Official Calder Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2018
Quinn is facilitating offence absolutely everywhere on the ice and the points are starting to follow. He will be the best transition defender in the league. The anticipation of a drop pass off the PP has now been eliminated and the dynamic is off the charts. His change of pace and opening of lanes allows his shot to get to the net and the actual lack of power allows the forwards to get sticks on pucks a majority of the time.

something special

Reactions: Szechwan

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
After seeing majormajor's post I need to watch Makar ASAP. Saw him in the playoffs but not since. Sounds like he's more than picked up where he left off.

Quinn Hughes with 3 more points tonight. PP looks night & day better with him on it.

I think this year we could legit have 2 rookie D as finalists for the first time in... a long time?

Throw in Ethan Bear as a distant third for the sweep on D nominees. He’s playing the most minutes of any rookie D man and looking great.

It’s a two horse race for Makar and Hughes. Both excellent skaters and dynamic players. It’d be nice to see a D man win it again. It’s far tougher to break in on D than at F in the NHL.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Throw in Ethan Bear as a distant third for the sweep on D nominees. He’s playing the most minutes of any rookie D man and looking great.

It’s a two horse race for Makar and Hughes. Both excellent skaters and dynamic players. It’d be nice to see a D man win it again. It’s far tougher to break in on D than at F in the NHL.

Haven't watched as much of the Oilers besides our 1 game, but I've seen many Oiler fans saying this. Not surpised, I've liked Bear.

Would be crazy to have 3 D, but I dont think anyone else has jumped out. Voters tend to go on stats (especially considering so many Easterners don't see our games as much) but I'd have Bear in that convo absolutely. Playing a big role on a team in/gunning for the playoffs is pretty impressive too me. Its alot harder as a D too, agree completely.

Reactions: snipes

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..

Such a great name. Hopefully he becomes a #1 just for the name alone, as much as I dislike the Oilers.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Such a great name. Hopefully he becomes a #1 just for the name alone, as much as I dislike the Oilers.

It’s a great hockey name and he’s immensely popular with aboriginal fans in Alberta and Saskatchewan, his sweater is selling like crazy apparently.

This guy always had the offensive skill, he was a WHL D man of the year winner and was a big reason the Thunderbirds went to the Memorial Cup.

The thing for Bear is he put in a lot of work this offseason and completely transformed his body. Credit to him, this is how it should work. Guys should be rewarded for their hard work in the offseason.

Like I said it’s a two horse race between Hughes and Makar but there’s argument for Bear as third to round out the top 3. He’s been excellent in top pairing minutes, I hope to see him get PP1 time so the point totals can reflect how good he’s been.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
It’s a great hockey name and he’s immensely popular with aboriginal fans in Alberta and Saskatchewan, his sweater is selling like crazy apparently.

This guy always had the offensive skill, he was a WHL D man of the year winner and was a big reason the Thunderbirds went to the Memorial Cup.

The thing for Bear is he put in a lot of work this offseason and completely transformed his body. Credit to him, this is how it should work. Guys should be rewarded for their hard work in the offseason.

Like I said it’s a two horse race between Hughes and Makar but there’s argument for Bear as third to round out the top 3. He’s been excellent in top pairing minutes, I hope to see him get PP1 time so the point totals can reflect how good he’s been.
I'll have to tune into a few Oilers games. Sounds like he could be a stud going forward for you guys. You've needed a stud back there for a very long time.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'll have to tune into a few Oilers games. Sounds like he could be a stud going forward for you guys. You've needed a stud back there for a very long time.

He’s already our best D man on the breakout and in transition, he’s a phenomenal puck mover and passer. He doesn’t have the wheels that Hughes and Makar have but he’s got that same elite hockey IQ and fast processing.

I did not expect Nurse and Bear to be our top pairing D this season but they got chemistry together and Bear has been a revelation.

The funny thing is the Oilers have a really deep D core prospect pool and Bear was almost the forgotten about one. And the fact that he’s First Nations and gives back a ton to his community and to the youth makes him an easy kid to root for even if you don’t like the Oilers.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Canucks PP is at 38% since Hughes was switched to the first unit on Oct 20th! Obviously a small sample size but his impact has been dramatic.

