Official Darryl Sutter for Blues coach bandwagon thread

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I don't think it really matters to me if the NHL grows or not. Sure, the league could be more profitable, attract more viewers/fans, more talent base and end up growing into more teams. But its going to be the best league in the world either way. My own personal enjoyment won't improve if the game were still a niche sport (in parts of the USA). Maybe tickets would be more affordable for me in that case. I understand people having a desire for the league to enjoy success and growth. I just don't see that as being necessary for what I derive from it.

Reactions: FMichael

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I'm waiting for someone to chime in on how great Army is. Yeo's contract makes him difficult to deal with and hiring coaching isn't going to fix his outdated style. Don't get me wrong, Army's made some great acquisitions, but they mean absolutely nothing if you don't fix all the problems. Even with four lines of quality Centers, the team just seems to be getting worse, not better.

Last edited:

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I'm waiting for someone to chime in on how great Army is. Yeo's contract makes him difficult to deal with and hiring coaching isn't going to fix his outdated style. Don't get me wrong, Army's made some great acquisitions, but they mean absolutely nothing if you don't fix all the problems. Even with four lines of quality Centers, the team just seems to be getting worse, not better.
What’s wrong with Yeo’s contract?

Bluesgoal

Oct 18, 2018
I don't think it really matters to me if the NHL grows or not. Sure, the league could be more profitable, attract more viewers/fans, more talent base and end up growing into more teams. But its going to be the best league in the world either way. My own personal enjoyment won't improve if the game were still a niche sport (in parts of the USA). Maybe tickets would be more affordable for me in that case. I understand people having a desire for the league to enjoy success and growth. I just don't see that as being necessary for what I derive from it.

If there was less teams it would be easier for the Blues to make the playoffs and win the cup. If there were only 28 teams, the Blues would have probably made the playoffs last year. 98-98 the Blues finish 5th with 87 points and safely made the playoffs. last year they finished with more wins and 94 points and miss the playoffs by a point. 97-98 the Blues finished with 98 points, 4th in the conference and were considered one of the premier teams to go deep in the playoffs. Last years team missed the playoffs with 94 points.

If the NHL wants 32 teams they need to expand the playoffs and make a wild card round to add more teams. There was talk about that a few years ago.

When MLB expanded in 1993 they added the wild card teams in order to get more teams into the playoffs and again a few years ago.

Yea, the Blues were horrible at times to watch last year, BUT as an entire season overall they were a decent team. They won more games than the 97 cup champs the Detroit Redwings. 12 games above .500 not including the OT loses. In the mid 90s they'd been considered a great team.

So much competition now with soon to be 32 teams. I soooo wish there wasn't a salary cap and the Laurie family was owning the team and they'd spend 120 million right now. Would be the best chance to win it all with 32 teams. Especially how Wal-Mart has taken off since then. They could spend 150 million and be like the Yankees. Without a cap they could sign Price, Weber, Tavares etc,

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Army has kept this team competitive the whole time he's been here. That's tough to do in a salary cap league. I'll defend DA all day long in that regard. He also probably made the biggest splash of the offseason with the team acquisitions. The team isn't getting worse. They've been making improvement. Not the improvement you or I would like, but we are playing much better now. The offseason is used to fix problems from the previous season. No one could have predicted the problems we are currently having.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Army has kept this team competitive the whole time he's been here. That's tough to do in a salary cap league. I'll defend DA all day long in that regard. He also probably made the biggest splash of the offseason with the team acquisitions. The team isn't getting worse. They've been making improvement. Not the improvement you or I would like, but we are playing much better now. The offseason is used to fix problems from the previous season. No one could have predicted the problems we are currently having.

I agree with you all the way up to the last bit. Coaching is a disaster and we saw that coming. Army fixed our Center problem while letting another get away from him and that I hold him totally responsible for. You can acquire the best players available, but without quality coaching, well... you get what we have now.

It is on that point and really that point alone that I have an issue with Army. People act like it's amazing that he accomplished so much, but that's his JOB ~ to acquire the players and coaching we need and the last time I looked, coaching is not affected by the cap.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It exists.

And it is for three more seasons after this one. (I think)
His initial contract was reported as 4 years (1 as assistant, 3 head) so unless he signed extension only 1 year left after this one. So shouldn't be too hard to absorb if he is canned.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
It is on that point and really that point alone that I have an issue with Army. People act like it's amazing that he accomplished so much, but that's his JOB ~ to acquire the players and coaching we need and the last time I looked, coaching is not affected by the cap.
The bolded is by far the most obtuse thing I've read on this board in a long time.

Saint Loser

"(they) are unavoidably unsafe" - SCOTUS
Mar 16, 2018
His initial contract was reported as 4 years (1 as assistant, 3 head) so unless he signed extension only 1 year left after this one. So shouldn't be too hard to absorb if he is canned.
Thank you for the clarification.

This is a good situation.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Screenshot of Army's phone.

IMG-2300.jpg

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Dave Tippett is looking like a strong contender for the job right about now.

This defense needs to be cleaned up and Army hired him in Dallas. I doubt his Seattle consulting job keeps him from being behind the STL bench.

Not sure about Sutter. He's also in the mix if he is willing to come out of retirement.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Sutter is the best guy but I doubt he leaves his grandkids for St. Louis.

Sutter would ream this team a new one after that game.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
My all-time favourite Blue. :).. At around 5.10 he talks about coaching. I have heard he has had some health issues lately, so he may not be well enough to coach, even if he was interested. (Which I doubt). I like his idea of coaching as mentoring. Kings fans say his brother Darryl was good at this too. It isn't necessarily about defensive or offensive systems. It is more about adjusting the system to your players, not vice versa.
I know it is poor forum etiquette to quote oneself, but I posted this in another thread, and I think it is relevant to this discussion. Brian Sutter talks about finding the good in players, and developing that. He basically talks about mentoring, which I think is exactly what the team needs right now. He may have started as a defensive first coach, who preached "up and down, bump and grind", but he managed in that time to nurture a young Brett Hull, and helped to transform him into a 70+ goal scorer. Hull didn't score all those goals despite Sutter, and the way Sutter speaks glowingly of Hull in the interview supports this. Brian's brother Darryl, according to Kings fans that I have conversed with, employed a similar style. It is not about a defensive or offensive scheme, but rather assessing the strengths in individual players and finding a way to amplify that. I also think that such an emphasis necessitates that the coach creates a system that fits the players, not vice versa! This last part is crucial, as it demands a coach that can adapt. I honestly think that a coach like Brian or Darryl Sutter are mischaracterized as "defensive" coaches, or "Hitch clones" Nor do I think that they reverted to screaming, or "butt kicking" as their primary means of motivation. In any case, I think it is a pipe dream, as both are firmly entrenched in their retirement. I just wanted to challenge these misconceptions about the Sutters.

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Guys showed up for Yeo tonight. I've really questioned whether he still had the room, but tonight at least they fought for his job. If they keep this up, big IF... Ok, I'm not ready to endorse Yeo. Let's see how the rest of the homestand goes.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
John Steven’s fired in LA replaced with Desjardins. So Yeo has got to be the next coach to fall unless some other team surprises us.

Reactions: warrior67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->