Official Coyotes 2019-20 Roster Discussion Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
upload_2020-3-9_22-16-45.png

This is the image for me at the end of #4. Seems fitting.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’d trade OEL for the best single draft pick and/or prospect or combo I could get at this point.

Honestly, if there was a button I could press and just delete the contracts of Kessel+ Stepan+ Grabner+ OEL+ Goligoski+ Demers+ Oesterle - I would do it. If I could get rid of all seven of them, without so much as a draft pick or minor leaguer back, I’d do it in a second.

Which tells me that Chayka needs to be fired.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I've no doubt that the staff will be replaced. Meruelo has seen enough.

Tocchets interviews are infuriating. He's got no f***in' clue and keeps rambling on about accountability.

His pressers are so infuriating after the game I have stopped watching. Like his defensive zone breakout, it's the same thing over and over again. Time to rid ourselves of this asshat!

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I’d trade OEL for the best single draft pick and/or prospect or combo I could get at this point.

Honestly, if there was a button I could press and just delete the contracts of Kessel+ Stepan+ Grabner+ OEL+ Goligoski+ Demers+ Oesterle - I would do it. If I could get rid of all seven of them, without so much as a draft pick or minor leaguer back, I’d do it in a second.

Which tells me that Chayka needs to be fired.

Are we any closer to that Stepan for Yandle trade? Or do we need to massage it more.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

rt

May 13, 2004
Are we any closer to that Stepan for Yandle trade? Or do we need to massage it more.
I’d do that deal. Helps me to not have to worry about getting a roster D back for OEL in another trade. Stepan for Yandle and OEL for RyJo would suit me fine.

I honestly don’t know what the problem is here. I just need the entire over 25 crowd, changed over to new faces. I don’t care for who, as long as the value is close to fair.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think the roster is worse than the coaching (and the coaching isn't good)...
I think our roster mix is a bit off. We need size and toughness. You can only have so many figure skaters on a team. Coaching is terrible, has been for the last year.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think our roster mix is a bit off. We need size and toughness. You can only have so many figure skaters on a team. Coaching is terrible, has been for the last year.
Do you think our core, the guys signed long term to decent sized contracts, are good enough to beat the other team's cores? I just don't see it. When you get paid decent dollars and long term deals you should be the one driving the bus not hoping to benefit from others.

Reactions: RemoAZ

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Aaron Ness is back on waivers today.

Chychrun is reportedly possible for Vancouver, but I wonder if they're going to give Capobianco one last chance.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Do you think our core, the guys signed long term to decent sized contracts, are good enough to beat the other team's cores? I just don't see it. When you get paid decent dollars and long term deals you should be the one driving the bus not hoping to benefit from others.
Our core is not elite. We have not had fist overall picks like many teams have had, and it doesn't help when your GM thinks your core is so great he trades away first rounders. Driving the bus type forward are getting 10 mill. plus a year, or around there. Of course there are exceptions but we don't have that one player who can put the team on their back as say let's go. TO has three forwards driving their bus and look at them. Mix of players and chemistry has a lot to do with it also. It's hard to win in the NHL as there is so much parity it's crazy so good coaching becomes even more important and that is something I think the Coyotes are lacking.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Our core is not elite. We have not had fist overall picks like many teams have had, and it doesn't help when your GM thinks your core is so great he trades away first rounders. Driving the bus type forward are getting 10 mill. plus a year, or around there. Of course there are exceptions but we don't have that one player who can put the team on their back as say let's go. TO has three forwards driving their bus and look at them. Mix of players and chemistry has a lot to do with it also. It's hard to win in the NHL as there is so much parity it's crazy so good coaching becomes even more important and that is something I think the Coyotes are lacking.
It's not about Toronto , stick to the Coyotes. This core isn't good. Chayka went early and so far that has not proven fruitful. Had he waited woukd anyone suggest roughly $6 million for Schmaltz and $7 million for Keller? There is little value in either of those and combining them with OEL only looks worse.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's not about Toronto , stick to the Coyotes. This core isn't good. Chayka went early and so far that has not proven fruitful. Had he waited woukd anyone suggest roughly $6 million for Schmaltz and $7 million for Keller? There is little value in either of those and combining them with OEL only looks worse.
I'm trying to explain that asking a 7 mill. dollar player to drive the bus, as you say, is hard when other teams are paying their top players 10 or 11 mill. These players get paid more for a reason. TO has three 11 mill. dollar players and they have only a few points more than the Yotes. You come on here and criticize the Yotes core players, yet when someone criticizes your favorite team you get your panties in a knot.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'm trying to explain that asking a 7 mill. dollar player to drive the bus, as you say, is hard when other teams are paying their top players 10 or 11 mill. These players get paid more for a reason. TO has three 11 mill. dollar players and they have only a few points more than the Yotes. You come on here and criticize the Yotes core players, yet when someone criticizes your favorite team you get your panties in a knot.
A few more points?? Matthew's has more goals than the highest point Coyote. I remember the mud slinging here when Nylander got $7 million, he would be the best player on the Coyotes, heck he might be the best Leaf this year. I'm trying not to discuss the Leafs here, not worry about my panties. Pointing at any other team changes absolutely nothing. The Coyotes have a very average core but they are now signed long term.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Wanting to sell players who's values are at an all time low and wanting a coaching change at the same time seems like a giant mistake.. If you want a new coach its to adjust the system so your players will have a better chance to succeed.
First change your coach and if he's any good i'd very be surprised if none of these players turn it around. If players still don't turn it around but the team is then they're a problem and need to be moved. You want to be the team buying low on star players in a bad situation, not selling low on your players while they are in a bad situation (ex. Fiala early this season when he was being benched and scratched, i wanted him bad).

Also, I don't like that Tocchet is the coach still and i'd love to give one of the big name coaches a job here but i think people need to be prepared for a lesser known coach if it happens at all. There's no guarantees that this teams money problems have been solved completely, especially if this season goes south. I assume Meruelo was really wanting money from the playoffs. So i wouldn't be surprised if they'd hire one of the better coaches from the AHL.

These are more subjective obviously, just my opinions and positions i stand by.. so feel free to skip if you're even still reading and don't care.

I still think OEL should have been traded 4 years ago. When he had 2 years left on his last contract at 5.5 mill, he had insane value coming off back-to-back 20+ goal seasons (this was the same time Trouba became available for the first time and was a RFA looking to sign around 5.5mill long term and Winnipeg was desperate for a LHD... Trouba+ Connor at the time was at the very least CLOSE in value and a proposal i suggested). I like OEL, but like i said 4 years ago.. anyone that watches him consistently would know he's not a PP QB and if i'm paying a D 8+ mill he better know how to run an offense. I feel like you should count on him to get 40+ assists at that price, but id settle with 35 because he's only played for Tippett and Tocchet... which he still has never done (i believe he's been on pace for it once).

The captaincy shouldn't have been given to anyone for another year at least when OEL got it due to the team still being in the middle of a rebuild and having to follow up one of the best captains in NHL history, having someone with a C on their jersey is one of the least important things to worry about. I personally wanted to wait 1-2 more years and give it to Chychrun who is a phenomenal leader and would have been a great long term follow up to Doan (if injuries prevented this find an alternative).

rt

May 13, 2004
Wanting to sell players who's values are at an all time low and wanting a coaching change at the same time seems like a giant mistake.. If you want a new coach its to adjust the system so your players will have a better chance to succeed.
First change your coach and if he's any good i'd very be surprised if none of these players turn it around. If players still don't turn it around but the team is then they're a problem and need to be moved. You want to be the team buying low on star players in a bad situation, not selling low on your players while they are in a bad situation (ex. Fiala early this season when he was being benched and scratched, i wanted him bad).

Also, I don't like that Tocchet is the coach still and i'd love to give one of the big name coaches a job here but i think people need to be prepared for a lesser known coach if it happens at all. There's no guarantees that this teams money problems have been solved completely, especially if this season goes south. I assume Meruelo was really wanting money from the playoffs. So i wouldn't be surprised if they'd hire one of the better coaches from the AHL.

These are more subjective obviously, just my opinions and positions i stand by.. so feel free to skip if you're even still reading and don't care.

I still think OEL should have been traded 4 years ago. When he had 2 years left on his last contract at 5.5 mill, he had insane value coming off back-to-back 20+ goal seasons (this was the same time Trouba became available for the first time and was a RFA looking to sign around 5.5mill long term and Winnipeg was desperate for a LHD... Trouba+ Connor at the time was at the very least CLOSE in value and a proposal i suggested). I like OEL, but like i said 4 years ago.. anyone that watches him consistently would know he's not a PP QB and if i'm paying a D 8+ mill he better know how to run an offense. I feel like you should count on him to get 40+ assists at that price, but id settle with 35 because he's only played for Tippett and Tocchet... which he still has never done (i believe he's been on pace for it once).

The captaincy shouldn't have been given to anyone for another year at least when OEL got it due to the team still being in the middle of a rebuild and having to follow up one of the best captains in NHL history, having someone with a C on their jersey is one of the least important things to worry about. I personally wanted to wait 1-2 more years and give it to Chychrun who is a phenomenal leader and would have been a great long term follow up to Doan (if injuries prevented this find an alternative).
Once the team is eliminated from playoff contention, they need to clear out the coaching staff. They need to immediately start applying pressure to Kessel. Let him know he's not in the plans, the next coach will be someone unafraid of scratching him and ruining his ironman streak, and they'll be willing to start calling him out publicly. Attempt to quietly shuffle him to some other warm climate with plenty of golf and Indian gaming. Florida seems like a good fit. They want to be rid of Yandle by the sounds of their fan base. A 1 for 1 swap makes some sense.

Then they need to set their sites on finding new homes for Stepan and Goligoski. OEL, too, if there's a great fit somewhere as far as the return is concerned, but that's not likely. Same with Hjalmarsson; if somebody blows the doors off with an overpay offer, take it and run. Otherwise, might as well hang onto him. Demers is cheap enough that I don't care what happens with him.

Removing Tocchet, MacLean, Housley, Kessel, Stepan and Goligoski feels like enough anyway. That should be enough to cut out a huge part of this cancerous nonchalance. Replace all of them with ultra-competitive, fiery, demonstrative guys. If that's not enough by next Holiday break, then OEL, Hjalmarsson, Schmaltz, and Keller can be next. But I'd be willing to see them with a different group of leaders first before pulling the plug. Also, if it comes to that, it better be some GM other than Chayka who moves those guys. If we reach that point, he's got to go.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
No one would be wrong to criticize our core right now, they can't win important regular season games, how can we expect them to win in the playoffs?

Reactions: RemoAZ

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
His pressers are so infuriating after the game I have stopped watching. Like his defensive zone breakout, it's the same thing over and over again. Time to rid ourselves of this asshat!
Defensive zone breakouts are one of the most frustrating parts of the team. They used to be decent at it, maybe a season or two ago, and now having some much better offensive zone entry gainers, this shouldn't be an issue, but alas, it is. As I can only watch the games on TV, I have no clue what the forwards are doing to alleviate pressure on the D being forechecked, but evidently that part of the system is not working.

Reactions: Jakey53

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Doesn’t look like rally the valley is a thing anymore. It usually shows more than a few times on fsaz during any broadcast. Haven’t seen one at all today.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Once the team is eliminated from playoff contention, they need to clear out the coaching staff. They need to immediately start applying pressure to Kessel. Let him know he's not in the plans, the next coach will be someone unafraid of scratching him and ruining his ironman streak, and they'll be willing to start calling him out publicly. Attempt to quietly shuffle him to some other warm climate with plenty of golf and Indian gaming. Florida seems like a good fit. They want to be rid of Yandle by the sounds of their fan base. A 1 for 1 swap makes some sense.

Can you imagine Phil in South Florida? All hell would break loose. :laugh:

What's wrong with him anyway? He wanted to come to Arizona so it seems weird it hasn't worked out. Have the wheels just come off?

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Can you imagine Phil in South Florida? All hell would break loose. :laugh:

What's wrong with him anyway? He wanted to come to Arizona so it seems weird it hasn't worked out. Have the wheels just come off?

Phil needs to play with players who not only have high skill level and hockey IQ, but also have incredible work ethic and do most of the work in the corners for him. We don’t have a single one of those players. Well maybe one, and he’s 5’10” 165 lbs so....

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Phil needs to play with players who not only have high skill level and hockey IQ, but also have incredible work ethic and do most of the work in the corners for him. We don’t have a single one of those players. Well maybe one, and he’s 5’10” 165 lbs so....
Phil has spent most of his career with Tyler Bozak and Nick Bonino as his centers. I think Tocchet being a Kessel whisperer was overblown and in general our offensive scheme sucks. He is also older and likely too comfortable in AZ.

I think Tocchet is a great a being a good cop for Phil, but there is no bad cop on the team pushing him.

Reactions: Kellyr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad