[Official] Fire/Tolerate Travis Green Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
I've said for awhile that Green has done nothing for Virtanen's development. LIke you could make an argument that Jakey has looked his best this season, after he worked with Pavel Barber in the off-season. So Pavel Barber has done more to develop Jakey than the entire Canucks coaching staff.

Jakey's regression lately is just more evidence that nobody is talking to this kid and telling him what to do. Because he is off, he looks totally clueless. It also explains why somehow Pouliot and Guddy are essentially the same players - they never change.

I'm a bit puzzled by this. For the first time in his career Jake actually has his head up while entering the zone. He's not a completely new man this year, but there are signs in his game that his coaches have been telling him what to do, and there's been some payoff as a result.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Craig Button says Travis Green should get Jack Adams consideration. What a great coach we have.

If Canucks make the playoffs, he should absolutely get consideration since it was unilaterally agreed upon that Canucks would be competing for first overall in the 2019 draft. On paper, majority of teams in the NHL have better line-ups yet here we are and Canucks are in the thick of competing in the playoffs.

Kudos Green and the entire line-up for working their ass off and grinding through the season to actually showing significant progress from last season.

Reactions: Ryan Miller*

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I'm a bit puzzled by this. For the first time in his career Jake actually has his head up while entering the zone. He's not a completely new man this year, but there are signs in his game that his coaches have been telling him what to do, and there's been some payoff as a result.

People just regurgitating what they hear. “Power forward” “has soft hands”.

Tyler Motte has more hits than him. Jes a big body but really doesn’t intimidate anyone. He rocked Connor McD once a couple years ago. That’s about it.

He misses more breakaways than he scores. His hands aren’t that soft.

He’s got fast feet , and a big body. Likely will always be fighting for a spot in the NHL on this team or any other.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I don't think this guy's even a bad coach. He just comes across as a total dick in basically every public appearance.

He makes the average mistakes you'd expect (i.e. strange obsessions with rando veterans), but seems to think he's Scotty Bowman part deux.

At least Willie D was "folky" versus greasy. Green seems to be a better coach though.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
If Canucks make the playoffs, he should absolutely get consideration since it was unilaterally agreed upon that Canucks would be competing for first overall in the 2019 draft. On paper, majority of teams in the NHL have better line-ups yet here we are and Canucks are in the thick of competing in the playoffs.

Kudos Green and the entire line-up for working their ass off and grinding through the season to actually showing significant progress from last season.
We have a 0.7 % chance of making the playoffs.....take your head out of your a**

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
It was posted Feb 3. Chances were not great, but significantly higher.
The underlying fundamentals were the same. Our current position was inevitable given the crap roster and Green’s mgmt of it.

406in604

Mar 4, 2019
If people really want Green fired they should ask themselves "who could win any more games with this roster and these injuries?"

Reactions: GrogZilla

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Travis Greens assessment of the team after this game was really revealing

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Basically said thought the team was better, and that Vegas was just way better. Seemed totally lost for answers.

That's concerning, its honest, but you would hope the coach could have some answers how to fix things/move forward. I still feel this thread was a little premature/kneejerkish in how it got started, but his being a rookie coach in the NHL seems like its starting to show more at this point of the season.

Question I guess is does Green deserve more rope, and would someone like Quenneville be able to do much with this current roster?

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
That's concerning, its honest, but you would hope the coach could have some answers how to fix things/move forward. I still feel this thread was a little premature/kneejerkish in how it got started, but his being a rookie coach in the NHL seems like its starting to show more at this point of the season.

Question I guess is does Green deserve more rope, and would someone like Quenneville be able to do much with this current roster?

If Benning is still here, I honestly don’t think it matters imho

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't think this guy's even a bad coach. He just comes across as a total dick in basically every public appearance.

He makes the average mistakes you'd expect (i.e. strange obsessions with rando veterans), but seems to think he's Scotty Bowman part deux.

At least Willie D was "folky" versus greasy. Green seems to be a better coach though.

I thought Green's post-game interviews are generally pretty fair and his answers are generally honest and thought through, if at times a little curt. He does come across as pretty monotone and slow paced so he's certainly not an exciting interview. Keep in mind that even when his team wins he's preparing himself to answer questions that asks him to criticize something.

I like Green. There are some big name coaches available or a guy like Sheldon Keefe who is basically a more established version of Green when he was hired.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Meh, even Coach Q couldn't make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Nearly every fan base thinks their coach makes questionable line up decisions and has weird obsessions with low talent veterans... and the coaches that don't are usually blessed with a roster full of actual NHL players, something Green doesn't have.

Green isn't the problem here... hes just the waiter. Blame the chef... and perhaps the owner of the restaurant.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Meh, even Coach Q couldn't make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

Nearly every fan base thinks their coach makes questionable line up decisions and has weird obsessions with low talent veterans... and the coaches that don't are usually blessed with a roster full of actual NHL players, something Green doesn't have.

Green isn't the problem here... hes just the waiter. Blame the chef... and perhaps the owner of the restaurant.

I rather we burn the entire restaurant, chef and waiter in it. Start fresh and build a new restaurant.

Reactions: mossey3535

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I rather we burn the entire restaurant, chef and waiter in it. Start fresh and build a new restaurant.
At the very least try new assistants behind Green. Like some established experienced guys. I know people don’t like him but Guy Boucher’s teams are always quality PP teams. The lowly Sens are 13th in PP% for the league at just over 20%.

Reactions: Brock Olli Juolevi

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Constant losing has that effect. He trapped between defending
"the future" and not being able to tell us how crap the team he was handed is.

Agreed. Losing takes it's toll on everybody in every avenue of life. Add to this the fact he's already got a bit of an ego combines for a not so inviting personality.

I also can't get a handle on Green as a head coach in the NHL. This team is garbage and he really only has a handful of players to run with who are clearly out of gas at this point in the season after being asked to carry such a heavy workload.

I'd like to see what Green could do with a better team. Or at least a team with 2 lines of legitimate top 6 forwards instead of 1 and a bunch of 4th liners to round it out. Sadly, I doubt we ever see that during his tenure.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
At the very least try new assistants behind Green. Like some established experienced guys. I know people don’t like him but Guy Boucher’s teams are always quality PP teams. The lowly Sens are 13th in PP% for the league at just over 20%.

...yeah, the Powerplay and Defense have just been awful all year round. Penalty Kill has been our only decent special team.

That the Powerplay is so abysmal this year is mind boggling with two high quality weapons in Brock and Petey on it.

I'm willing to see what Green does with the roster next season as you can at least argue for some positive developments from Virtanen, Hutton and finally Goldobin under his watch, and the team has been competitive most of the season, but I would replace Baumgartner and Brown asap.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
...yeah, the Powerplay and Defense have just been awful all year round. Penalty Kill has been our only decent special team.

That the Powerplay is so abysmal this year is mind boggling with two high quality weapons in Brock and Petey on it.

I'm willing to see what Green does with the roster next season as you can at least argue for some positive developments from Virtanen, Hutton and finally Goldobin under his watch, and the team has been competitive most of the season, but I would replace Baumgartner and Brown asap.
Baumer/Brown out and bring in experienced guys behind Green. One of which would be the likely turn too if we fire Green mid season at all. Which is why I like Guy Boucher. Experienced guy, always have good PP. just look at the Sens roster and tell me with a straight face they should be a 20% efficiency PP team?

Reactions: ErrantShepherd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->