He’s got an underrated shot, I didn’t realize how good of a slapshot Hughes has. He can really rip the puck.

I don’t remember him shooting the puck this well previously, he must have really spent time on it this year or he’s growing into his mans body.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think Ethan Bear is going to be a Calder finalist with this crop. He's maybe going to play like a top 2/3 D by the end of the year, which is great for a rookie, but he's up against an instant #1 in Makar and something close to that in Quinn Hughes. In any case, that's how I'd rank them, but Bear has won my heart.

After seeing majormajor's post I need to watch Makar ASAP. Saw him in the playoffs but not since. Sounds like he's more than picked up where he left off.

I was serious about the deferential part too. He's had plays where he comes up the ice with enough speed to blow past the opposition and he passes the puck seemingly to avoid pissing off his new teammates. At UMass he would have gone all the way.

I'm saying Makar has better tools than Hughes, he has the tools to dominate the league. I'm not claiming that he will do it consistently though. Rookies usually don't have much consistency. And Makar hasn't finished much so far, he's had posts and plenty of breakaways, and I'm not assuming they'll all start going in. Finishing is a skill in itself.

Yes you need to watch him. You might have seen this video from a couple days back. But there's a lot of little things that aren't highlight reel but also kind of stunning, at least for me as an amateur hockey player. Cale did a move last night in his end where he skated into a board battle and opened into "Crosby legs" or whatever you want to call it and made a quick arc around a four feet radius, and as he was doing that he scooped the puck out of the scrum and made a quick pass between an opponent's legs. It won't end up in a highlight package.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Speaking as someone who is a fan of the team with Quinn Hughes on it, I think it's waaaaaaaay too early to be writing off Jack Hughes and Kakko just because they've had slow starts. If it's more of the same by Christmas then okay, they're probably out of it. Until then I think it's just a bit naive to already be excluding those guys and talking about how it's going to be a race between 3 defensemen and stuff.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
He’s got an underrated shot, I didn’t realize how good of a slapshot Hughes has. He can really rip the puck.

I don’t remember him shooting the puck this well previously, he must have really spent time on it this year or he’s growing into his mans body.

Yes. If he had this shot in him already, he didn't show it those 5 games last season. But that goal . . .

And he's been ripping all sorts of one-timers since.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I wonder if the NHL is aware of how much destruction their announcement of the October Rookie of the Month selection will have on this thread.

Reactions: qqaz

DanrikCarter

Jan 28, 2009
Rookie of the month for October surprisingly awarded to Olofsson. Vote split between Hughes and Makar, perhaps?

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Rookie of the month for October surprisingly awarded to Olofsson. Vote split between Hughes and Makar, perhaps?

You are assuming there are votes, and not just some intern who puts the stats together and weight goals as most value.

How is it that Huges has the same points in less games, does not get an advantage?

BigTruzz

Jul 19, 2011
Surrey
You are assuming there are votes, and not just some intern who puts the stats together and weight goals as most value.

How is it that Huges has the same points in less games, does not get an advantage?

Meh, don't care. We know how good Hughes is and Colorado knows how good Makar is. Neither of them need to be the rookie of the month to be validated.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Good selection... he deserved it for the way he exploded off the start...

Slowed down towards the end... and the highlights and production started to come from the two D the last week...

But.. them goals!

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Necas in CAR is looking a bit more comfortable in recent games, upping his game. Benefitting from the Canes lineup, he could garner some votes and maybe even make top 1-5 by the end of the year. On pace for 40 points.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Speaking as someone who is a fan of the team with Quinn Hughes on it, I think it's waaaaaaaay too early to be writing off Jack Hughes and Kakko just because they've had slow starts. If it's more of the same by Christmas then okay, they're probably out of it. Until then I think it's just a bit naive to already be excluding those guys and talking about how it's going to be a race between 3 defensemen and stuff.

Jack has 7 points in 12 games. Fewest game plays among a lot of the rookies, and this is despite the Devils struggles.

Ruling him out would be dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad