Speculation: Official Fantasy Trade Offers/Armchair GM Thread: 2018-20 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Toronto fan....

Any interest in a deal around Pysyk and Brown? Leafs perhaps adding a 4th onto the deal?

Thanks.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Thinking somewhat short AND long term, and more of an offseason move to convince OV to add us to his no trade if we're not already(he owns property here) and the repeat doesn't happen...

Considering OV did bring the parade to Washington, and they are still well built from top to bottom. Also, if Washington keeps the team they have as they have it, the transition into their inevitable rebuild phase won't be a nice one especially going into Seattle's expansion draft...

The Panthers are in desperate need of something most major. And super refreshing.

Ovechkin is 33 at the tail end of his prime. I would estimate he is likely has 2 or 3 great years before his age would slow him any. Maybe a couple more, who knows. We got Jagr to stand up from his wheelchair and look what he did. I'm taking marketability into heavy consideration as 33 year old Alex Ovechkin for the next 3 years will sell a jersey to every breathing Panthers fan as Bure did(forget the bobbleheads, t-shirts, etc.)

Hoffman is 29, couple years left in his contract, in the middle of his prime, our best goal scorer.

Dadonov is 29, also a couple years left, also in the middle of his prime, under Hoff and Barkov(who will die a Panther, don't even. He and Vince will die as career Panthers).

and the kicker- Huberdeau is 25 and entering his prime. No explanation necessary for the Caps here. Panthers justify this by asking if the fans want to see the next few years waiting for their successful AHL team to translate into joining Barkov and Trocheck with Ovechkin and his record chase, or if they want the next 5-7 years with Huberdeau. Sometimes ya gotta sacrifice the queen to have the best chance to win.

Opening up 2 roster slot more for the Panthers, and adding a bit of contract space to Washington, and a bit of youth that losing Huberdeau brings, the Panthers take Brett Connolly not only to level out the contract, but to fill a role usually filled with aged end of the liners. Sure he produces less than Huberdeau, but Connolly replaces Brouwer and fill that roles for the next 5 years. Washington adding two more guys can spare whoever to Seattle when the time comes.

Also as we see the cap rising for this to be possible- Washington's top 6 (or 7) for the next 5 years solid now reads Backstrom, Kuzy, Hoffman, Oshie, Dadonov, Huberdeau, and Wilson.

Ovechkin and Connolly for Hoffman, Dadonov, and Huberdeau.

Yay or nay?
Posted this in the main boards, whatchyall think? Be nice if you disagree, and say why.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
We wouldn’t trade 3 of our 4 best offensive players for a 33yr old ovi. It’d be a net loss

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Great. All that typing as to how I think it really does make sense for both, and that's what I get. Thanks.

...care to elaborate?
Ovechkin is a superstar but it we trade these three, we decimate our forward group. Who do we play then?

Our forward group would be reduced to Barkov, Trochek, Ovechkin and Connelly. Borgstrom can't be relied on to produce significantly next year yet, Hepo if he's even NHL ready would be a rookie - again, can't be relied on, Tippett might need a year in the AHL, Denisenko and Noel are years away... Who exactly would be there on the offence; Vatrano, Malgin and McCann??

It'll take two or three years minimum for our "kids" to develop from support cast into impactful players. By then Ovechkin will be 36, his contract ends and he might move on. This really doesn't make any sense to me.

Anyway, if I'm trading any of these guys I want quality defence back.

The marketing idea is nice but IMO this doesn't make us better short term and makes us significantly worse long term.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Ovechkin is a superstar but it we trade these three, we decimate our forward group. Who do we play then?

Our forward group would be reduced to Barkov, Trochek, Ovechkin and Connelly. Borgstrom can't be relied on to produce significantly next year yet, Hepo if he's even NHL ready would be a rookie - again, can't be relied on, Tippett might need a year in the AHL, Denisenko and Noel are years away... Who exactly would be there on the offence; Vatrano, Malgin and McCann??

It'll take two or three years minimum for our "kids" to develop from support cast into impactful players. By then Ovechkin will be 36, his contract ends and he might move on. This really doesn't make any sense to me.

Anyway, if I'm trading any of these guys I want quality defence back.

The marketing idea is nice but IMO this doesn't make us better short term and makes us significantly worse long term.
I can always count on this one for good details, whether fully agreed or not.

By the time OV is 36, now Hoff and Dad are 32. Do you think OV loses his ability to shoot at age 36, and/or unwilling to resign if we're on our way to success?

Also, we're much more attractive to any free agent with OV, no?

If we can't count on the logjam of prospects we have, we're f***ed on our way to Quebec anyway.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Sabres fan here wondering if McCann could be available and what he would cost. What does Florida need? Defensemen?

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Rather not move a goalie. Do you guys need defense at all? Or a different type of forward you’re looking for? Help on the wing maybe?
No, we want the goalie.
.....or a Rasmus ;)
In all seriousness, we don't need forwards, and Buffalo has even less depth there than FL does. We probably already have a version of what you may offer.
D, we need, but until last draft, that was Buffalo's main weakness. Who do they have to offer?

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
No, we want the goalie.
.....or a Rasmus ;)
In all seriousness, we don't need forwards, and Buffalo has even less depth there than FL does. We probably already have a version of what you may offer.
D, we need, but until last draft, that was Buffalo's main weakness. Who do they have to offer?

Scandella? Beaulieu has actually been pretty solid and has been putting up offense when he plays. He regained his form from a few years ago. No longer a tire fire.

I know he’s older but could something around Scandella for McCann work? Or something around Scandella & Rodrigues for McCann & one of Pysyk or Petrovic?

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Scandella? Beaulieu has actually been pretty solid and has been putting up offense when he plays. He regained his form from a few years ago. No longer a tire fire.

I know he’s older but could something around Scandella for McCann work? Or something around Scandella & Rodrigues for McCann & one of Pysyk or Petrovic?
Thank you for not saying Bogosian, lol.
Scandella has no interest from me. I'd rather they just kept McCann.
Lol, Beaulieu has improved from the "blow-you" of recent years?
You might have better luck trying to get Malgin for Casey Nelson (I hope I have his name right) or Guhle. But, I'm the last guy to play GM, I just chimed in because I really like Ullmark.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Thank you for not saying Bogosian, lol.
Scandella has no interest from me. I'd rather they just kept McCann.
Lol, Beaulieu has improved from the "blow-you" of recent years?
You might have better luck trying to get Malgin for Casey Nelson (I hope I have his name right) or Guhle. But, I'm the last guy to play GM, I just chimed in because I really like Ullmark.

Yea, and I guess it’s oke of those things where “rising water raises all ships”, and that’s kind of happened to the value of a lot of our players now that Buffalo is having success.

Take Bogosian for example. A year ago he was a huge cap dump. No one is saying to give him big money, but people are wondering that if he can stay healthy, is he worth a short term deal after next year.

I think part of it was just how bad we were last season. The change to this year has given us a bit of homer bias on a lot of our guys.

But I will agree, Ullmark has been pretty impressive so far in the season. Having him and Hutton is great because they really do challenge each other. Neither can slack because the other is always challenging for playing time. It’s a nice scenario to have.

As for “Malgin”, don’t know much about him. But I think we’d be looking for a more established guy to help limit Mittelstadt’s matchup exposure

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
i want a defensive-minded assistant who can coax even decent defensive play from ekblad and matheson.

is that too much to ask?

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Firstly, I'm a Jets fan, I'll get that out of the way and get to my point.

I see a lot of chatter in this thread regarding Aaron Ekblad. Some hate, some love, but any thought of trading him usually results in the argument against it being that it weakens your right side. What about a deal involving Ekblad where Jacob Trouba is the return? Trouba is currently on a one-year deal with RFA status this summer and arbitration rights, meaning he can take the team to arbitration and accept a one-year deal and be UFA in the summer of 2020. Florida could sit and wait out the year and simply sign him as a UFA, but it would behoove them to get head of the group of suitors as he'll certainly be a highly sought out free agent, should he make it to market, raising his value considerably.

During Trouba's holdout three seasons ago, it was rumored that Florida was a preferred destination, so a long term contract in Florida is a very conceivable notion, and shouldn't be a detriment to a trade. A Trouba trade this summer is looking very likely, but while the Jets are currently contending, it limits the return as taking only futures would result in a downturn against the current trajectory of the team. This lead me to Ekblad as he could slide into Trouba's spot in the lineup without too much disruption. Ekblad's signed long term at $7.5 per, I'm thinking Trouba will end up at that figure minimum, so salary-wise, it's a wash, (especially getting to negotiate early would certainly favor the Panthers over the rest of the league). The stats show Trouba is currently the better player, but is two years older and misses more games on average. In Winnipeg, Trouba is behind Byfuglien, (and sometimes Myers) when it comes to power play time, so his total numbers are a little lower, however his points per 60 minutes are sky high. In Florida, I'd imagine he'd be getting plenty of power play time from the right side, granted I don't know how the Panthers set up their power play, whether they go 3F2D or run 4F1D, and with Yandle there, he'd be 1st unit if only 1D for sure.

Bottom line question is, how do Panthers feel about a Ekblad for Trouba swap?

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den

I see a lot of chatter in this thread regarding Aaron Ekblad. Some hate, some love, but any thought of trading him usually results in the argument against it being that it weakens your right side. What about a deal involving Ekblad where Jacob Trouba is the return? Trouba is currently on a one-year deal with RFA status this summer and arbitration rights, meaning he can take the team to arbitration and accept a one-year deal and be UFA in the summer of 2020. Florida could sit and wait out the year and simply sign him as a UFA, but it would behoove them to get head of the group of suitors as he'll certainly be a highly sought out free agent, should he make it to market, raising his value considerably.

During Trouba's holdout three seasons ago, it was rumored that Florida was a preferred destination, so a long term contract in Florida is a very conceivable notion, and shouldn't be a detriment to a trade. A Trouba trade this summer is looking very likely, but while the Jets are currently contending, it limits the return as taking only futures would result in a downturn against the current trajectory of the team. This lead me to Ekblad as he could slide into Trouba's spot in the lineup without too much disruption. Ekblad's signed long term at $7.5 per, I'm thinking Trouba will end up at that figure minimum, so salary-wise, it's a wash, (especially getting to negotiate early would certainly favor the Panthers over the rest of the league). The stats show Trouba is currently the better player, but is two years older and misses more games on average. In Winnipeg, Trouba is behind Byfuglien, (and sometimes Myers) when it comes to power play time, so his total numbers are a little lower, however his points per 60 minutes are sky high. In Florida, I'd imagine he'd be getting plenty of power play time from the right side, granted I don't know how the Panthers set up their power play, whether they go 3F2D or run 4F1D, and with Yandle there, he'd be 1st unit if only 1D for sure.

Trouba might command more than Ekblad, scores less and is older doesn't make much sense for us. Ekblad still has a ways of upside more he hasn't even entered his prime yet

Reactions: Beezeral

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Trouba owns a $1.4M Condo on Ft. Lauderdale beach in the Auberge. It's just an investment and a place to spend some time in the off season. As long as Tallon's the GM, Ekblad stays put. If he's not resigned as his contract is over at the end of the season, then whoever comes in might take a look at that deal.

Kis and Petro are not the type of D-men that Mr. Boo likes. He likes guys that can turn it up quickly in transition from the blue line out. Ek is kind of a tweener as he certainly has the skill and shot to score but he is an anchor in quick transition. :)

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida

It'll never happen. Pointless to discuss.

Reactions: Beezeral
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad