Status
Not open for further replies.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Slava Voynov, come on down!

I kid.

I dunno, whoever we aim for as a defensive upgrade, it has to be someone who leans towards playing physical defense over offense. We already have at least three defensemen who contribute a decent amount offensively, gotta have some stronger shutdown ability back there.

We can be mad at Bob all we want, but we had this same problem last year with all the goals we keep giving up. The only change we’ve made was add Stralman and bring up Stillman. The same people making mistakes defensively last year are the same ones doing it this year. You can figure out who that is for yourself.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Neither of them is top dman which Dale is after. Just the fact they are available doesn't give room for the mental gymnastics that would allow them to be viewed as top pairing defensemen. Who knows if Viola is already preparing the next GM to take over after the season is done by not allowing any big, long term contractual agreements getting acceptance and Dale is just blabbering empty promises in nhl.com.

Yes because top pairing D-man are readily available and teams are willing to part with them right?

Outside Pietroangelo who is an RHD, there isnt one out there.

Besides, Ekblad has shown to be capable of handling the top pairing responsibility. He just needs someone who is responsible and is consistent game in and game out to handle the left side. Removing Matheson from there is already step one. It's just a matter of replacing him.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Yes because top pairing D-man are readily available and teams are willing to part with them right?

Outside Pietroangelo who is an RHD, there isnt one out there.

Besides, Ekblad has shown to be capable of handling the top pairing responsibility. He just needs someone who is responsible and is consistent game in and game out to handle the left side. Removing Matheson from there is already step one. It's just a matter of replacing him.

There's plenty of other guys than Piet out there who can handle top pairing minutes but on the same token you don't have to take dive into the bargain bin and claim that your findings are capable of heavy duty minutes. How are you gonna package Matheson as a cap dump to rebuilding team? Especially when teams aren't focusing on doing any this Dale-shit with a 5 year rebuild which actually turns out to be a +10 year rebuild, etc but are trying to get back into the playoffs after two, three year drought while Matheson still has six years left on his contract after this season and we're not talking about some much coveted player here either. For an instance, try selling Matheson as the next Ceci for the Maple Laughs on the trade board, let's see what'll happen. Simply put, there isn't a market for him unless you put some serious sugar coating on his abilities for a prospective buyer. imo Matheson is equally difficult to trade away as Barkov and Ekblad are but for the very opposite reasons.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
There's plenty of other guys than Piet out there who can handle top pairing minutes but on the same token you don't have to take dive into the bargain bin and claim that your findings are capable of heavy duty minutes. How are you gonna package Matheson as a cap dump to rebuilding team? Especially when teams aren't focusing on doing any this Dale-**** with a 5 year rebuild which actually turns out to be a +10 year rebuild, etc but are trying to get back into the playoffs after two, three year drought while Matheson still has six years left on his contract after this season and we're not talking about some much coveted player here either. For an instance, try selling Matheson as the next Ceci for the Maple Laughs on the trade board, let's see what'll happen. Simply put, there isn't a market for him unless you put some serious sugar coating on his abilities for a prospective buyer. imo Matheson is equally difficult to trade away as Barkov and Ekblad are but for the very opposite reasons.

Anaheim GM Bob Murray already said he will take on bad contracts for futures. Ottawa took 5 years of Zaitsev in the Connor Brown deal. It happens all the time.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Hjalmarsson makes a lot of money for what he does. I doubt we'd want that on the books for another year.

Hoffman is a 30+ goal scorer. His value is significantly higher than Hjalmarsson's on the market. Adding Pysyk and Grabner makes it even more lopsided. Grabner is overpaid for what he can do and Pysyk is a better player all around.

Thanks but no thanks. We'd maybe send you a low tier prospect and a pick for Hjalmarsson, but only if you're willing to eat salary.

Either that or take Matheson for him lol.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
The rules when it comes to accruing cap space are funky when LTIR is involved. Essentially, while a player is on LTIR, your cap space is only increased by the amount of the player's salary on LTIR. You can't use accrued cap space when LTIR is in use. Once the Panthers no longer have a player on LTIR, their cap space will go back to what they had already accrued which was around 2 million. I'm not an expert on the cap so the explanation isn't perfect, but I'm 99% sure I'm right that once Drediger is taken off LTIR, the deadline cap space will jump up to around 2.2 million.

I'm not sure but I think only after you hit the cap the LTIR effect spills over. You don't gain any cap relief from LTIR before that. That's how I've understood it but haven't checked the details.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Where's the cap space to acquire this?

I don't think a lot of people realize how difficult it will be for us to add anything significant at the deadline unless we move out a Hoffman or a Matheson (extremely difficult contract to trade, especially in-season).

Our deadline cap space is $141,250 as of now...good luck getting much of anything done with that.

Sorry why keeping Matheson? How much more Season, Chances he most get. His contract is great, his Game not so and so far i can see he cant play a physcial Game. His Stick Check Game is limited, you cant play it all the time and when he cant produce and only another Puck Carrier Defensman then why keep on holding him all the Time.
If we really go after a Top4 Defensman no matter who it will be, i await a Player Swap with Matheson on the other Side.

Last Season he was not mental ready to keep up the pressure of hard times, this Season its more limited but still doesnt play with his Body. Did you here the Fans reaction after Stillman placed a solid Hit, the Crowd no matter what get back into this Game and the Game overall get more Emotions. But that helped our Team. We get a Goal against cause our Defensman, doesnt know how to play there Roll and when you better play the Player before the Puck.

He is now 25 Years old and still dont know or unwilled to play physical in a top level League. How many Years does he play Hockey, did no Coach told him check the Player.
And its only Yandle how avoids more Contact then Matheson. He played now around 300 NHL Games and show no Sign of Defensiv development.

Now its on the GM to handle this Situation, better earlier then later. Our GM told the Team on 1st Day Camp, all have to prove this Year.
What does Matheson prove this Year, unconcistent and still one trick pony.

Now im in the Mood lets make a long post. Matheson done next Player.

Trocheck could be happy he was Injured or not, great wrap around Goal, what a Team play. Oh Huby give him the Puck so he can score all alone. Not much scoreing and Game from him, but other Player on the Team showed better Team play then him.

In my Opinion people ask how to hold Hoffman and Dadonov, get rid of Trocheck. Proveing Year, what does he prove, that no matter which Linemates, beside Huberdeau, you give him he cant play with them. Its not great for the Line its not great for the Team. limited PP Time or PP Unite 2 ( who are not really working) limited Points. A single Game this Year, where he showed i also have an Eye for my Linesmates and make the right Pass, before is skate into 3-4 Defensman.

Time to prove Jayce, no my favorit Player. 4th Line not much place to discuss some good some are bad and sometimes a Defensman play a better roll then a Forward who played this Position over Years.
Doesnt cost much so okay, depth Player. But other one in the Line are also promising like him. Last Game he showed his Eye for the Game, the Puck was played out by Vegas, the Defensman was 10 steps away from Jayce but he wanted to place a Check, for what reason ever. A Panther Player stealing the Puck in Neutral Zone, want to go back into Vegas Zone. But cant, cause Jayce was still in the Vegas Zone, from his Check no one needed. So the Panthers must dumped the Puck back into vegas Zone and turn the Puck over again.
Sorry time to prove, what does he prove he finish the Check but dont know when he is 24 and had around 53 NHL Games.

Denis Malgin yeah @pantherbot describe him as a Player who can pass, can make place, has the Speed. But cant score decend and is limited about his Size, or another real Late Bloomer like Grimaldi. But he need a Coach or Hand to show him a way to play his Game and that must be away from the Boards. Not much to say against it, had also a Year to prove that maybe he can score more. He has Playmaker skills, but cant place the Numbers behind it.

Connolly Started to be a 30 Goal Scorer but not much from him in a Decent Time, 13 Games without a Goal. His overall game also inconcistent, but a BoardBattle Player. First Year not much he has to prove. But with his current Game he is not a 2nd Line Player.

Toninato, Acciari, Vatrano all three Players played like they had something to prove, sure some get the luck on there Side, but maybe the 3 winner this Year.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
A wish list for the next season a lá Pronger:

Huberdeau - Barkov - Anderson
Vatrano - Jost/Staal - Hoffman
Lammikko - Borgstrom - Puljujarvi
Acciari - Wallmark - Sceviour
Pysyk

Brodin - Ekblad
Stillman - Weegar
Matheson - Stralman

- A first round pick or a misc package for Anderson
- Lammikko replicating the route that Donskoi took in order to get into the Sharks roster, expectation around 35pts
- Trade Connolly + 3rd/4th round pick for Puljujarvi
- Can't believe I'm even suggesting this... offer an extension contract for Pysyk
- Something like 1st + Noel/Hepo + Koly for Brodin

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Still think slotting Borg for top 9 play is risky. Wallmark I guess could be a decent 3rd liner center if Borg poops the bed again though.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Still think slotting Borg for top 9 play is risky. Wallmark I guess could be a decent 3rd liner center if Borg poops the bed again though.

It's risky but Borg ain't gonna learn how to play in the NHL in Springfield. Besides, he wasn't a complete failure when he played for Boughner so we already know what they are at least gonna get out of him.

Reactions: Frisky Dingo

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
A wish list for the next season a lá Pronger:

Huberdeau - Barkov - Anderson
Vatrano - Jost/Staal - Hoffman
Lammikko - Borgstrom - Puljujarvi
Acciari - Wallmark - Sceviour
Pysyk

Brodin - Ekblad
Stillman - Weegar
Matheson - Stralman

- A first round pick or a misc package for Anderson
- Lammikko replicating the route that Donskoi took in order to get into the Sharks roster, expectation around 35pts
- Trade Connolly + 3rd/4th round pick for Puljujarvi
- Can't believe I'm even suggesting this... offer an extension contract for Pysyk
- Something like 1st + Noel/Hepo + Koly for Brodin

RIP Owen Tippett :sarcasm:

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Brodin + Kunin+ Beckman(LW/C tearing it up in the WHL).

was offered for Huberdeau.

Chance to get a top pairing man and Kunin is a cost controlled, good young player. Plus a good prospect.

Thoughts? Imo it's good value.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Brodin + Kunin+ Beckman(LW/C tearing it up in the WHL).

was offered for Huberdeau.

Chance to get a top pairing man and Kunin is a cost controlled, good young player. Plus a good prospect.

Thoughts? Imo it's good value.

Take it.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Yandle, Matheson, Bobrovsky, a second, and a third to anyone for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad