Official End of Season Positivity Thread

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Since there is a venting thread...

Figured why not go for the positive as well! (Maybe this isn't the place for it though... feel free to get rid of).

But for me this season was a huge success. We have a GM and coach who seem to work together. We had so much heart warming stories with Andy, MacArthur. We've gone father than anyone would have predicted. And honestly I think the biggest plus of all is how this season solidifies Karlsson staying long term.

Also instead of backing down after a gut wrenching goal against and some questionable reffing, they fought back to tie it up like great teams do. This is such a great quality!

Go Sens Go! I couldn't be more proud! Now rest up for hopefully another long season!

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
Unbelievable run from the team. All the comeback victories, all the beautiful goals, all the sacrifice. Even tonight, I thought they were toast after each of the Pens two goals and they responded so quickly. Not to mention Karlsson just had the best individual playoff performance of any Sen in modern history.

Don't forget, everybody criticized the Sens for their run and gun offensive style, saying we could never get anywhere because a Karlsson-led team could never play proper defence. Turns out not only can EK lead a lockdown system, but he can still put up a PPG doing it on a bum foot.

It was a disappointing way to lose, and the team still has to get over its Game 7 curse. But Nobody expected us to get this far, so I'm not going to start panicking about when we'll get there again. We'll lose a couple players to the expansion draft, which is a drag, but we have some good players coming in in Chabot, White, Brown, etc. Classon and Harpur have both been revelations, as well.

This was, in my opinion, the Sens second most successful season in their modern history. Winning tonight would have vaulted it into first, but I'm still really proud. All you fans who only care about championships should go cheer for the Golden State Warriors instead.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
+ 1 here Not ashamed to say I am proud of the what this team was able to do... I had a great time following their playoff run... They surprised me more than once with their ability to get up off the floor and fight back.

A healthy EK this round .. I think we'd be on to the SCF...

Still we pushed the 2016 SC Champs to the brink and then some.... Hard not to be proud.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Just got home from work. Ended up staying there late to listen to the end of the game.

Honestly, I don't even feel upset at all. We just took the defending Stanley Cup champions to seven games, came back twice in that seventh game and pushed it all the way to double overtime. We took the very best of the Metropolitan division and came incredibly close to beating them.

Management made the point at the trade deadline to load up on veteran depth in hopes that the team could make a push, and we did exactly that. I feel very confident that they'll make even greater moves next year to help push this team further. I feel so much more confident with Dorion and Boucher at the helm than I did with Murray and his revolving door of coaches. Boucher not only got this team to buy into a system, but also brought about results that validate that system.

Also, we have a full year of Colin White to look forward to, as well as Thomas Chabot on the verge of breaking in to the league. We all knew this team had holes, and now we can set about fixing them.

So kudos to the 2017 Ottawa Senators. The run is over, but I sincerely think that this is just as much a beginning as it is an ending.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
Super proud of this team. This was a great run and they showed great character. After the 7-0 smashing I was worried but they kept coming back. Even tonight, down a goal two times they came back.

Make some changes in the summer and come back even better.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Fingers crossed Chabot is Karlsson 2.0.

He might not be EK 2.0, but I have a strong feeling he'll be EK-light, which is more than I could ever hope for considering we already have the best defenseman in the NHL. With a little help from management, we could have the best D-squad around.

LynxBud

Nov 27, 2013
Gloucester
Sens did better than expected. Some players really stepped up.

The positive to it all being over, for me, is I should have an easier time quitting smoking now.. this run was making it impossible for me.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I've liked karlsson showing he's a leader. Ryan looks more than useful again. Hopefully he can follow that up with a much better regular season next year.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
One more thing...

Props to most of the Sens fans on this board by being gracious losers. Still see pens fans *****ing about reffing and that this game was "called right". Ha! **** off!

So huge high fives all around to all the classy Sens fans showing what you do when the cards and calls are stacked against you. You score a ****ing goal instead of whine!

So way to be!

DylanB

May 26, 2017
The way Anderson has played this year. Especially with having to deal with something that's way bigger than hockey!

I think he's proven he's a elite goalie in this league and will continue to perform at a high level for atleast 4 more years.

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
Really proud of this team. I never imagined that they'd make it this far. A few thoughts on some individual performances:

-Game 5 aside, Andy was terrific in this series. Gave us a chance to win every game. Best goalie in franchise history IMO
-Ryan played his best hockey as a Sen. Showed that he sure as hell does know how to spell "intensity"
-Claesson really broke out and showed that he belongs in the NHL (please don't take him, Vegas)
-Pageau's performance in game 2 of the Rangers series is one I will never forget. Best game I've ever seen live
-Mac did not look like a player who missed almost two full years of hockey. So happy to have him back
-Boucher was a great hire. His system is one of the main reasons we made it this far
-As for Karlsson....I don't know what to say. I feel so privileged to watch him every year. He's a true warrior and the perfect captain for our team.

I know this year could be an anomaly, but I honestly feel confident that we could be back here within the next few years. We have a good core group of players and a pretty impressive prospect pool with guys like Chabot, White, Brown, Chlapik, Perron, Hogberg, Jaros, Englund, Harpur, etc. coming down the pipeline.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
We pushed the team with the best 2 forwards in the league to game 7 2OT... We gave them a far tougher run than the Caps did. They truly put it all out there.

Good things to look forward to:

* Our coach is ****ing phenomenal. I've watched every single of this press conferences all season long. He's ****ing smart with his X's and O's. He's a people person, he always says the right things, and has good insight for what makes players tick. and finally, he's truly passionate, hearing his presser tonight was gutting, I've never heard a coach like that.

* Our D core is going to be the best one in the league over the next couple years. Karlsson is far and away the best defenseman in the world, and a top 3 player in the world, I don't have to say anything more. Ceci, as much as some of you hate him, I truly believe he'll be a solid solid 2nd pairing guy. He played some of the hardest minutes all season, top 5 PK minutes, 2nd most ice time on the team, and he did it as the youngest player on the team (!!!). For a coach who likes to rely on veterans to rely on the youngest player on the team all season long to play these hard minutes is telling... He has progressed tremendously since last year. Chabot. I'm sure you've all heard it. He's arguably the player hockey player not in the NHL right now. The only defenseman to win the world juniors MVP award ever! We have a couple young players who have stepped up and shown flashes of brilliance in Claesson and Harpur. Seriously. This core plus Guy Boucher structure... We're going to be phenomenal. The Kanata wall will be bigger and stronger.

* Our core players are still very young. Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman, Turris, Ceci, Pageau are all 27 or younger. This is a huge huge learning experience for them. The amount of clutch and resilience and been amazing.

* Our GM has proven to be proactive and is not afraid to get **** done, hfsens and "Asset Management" be damned. He has a fantastic relationship with the coach. We're truly a team in unison from GM to the players. And players want to play for us Smith took a pretty nice hometown discount to stay with the team. I expect Pageau to get a very fair deal for both sides.

For those reasons, I truly believe this is not the end, but this is just beginning of our "window" opening. This wasn't a fluke. We're going to be back here over the next couple years.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Rayn was huge, if he can carry that over next year we'd be in a decent spot. Get a C upgrade, scoring winger and 2nd pair D and we're serious contenders from seasons start. Tough task, but we know we lack the skill now.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
A lot of good thoughts, much prefer this than the negativity thread right after this team played their hearts out.

Just to highlight a few positives from this game/ the year:

Karlsson is everything you could want in a player and then some. His skill has always been evident, and this playoff run really highlighted two other things for me- he's an unbelievable leader, and an absolute warrior.

I know he didn't have a great playoffs, but Mark Stone played his heart out tonight. 30+ minutes, always hard on the puck carrier, working hard down low, taking the punishment, and on and on. I also thought Turris played very well and was asked to do a ton with Brassard not his normal self.

Methot deserves a lot of respect, too. I'll say this- you can't lose this guy in the expansion draft.

Andy came up huge these last two games, what an emotional season for him that we all should be proud of.

Boucher brought in a strong system but he also brought this team together and formed an identity. They played for each other, played their hearts out and the coach deserves some credit in this.

These types of runs are what being a fan is all about. I'm devastated but proud.

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Oilers fan here. Congrats on a great series and incredible playoff run :handclap:

I know alot of fans don't cheer for other teams in the playoffs just because they are Canadian based as well... but I'm one of those fans that do, and was cheering hard for the Sens to advance and set up the feel good Preds/Sens SCF

just wasn't in the cards :(

Be proud of your boys. Taking the Champs to game 7 double OT of the Conf finals is an amazing achievement :yo:

Congrats on the great season, and best of luck in 2017-18!

tumblr_mo4nikzWGc1s795tco1_500.gif

Golden

Haven't we suffered enough?
May 3, 2007
It's really special the way the guys talk about each other and what a special group it is. I'm sad for them that they couldn't have gotten to the SCF together.

What a season. So many incredible moments. Anderson with the shutout in his first game back. MacArthur stepping on the ice for the first time when they said he wouldn't even play this season - when we didn't know if he'd ever play again. Pageau's four goal game. Ryan stepping it up in the playoffs showing that he can actually spell intensity. And Karlsson proving to the world that he is one of the best players in the game. This group may not been have as talented as some of the Sens teams before them but they were one of the most inspiring.

Thank you, Sens! I've never felt prouder as a fan.

h2owned

Nov 17, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Good news everyone is back and only one spot open,4th line wing, plus whoever LV takes. Pyatt/Stalberg/Wingels can take that spot or maybe internally or through FA.
Only Pageau, Dzingel and Condon to sign.
68-7-61
16-19-9
15-44-14
18-82-xx

3-65
2-5
33-6
Chabot

Condon?
Hammond.

Top 4 team this year, most pieces coming back. We can go on a run like this next year!

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Your team defense was exceptional. It didn't matter how much pressure we applied, because it seemed like every shot we got came from at least 30 feet away.

And when we did get close, Anderson was tremendous. Can't say enough about him. Even with the loss tonight, he and Rinne were the two best netminders thus far.

With Chabot on the way, your organization has a lot to look forward to.

Congrats on a great run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad