Official Calder Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
That would be disappointing considering he's already ahead by 3* although he's only had 2 games he played with confidence. Should be closer to 20 if both stay healthy.
*Hughes has played one less game, of course
:laugh: That’s barely even a difference man

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Makar surpassed MacKinnon as Colorado's franchise player. You don't see a Defenseman move like that let alone a rookie:

Insane that all this is from just one game (and it's missing his assist on Mackinnons goal where he circled the offensive zone.)

If you don't look at the number he LOOKS like Mack with the way he skates. He has the same stride and explosiveness. It's crazy for a defenseman.

Reactions: The Sweetness

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I think the debate between Q.Hughes and Makar is going to go on for years. We're all the better for being able to see such amazing young players. Personally I'm picking Q.Hughes for the Calder. HM: Bear, he's worked so hard and improved his game so much. Homer pick: Suzuki, I think he's going to surprise some people this year.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Thatcher Demko is likely only going to get 25-30 games this year if Markstrom stays healthy, so won't be in the conversation for ROY, but he has been lights out so far this year and in his 10 games last year. Plays a very positionally sound game and is very calm in net. If Markstrom were to go down for an extended period, Demko looks like he could step right in and take the reigns. If that happens, he could work his way into the top 5 rankings.

Again, not suggesting he wins the Calder, but certainly a rookie to look out for.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've watched almost every game for both Vancouver and Colorado.

I watch Hughes and I think this is a special player, will probably become a high-end #1 D-man, could win the Calder in some years.

I watch Makar and in some games he's deferring a lot, not sure of his place. In a few of the others he looks like he's deciding to take charge, and he's already one of the very best players in the league, a franchise player, an instant Norris candidate. Suffice it to say, if he plays that way with any semblance of consistency, Makar will win the Calder by a country mile, and there won't be much of a Hughes-Makar debate. We'll have more debates about Makar for Norris, and maybe someday Makar for Hart.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia

I watch Hughes and I think this is a special player, will probably become a high-end #1 D-man, could win the Calder in some years.

I watch Makar and in some games he's deferring a lot, not sure of his place. In a few of the others he looks like he's deciding to take charge, and he's already one of the very best players in the league, a franchise player, an instant Norris candidate. Suffice it to say, if he plays that way with any semblance of consistency, Makar will win the Calder by a country mile, and there won't be much of a Hughes-Makar debate. We'll have more debates about Makar for Norris, and maybe someday Makar for Hart.

Couldn't agree more.

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO

Yeah. You aren't going to have the confidence to take over a corporate office, even if you already have the best ideas in your first year. This isn't a work, its a masterpiece in progress and all we need to do is sit back and love it.

Rowlet

Oct 13, 2018
we're so lucky to see QuHu and Makar fight for the Calder, something tells me they will be fighting for the norris for a few years to come.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
I remember being so chapped about not having a lottery pick in the 17 draft. I'm sure Avs fans were too. Worked out pretty well for both teams.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
After seeing majormajor's post I need to watch Makar ASAP. Saw him in the playoffs but not since. Sounds like he's more than picked up where he left off.

Quinn Hughes with 3 more points tonight. PP looks night & day better with him on it.

I think this year we could legit have 2 rookie D as finalists for the first time in... a long time?

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

Wow that is a hot take. Hughes is tied for points in less games, is a year younger and is better in several advanced stats on a worse team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->