Speculation: Official Fantasy Trade Offers/Armchair GM Thread: 2018-20 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
What would one consider the value of either Bjugstad or Trocheck in a trade? Coyote fan asking b/c we could desperately need someone to play RW on 2nd line or better (supplanting Panik from there). I am assuming that Bjugstad would be the preferred target from Florida's end.

Thanks.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
What would one consider the value of either Bjugstad or Trocheck in a trade? Coyote fan asking b/c we could desperately need someone to play RW on 2nd line or better (supplanting Panik from there). I am assuming that Bjugstad would be the preferred target from Florida's end.

Thanks.

Bjugstad would probably fetch a 2nd round pick, maybe a late 1st to a contender with a mid pick going the other way. Or a young RW/RD prospect with some upside. Hard to gauge his value.

Don't even dare ask about Trocheck....

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Thanks.

Trocheck is far more valulable than Bjugstad atm. Acquiring Trocheck would be a massive overpay by any team. He's on a great contract. Trocheck would also be your C. He didn't play that well on the wing. Bjugstad on other hand was forced into the wing position, but throughout the course of the season, he improved dramatically. He is a good complimentary player.

Ideally, if we were to trade Bjugstad, it would be in a package for a top 4 defenseman. Who do you have in mind (don't say Demers)?

edit. I thought Demers did alright here, and actually got crapped on a bit too much.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Trocheck is far more valulable than Bjugstad atm. Acquiring Trocheck would be a massive overpay by any team. He's on a great contract. Trocheck would also be your C. He didn't play that well on the wing. Bjugstad on other hand was forced into the wing position, but throughout the course of the season, he improved dramatically. He is a good complimentary player.

Ideally, if we were to trade Bjugstad, it would be in a package for a top 4 defenseman. Who do you have in mind (don't say Demers)?

edit. I thought Demers did alright here, and actually got crapped on a bit too much.
That whole season was filled with posters taking shots at the Dmen. An actual system with BB has quelled almost 95% of those complaints.

God bless the Rowe-zone.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013

Thanks.

Tro is one of the best 2Cs in the league, and a low end 1C on his own. Bjugstad would be the likely candidate

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Yeah, Bjugstad would probably be the piece to go after.

The Coyotes are in an interesting position because the RW/RD depth has been a problem that is starting to be fixed, and trading that away may complicate things.

Plus, the Coyote forward lines have some pieces that need to be maneuvered around. While we all think Strome is still capable of good things, I am not certain if management is 100% on board with him at C, as they may try him at wing to start the season. Honestly, the best way to work around this would be to pick up Bjugstad or Trocheck as RW, while giving up a C or LW in return. So, this is what we'd probably have to work with in regards to players:

RW Richard Panik (has 1 year left at $2.8 M, but he also seemed to work well after picking him up, so not terribly keen on including him)
RW Nick Merkley (in the minors, put up 39 P in 38 G before knee injury)
C Dylan Strome (value has dropped, but not certain where he winds up at, position or points-wise)
RW Josh Archibald (RFA next season, but not certain if he helps Florida that much)
RD Dysin Mayo (does not have top 4 upside)
RD Jordan Gross (just signed him after last year, so hard to think that he would be shipped off so soon - has bottom 6 and maybe 3/4 pairing upside)
C Christian Dvorak (really do not want to trade him)

Trade ideas
Bjugstad for RW Panik, 2019 2nd round pick

Bjugstad for RW Merkley, 2019 2nd round pick, 2020 4th round pick

Bjugstad for C Dvorak (I would be highly opposed, but sometimes trades like this happen)

Trocheck for C Strome and RW Archibald (if Strome isn't considered a piece of value, then probably not what needs to come out of this)

None of these may be of any interest, but the first two trades listed would probably be the best options value-wise, but the Coyotes roster would still be a little unclear.

Thanks for the responses to my question.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Yeah, Bjugstad would probably be the piece to go after.

The Coyotes are in an interesting position because the RW/RD depth has been a problem that is starting to be fixed, and trading that away may complicate things.

Plus, the Coyote forward lines have some pieces that need to be maneuvered around. While we all think Strome is still capable of good things, I am not certain if management is 100% on board with him at C, as they may try him at wing to start the season. Honestly, the best way to work around this would be to pick up Bjugstad or Trocheck as RW, while giving up a C or LW in return. So, this is what we'd probably have to work with in regards to players:

RW Richard Panik (has 1 year left at $2.8 M, but he also seemed to work well after picking him up, so not terribly keen on including him)
RW Nick Merkley (in the minors, put up 39 P in 38 G before knee injury)
C Dylan Strome (value has dropped, but not certain where he winds up at, position or points-wise)
RW Josh Archibald (RFA next season, but not certain if he helps Florida that much)
RD Dysin Mayo (does not have top 4 upside)
RD Jordan Gross (just signed him after last year, so hard to think that he would be shipped off so soon - has bottom 6 and maybe 3/4 pairing upside)
C Christian Dvorak (really do not want to trade him)

Trade ideas
Bjugstad for RW Panik, 2019 2nd round pick

Bjugstad for RW Merkley, 2019 2nd round pick, 2020 4th round pick

Bjugstad for C Dvorak (I would be highly opposed, but sometimes trades like this happen)

Trocheck for C Strome and RW Archibald (if Strome isn't considered a piece of value, then probably not what needs to come out of this)

None of these may be of any interest, but the first two trades listed would probably be the best options value-wise, but the Coyotes roster would still be a little unclear.

Thanks for the responses to my question.

Trocheck proposal is way off.

You'd be looking at Keller+.

Also, did we trade Vatrano to the Coyotes? He's listed under their roster at nhlnumbers.com

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Not seeing anything on twitter about Vatrano, so likely a mistake.

Strome is still such a wild card. He is still likely to be a 0.5 PPG player, at the very least. He just hasn't done so yet, so hard to make a comparison between what value he and Trocheck could have.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Not seeing anything on twitter about Vatrano, so likely a mistake.

Strome is still such a wild card. He is still likely to be a 0.5 PPG player, at the very least. He just hasn't done so yet, so hard to make a comparison between what value he and Trocheck could have.

Strome and Archibald for one of the best 2C's in the game?!?!
If Strome doesn't have a 40+pt season in the NHL this year then he's starting to flirt with bust category.

Only one that makes sense is Bjugstad for Merkley + 2nd + 4th.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Strome and Archibald for one of the best 2C's in the game?!?!
If Strome doesn't have a 40+pt season in the NHL this year then he's starting to flirt with bust category.

Only one that makes sense is Bjugstad for Merkley + 2nd + 4th.

I agree. But it comes with the caveat that we haven't seen Strome at his fullest, either

Again, if Strome lives up to his pick status at #3 OA, that is actually a decent trade-off for both teams. The problem is waiting for him to round into his body to get there and improved skating, which was his primary flaw. Ryan Johansen followed almost the same path by finally getting his first full year in the NHL in his draft +3 year - I am certain that if Strome were to be a second coming of Ryan Johansen in that regard, that type of trade would actually be very close.

That's also why that would be the hardest trade to make for both ends. The Coyotes would be giving up on a player who is likely to become a 0.60-1.00 PPG type of player in the league but has only shown that output in a 10 game sample at the end of last season (8 points in 10 games to close out the year). The team taking Strome on would have to think that the 10 game sample at the end of last year was indicative of his play going forward, but also acknowledges that he could not be as good as his draft status. Risky for either side, but if Strome makes the jump appropriately this year, he is basically a very good #2 C with an outside chance of being a top line C. Which is exactly what Trocheck is, correct?

There are just a lot of IFs for Strome at this point, but I'd be more inclined to think that he is closer to a very good #2 C than a complete bust. Unfortunately, for the caliber of players involved, Strome is one of the better options to get a deal going, if only he had a little more success at the NHL level to make that assertion more justifiable.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I agree. But it comes with the caveat that we haven't seen Strome at his fullest, either

Again, if Strome lives up to his pick status at #3 OA, that is actually a decent trade-off for both teams. The problem is waiting for him to round into his body to get there and improved skating, which was his primary flaw. Ryan Johansen followed almost the same path by finally getting his first full year in the NHL in his draft +3 year - I am certain that if Strome were to be a second coming of Ryan Johansen in that regard, that type of trade would actually be very close.

That's also why that would be the hardest trade to make for both ends. The Coyotes would be giving up on a player who is likely to become a 0.60-1.00 PPG type of player in the league but has only shown that output in a 10 game sample at the end of last season (8 points in 10 games to close out the year). The team taking Strome on would have to think that the 10 game sample at the end of last year was indicative of his play going forward, but also acknowledges that he could not be as good as his draft status. Risky for either side, but if Strome makes the jump appropriately this year, he is basically a very good #2 C with an outside chance of being a top line C. Which is exactly what Trocheck is, correct?

There are just a lot of IFs for Strome at this point, but I'd be more inclined to think that he is closer to a very good #2 C than a complete bust. Unfortunately, for the caliber of players involved, Strome is one of the better options to get a deal going, if only he had a little more success at the NHL level to make that assertion more justifiable.

Getting a lot of family guy mystery box vibe in this post!

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
^^^

Regardless, if Trocheck would be less useful at RW, then it probably doesn't make much sense.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
^^^

Regardless, if Trocheck would be less useful at RW, then it probably doesn't make much sense.

Yeah, he really is a centre, and his time at right wing wasn't successful. He's probably talented enough to make it happen over time, but really, I can't see a logically trade between the two teams.

Bjugstad makes far more sense.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
This is exactly what this AZ fan is trying to pass off on us. Give us your boat for a mystery box. Best case scenario it's another boat.

You might also get a better boat in the best case scenario as well. It is interesting b/c here are Trocheck's junior stats, plus his first few years between AHL and NHL:

2010-11 (draft year): 68 games, 62 points
2011-12 (Saginaw): 65 games, 82 points
2012-13 (Saginaw and Plymouth): 63 games, 109 points
2013-14 (SA - AHL): 55 games, 42 points
2013-14 (FLA - NHL): 20 games, 8 points
2014-15 (SA - AHL): 23 games, 19 points
2014-15 (FLA - NHL): 50 games, 22 points

And here are Strome's:

2014-15 (draft year): 68 games, 129 points
2015-16 (Erie): 56 games, 111 points
2016-17 (Erie): 35 games, 75 points
2016-17 (AZ - NHL): 7 games, 1 point
2017-18 (TUC - AHL): 50 games, 53 points
2017-18 (AZ - NHL): 21 games, 9 points

If you were to take the names away and look at early production, it's not far off.

But I get it - Strome hasn't been in the NHL enough to make a definitive statement as to his value relative to a player like Trocheck. Bjugstad would be the more likely target, but not for Strome.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
You might also get a better boat in the best case scenario as well. It is interesting b/c here are Trocheck's junior stats, plus his first few years between AHL and NHL:

And here are Strome's:

If you were to take the names away and look at early production, it's not far off.

But I get it - Strome hasn't been in the NHL enough to make a definitive statement as to his value relative to a player like Trocheck. Bjugstad would be the more likely target, but not for Strome.

If you feel somewhat confident in the value, post it on the main board trade thread and see the reactions there.

Strome + Archibald for Trocheck

Strome may be this or that but we know what we have in Trocheck right now and there aren't many complaints other than his tunnel vision and this past down year on defensive side of things.

Reactions: I am not exposed

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
strome should turn into a fine player but we're not trading a known (and much more developed) commodity on a very very good contract with 4yrs left for something relatively unknown. its just not feasible.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015

And here are Strome's:

Strome won’t be as good as Trocheck.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Florida can't take the risk of downgrading at #2 center. We have Tro on a steal of a deal and he puts up a lot of points. Strome could pan out or not, however, we know what we have in Trocheck.

One thing if Borgstrom was legit pushing Trocheck for the #2 spot and McCann solidified himself as a #3. Besides, I would trade Trocheck, if those conditions were true for a defenseman.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Habs fan here, I think you have a very strong line-up up front with the add of Hoffman and Borgstrom but I think your D might need another top 4 defenseman, would you be willing to trade your first pick for Jeff Petry? Habs are in a rebuild process and I think your team can really rock this year with an improved blueline... Petry is a very nice second pairing defenseman who can play alot of minutes and face strong opposition, can be an interesting option for the 2nd PP unit... what do you guys think about that?

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Habs fan here, I think you have a very strong line-up up front with the add of Hoffman and Borgstrom but I think your D might need another top 4 defenseman, would you be willing to trade your first pick for Jeff Petry? Habs are in a rebuild process and I think your team can really rock this year with an improved blueline... Petry is a very nice second pairing defenseman who can play alot of minutes and face strong opposition, can be an interesting option for the 2nd PP unit... what do you guys think about that?
there's no space for his 5.5 mil and there's no point in taking yet another 2nd pairing D man when all we have are bottom 4 D men. we need a 1D. badly. seriously can't believe we let tampa get mcdonaugh when they barely need him and we desperately do.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
there's no space for his 5.5 mil and there's no point in taking yet another 2nd pairing D man when all we have are bottom 4 D men. we need a 1D. badly. seriously can't believe we let tampa get mcdonaugh when they barely need him and we desperately do.
McDonagh wasn't what we needed or wanted. Way too often did Hank get blamed for his short comings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad