of push back from the team to show that they actually cared for each other. This teenager just came into the league and gets body slammed down on the ice head first, and our coach and team decides that 2 meaningless points is more important? You know why we loved the 2011 team so much? They always had each others back, they would have never let something like this happen, I didn't see a single chirp from those players and our coach.

I understand this is hockey and there are risks, but come on now, this team had the responsibility to protect Elias Petterson. If they couldn't do this task (as it happened), then they had the responsibility to respond to anyone that tries to hurt him. I just watched a video a couple of days back about his parents being proud and his mother being worried that he might get injured. Now that the worst has happened, I really do feel that we've let them down by not responding. It sucks.

I have been a critic of Green since he was hired, this incident was just the icing on the cake. To me what the Canucks did was completely unacceptable and gutless.

Last edited:

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
There are two sides here. Green is focused on the win and maintaining a level of discipline on the team. Just keep in the mode you are in - focus on playing the system and keeping your emotions under control. That is who Green is and this a professional and very rational attitude. And Green is nothing else if he isn't rational

The problem here is the focus is, in many of our minds, too limited. If you step back and look long term, the emphasis should be on overall development of the team. In this case, you don't mind losing a few if you establish that you are determined to protect certain players. You put that as a priority. Canucks are bringing youth into the lineup and they must make sure that these players are developed for the future and not driven out of the League. You recognize that you are unlikely to win anything much in the near term so you look to the future. If this means you play someone who is of lesser ability but who can protect others you do it. And if that means you change your drafting or free agent pickups, you do it.

This situation emphasizes the underlying problem with the franchise. We have a dumb, egotistical owner who can't take a long term view. He pushes an already incompetent leadership group to take short cuts to eke out wins. You could see this with Desjardins. Everyone knew that you were going to be fired if you didn't win now. I remember old Willie desperately disputing every call and every goal even when the team was totally out of the playoffs. The focus was absolutely on the near term (in Willie's case the next shift). Young players were and still are commonly benched to keep us so-called competitive.

To many, the critical point is allowing your young players to develop with some protection. And there was many people they could have picked up in the off-season who would provide some of this.

I think many of us believe that during Pettersson.s initiation into the League, he must be protected. He is the most important piece in looking to the future. That protection should have been a very important priority last summer. Of course, with the dim-witted Aquilini and the equally dim-witted Benning and co., they got more concerned with the internal politics (such as dumping Linden) than ensuring that Pettersson had some back up.

The way that Pettersson got man-handled can not be allowed. And while, I can see Green's point, I was perturbed with the big grin on his face when the future of the franchise was in the dressing room concussed. It is an example of the short term thinking that has plagued this franchise in the Aquilini era. And I fear nothing will change while the present ownership is in charge.

Feb 24, 2017
There are two sides here. Green is focused on the win and maintaining a level of discipline on the team. Just keep in the mode you are in - focus on playing the system and keeping your emotions under control. That is who Green is and this a professional and very rational attitude. And Green is nothing else if he isn't rational

The problem here is the focus is, in many of our minds, too limited. If you step back and look long term, the emphasis should be on overall development of the team. In this case, you don't mind losing a few if you establish that you are determined to protect certain players. You put that as a priority. Canucks are bringing youth into the lineup and they must make sure that these players are developed for the future and not driven out of the League. You recognize that you are unlikely to win anything much in the near term so you look to the future. If this means you play someone who is of lesser ability but who can protect others you do it. And if that means you change your drafting or free agent pickups, you do it.

This situation emphasizes the underlying problem with the franchise. We have a dumb, egotistical owner who can't take a long term view. He pushes an already incompetent leadership group to take short cuts to eke out wins. You could see this with Desjardins. Everyone knew that you were going to be fired if you didn't win now. I remember old Willie desperately disputing every call and every goal even when the team was totally out of the playoffs. The focus was absolutely on the near term (in Willie's case the next shift). Young players were and still are commonly benched to keep us so-called competitive.

To many, the critical point is allowing your young players to develop with some protection. And there was many people they could have picked up in the off-season who would provide some of this.

I think many of us believe that during Pettersson.s initiation into the League, he must be protected. He is the most important piece in looking to the future. That protection should have been a very important priority last summer. Of course, with the dim-witted Aquilini and the equally dim-witted Benning and co., they got more concerned with the internal politics (such as dumping Linden) than ensuring that Pettersson had some back up.

The way that Pettersson got man-handled can not be allowed. And while, I can see Green's point, I was perturbed with the big grin on his face when the future of the franchise was in the dressing room concussed. It is an example of the short term thinking that has plagued this franchise in the Aquilini era. And I fear nothing will change while the present ownership is in charge.
Green has to go. He accepted the franchise future being jeapordized for future 2018-2019 points 74 and 75.

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
At this point I could care less if they traded Bo Horvat. Didn't like his comments at all. Petterson will be this franchise, not Bo Horvat.
Yes i do not want bo to be the captain of this team. If canucks get lucky and draft jack hughes, our top 2 centre will be jack and EP. Horvat can move down to 3c. If he dont like it then he can be traded for a good dman.
J hughes - EP - Gaudette are canucks future down the middle.

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
Green thinks getting 2 points in october is more important than protecting the franchise player that will help canucks rack up some wins and help him keep his job.

No EP, lets see if this team even win 2 of the next ten games or so.

Last edited:

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
This seems a little irrational. Yes Travis Green dropped the ball not defending Pettersson but situations like this you look for the leaders on your team to take action. You think Bieksa or Kesler or Burrows let's that go?
Nope.
The leadership group hear needs to step up. Guys like Bo, Edler and Tanev need to set examples for the rest of the group. And where was "big balls" Sutter? You can't pin it all on the coach. Times like this show why we don't have a captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad