Official Calder Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
LOL are you listening to yourself?

you want me to exclude Quinn's last game because he got 3 points so that it can make Makar look better? Common man not everything is an attack on Makar. You were litterally responding to a conversation i was having with someone who expressed that Quinn has been hotter lately. How can i take away last games performance based on that parameter?
The point was that you picked a completely random sample size in 13 and it likely was because it favoured Hughes. I could likely pick a random sample size that would favour Makar but that would be inane and hardly a good point in this discussion.

Anyways I don’t know why we can’t discuss the players with accurate observations rather than letting bias drive us to look for stats that back our pre-determined ideas or in some cases make up complete nonsense narratives. Each fanbase knows more about their own player. Let’s talk about our players positives and share info on our exciting players instead of divulging into pointless arguments predicated on ignorance and tribalism.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Based on those developmental trajection, "if all things stay the same" Then Hughes has a higher ceiling and will out produce Makar when their careers are over.
I agreed with most of what you said up to this point, but this is such bad logic. Based on developmental trajection? First off it's trajectory. Secondy, in no world do you have a model that can predict how prospects will do year to year. You're more than welcome to say whatever you want (obviously) but why even waste your time writing this in particular? It's as valuable to this forum as me saying "if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle".

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
has elvis passed Olofsson as no3 for some people here ?

That is a good question.. I think if it was awarded today Elvis Merzilikans would win the Calder. 5 shutouts in his last 10 starts save % at .938 I like the other guys.. but putting team loyalties a side and just truly elite rookie performances this isn't even close. I'm embarrassed that Elvis has had to contribute so much just to keep the CBJ in the Wildcard race.

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
Makar is the front runner IMO, he leads Hughes in almost every statistical category while playing 10 less games.

If games played were even Hughes would equivalent. Considering Makar's goals/hits/ppg all higher on injured riddled avalanche there's some separation here

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Wanted him to maintain 3rd in the scoring race throughout his absence, but I'll settle for him doing it in his first game back.

MaximusT

Dec 5, 2008
Has Gurianov entered the Race? He’s got 17 on the year. If he gets some confidence and can keep scoring more goals in even strength, he could make it interesting

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
At this point I'm saying it's either Makar or Hughes. But I'll make my official guess by the end of the year, around this time I'd have it set.

But if I were to give an answer right now I'd say Hughes, he's been playing like a vet.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Makar is the front runner IMO, he leads Hughes in almost every statistical category while playing 10 less games.
This is just outright not true, unless you're only considering a couple surface level statistics. Last I checked, around a month ago or so, Hughes was significantly better in a number of advanced stats, mostly defensively, and now leads him in points as well (albeit, as you said, in more games). I'd be interested in seeing how they've compared since Makar came back from injury, since it seems like they've kept completely even pace since then, if not with Hughes having outscored him slightly.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Coin flip between Hughes & Makar right now. And Elvis has moved into #3.

1. Makar/Hughes
2. -
3. Merzlikins

After that its a good group. The rest are overshadowed by how outstanding the defenseman have been. I'd have Olofsson next, then Suzuki.

You could make cases for Fox & Kubalik, (amongst others), for recognition aswell.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Coin flip between Hughes & Makar right now. And Elvis has moved into #3.

1. Makar/Hughes
2. -
3. Merzlikins

After that its a good group. The rest are overshadowed by how outstanding the defenseman have been. I'd have Olofsson next, then Suzuki.

You could make cases for Fox & Kubalik, (amongst others), for recognition aswell.
Samsonov would be up there with Elvis for me. 2020, man... It’s the year of the goalies and defensemen.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Samsonov would be up there with Elvis for me. 2020, man... It’s the year of the goalies and defensemen.

So rare with the defenseman, but its a good point on the goalies too.

Binnington was the first one in awhile, now right away both Samsonov & Elvis are doing the same.

Samsonov slipped my mind. I'd have him in the group with Olfosson & Suzuki.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->