Official Calder Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I actually thought he looked a bit out of place out there. Not that he was nervous or anything, but that he isnt close to any of the other players. Peterrson carried him for most shifts I watched. Hughes would skate around aimlessly and Petersson would bail him scoring.
I didn't watch. But how on earth then did Hughes end up outscoring petey 6pts to 3?

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
I actually thought he looked a bit out of place out there. Not that he was nervous or anything, but that he isnt close to any of the other players. Peterrson carried him for most shifts I watched. Hughes would skate around aimlessly and Petersson would bail him scoring.
Lol what? Were we watching the same game? There was a good reason for him to be MVP of those games, but sure he was skating around aimlessly just like he always does right?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I doubt they can avoid it. Pettersson hit it pretty hard last year coming from the SHL, I believe neither expected to be played 21+ mins a game coming in.

Simpo

Sep 18, 2011
Quinn looking Makar like on that one! When did his shot become so good? Thought it was supposed to be a muffin.
Nice goal.

Shows his skating ability well here too. A couple of seconds into this video, Meier goes in for what he thinks will be a puck battle with Hughes. Look how, only a second afterwards, Quinn gets to the puck, spins away, and how much space he has for himself. Scary good.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Screen shot all the way. There must have been 5 players in front of the goalie. The play was on the boards, nothing special about the shot.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Vancouver and Colorado tied in the standings, although Colorado does have some games in hand. I think it’s fair to say that most would not have predicted that when looking at the two rosters. While there are a whole bunch of reasons for the Canucks success, Hughes has been a big part of it. I know it’s not the most valuable rookie award but I doubt that there has been a more impactful rookie this year than Hughes. Fully deserving to be in the Calder discussion.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver and Colorado tied in the standings, although Colorado does have some games in hand. I think it’s fair to say that most would not have predicted that when looking at the two rosters. While there are a whole bunch of reasons for the Canucks success, Hughes has been a big part of it. I know it’s not the most valuable rookie award but I doubt that there has been a more impactful rookie this year than Hughes. Fully deserving to be in the Calder discussion.
Makar has been just as impactful for the avs. He missed 8 games and we lost 7 of them .

Reactions: avsfan09

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Makar has been just as impactful for the avs. He missed 8 games and we lost 7 of them .
Fair point. But when I look at the two rosters i would expect the Avalanche to be challenging St. Louis for first overall and the Canucks to be a bubble team at best.
There’s lots of reasons for their places in the standings so I’m not going to try to read too much into it. My main point was that Hughes has been every bit as impactful as Makar and I think people talking about Makar being on another level are overstating their case. I’d still say Makar should be the favourite to win though.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Fair point. But when I look at the two rosters i would expect the Avalanche to be challenging St. Louis for first overall and the Canucks to be a bubble team at best.
There’s lots of reasons for their places in the standings so I’m not going to try to read too much into it. My main point was that Hughes has been every bit as impactful as Makar and I think people talking about Makar being on another level are overstating their case. I’d still say Makar should be the favourite to win though.
No doubt Hugh’s is quite the talent and both these guys are going head to head for the next 15 years. Exiting times ahead

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
I doubt they can avoid it. Pettersson hit it pretty hard last year coming from the SHL, I believe neither expected to be played 21+ mins a game coming in.

Pettersson's skating isnt the best or effecient. He uses alot of energy with it.

Hughes i thought would have hit some sort of wall around Christmas just because of his slight frame however his skating is so fluid and effecient that he isnt exerting as much energy as most. Travis Green said he doesnt even worry about Hughes on back to back days because the way he skates he can play 4 games in a row....ala Scott Neidermeyer.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
My 2 cents.

Makar is having a great year and should win the Calder.

Hughes is making the bigger impact in respect to their team. (most valuable to their team) Especially considering where the Canucks are supposed to be in the standing and where they currently are. Add that to the fact that the AVS have a Hart Trophy candidate on their team as well. However, having said that, I think Makar would be making as big of an impact as Hughes with the Canucks if they switched teams.

It will be interesting to see if these 2 players continue to get compared to eachother after this season considering they arent even in the same draft class or same age.

Goals and Points are definitely a more sexy stat. Makar has this part of the game better than Hughes.
However, I think Hughes is closer to Makar offensively than Makar is to Hughes defensively as of right now.

Hoping to see a Van vs Col WCF! That would be a treat to see the young talent that would be on display in a series like that.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
It’s Makars, and it’s honestly not even that close. This coming from a Canucks fan

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Brett Hedican, NBC Sports California and Broadcaster for Sharks Game

"Quinn Hughes is generational"

Hedican during the 2nd intermession of the Sharks and Canucks game last night

This is heavy praise coming from a 2x olympian and stanley cup champ.

Sounds like its not just Canuck fans that are starting to pump the tire of Hughes.

Eastern Road trip coming up will open some eyes, same did for the All-Star festivities.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
makar is easily better than hughes, who knows in the future but idk how thats even a close conversation this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad