Official Calder Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So base on this theory Hughes at 21 will be a better than Makar at 21 considering the fact Hughes at age 17 to 20 was a better D than Makar at age 17 to 20

Thank you for confirming you think Hughes will be better than Makar

Of course you take a tounge-in-cheek sarcastic comment seriously and actually try to spin it in some messed up way to push your narrative.

Chill out. Take a f***ing joke.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Quinn Hughes is winning over peers at his first all-star weekend - Sportsnet.ca

Agree completely with Nate, I've been saying it for awhile. They are different players.

Makar is unique in that he plays a balanced 2-way game, but has exceptional explosiveness with his skating & shooting that most don't, can exploit space quickly.

Hughes on the other-hand slows the game down, uses his IQ & skating ability to control the play at both ends.

Given the results of last nights fastest skater competition... It's certainly clear Hughes doesn't speed the game up.

:sarcasm:

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Are there any good videos with Quinn's highlights from this season? There are few good ones with Makar - how he scores, dekes and hits but can't find anything for Hughes - it's either from previous season or an interview or some analytics.

Last edited:

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Uhhhhh. No... Based on what? Points? He's not the top minute man on his own team. He doesn't even play as much as Quinn Hughes.

Every Norris Trophy winner since post lockout shortened year has been the minute leader on their team, most of which were 24+ mins average. He wouldn't even be top 5 TBH. Carlson, Pietrangelo, Josi, Hedman & Hamilton.

Makar's dynamic offensive ability & point totals are impressive, but that's not everything. He's only a rookie, he'll get there but he's not Norris level yet.
I honestly wouldn't look to deep into Makar's minutes. They tend to play him less and rest him when the Av's are well ahead in a game which they have done a lot this year. He plays a lot more when it's close.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I honestly wouldn't look to deep into Makar's minutes. They tend to play him less and rest him when the Av's are well ahead in a game which they have done a lot this year. He plays a lot more when it's close.

That's fine but that's not a Norris candidate. Which is fine, that shouldnt be the expectation this early anyways.

On another note, it would've been great to see Makar in the fastest skater comp.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
That's fine but that's not a Norris candidate. Which is fine, that shouldnt be the expectation this early anyways.

On another note, it would've been great to see Makar in the fastest skater comp.
Yeah I don't think he's a norris candidate this year yet either. Not out of the discussion but not ballot worthy yet.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Serious question for Avs fans, because I just haven't watched Makar enough to know this for sure, but what is his panic threshold?

Quinn doesn't seem to panic much at all. I suspect Makar probably doesn't seem to panic much, but I'd like to hear what Avs fans have to say.

And btw, I don't care who wins the Calder. Both these guys are great.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Serious question for Avs fans, because I just haven't watched Makar enough to know this for sure, but what is his panic threshold?

Quinn doesn't seem to panic much at all. I suspect Makar probably doesn't seem to panic much, but I'd like to hear what Avs fans have to say.

And btw, I don't care who wins the Calder. Both these guys are great.

He’s bobbled the puck under pressure/made a few bad passes this year when heavily forechecked but the majority of the time he’s comfortable, plus he had a good showing stepping in in the playoffs so I’d say overall quite well. Room for improvement for sure but good... One thing I hope he clears up is his slow puck retrieval in his end. He tends to take his time when teams dump it into his corner and he’s forced to make rushed decisions unnecessarily when he could push a little harder to give himself that extra second at times.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Given the results of last nights fastest skater competition... It's certainly clear Hughes doesn't speed the game up.

:sarcasm:
Well his score still beat Makars score in the competition. Oh wait

In all seriousness, Quinn is a possession player who has some of the best edgwork in hockey.

In this thread I see so many Avs fans write these insecure type posts the minute any nuck fan says anything to defend Quinn. I have posted several times praising both guys but the fact is when Cale was 20 he was I'm college at frat parties playing beer bong and hopefully crossing a few things off his bucket list.

At 20, Q is a top pairing D putting up numbers that destroy what Rasmus has done in his rookie and sophomore season. Just for fun he put up 6 points in the ASG and was the first rookie D to score a goal since 1973. I have read every post in this thread and yes there have been some dumb posts from Q supporters, there have been a lot more from Avs posters and they have been usually the ones who do it first with nuck fans taking the bait.

Lots of Hippocrates here as well, saying that Q is reaping the rewards on pp1, (he is the main reason it's been so good) but a nuck fan points out Q plays mostly with the shutdown lines or that Makk has been involved for around 90% of Cales points, were told that's not important.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah Quinn’s speed in the fastest skater comp has nothing to do with what makes his skating so elite. It’s his ability to skate in small spaces and his edge work while also still being very fast.

Funny enough Quinn really reminds me of a different Avs defenseman. Sam Girard. Hughes is already better despite being a year younger but stylistically they look so similar. Their skating almost looks like the same person. They both even refuse to ever smile and look depressed even after scoring goals.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
He’s bobbled the puck under pressure/made a few bad passes this year when heavily forechecked but the majority of the time he’s comfortable, plus he had a good showing stepping in in the playoffs so I’d say overall quite well. Room for improvement for sure but good... One thing I hope he clears up is his slow puck retrieval in his end. He tends to take his time when teams dump it into his corner and he’s forced to make rushed decisions unnecessarily when he could push a little harder to give himself that extra second at times.
Thanks for that. It sounds to me that his natural skill level is Over coming any other difficulties at this point. In a couple of years, Quinn and Cale will be the dominant D men for the next decade.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Took in about 10 minutes of the all-star action. I would rather watch a team skate gassers. Anybody making any conclusions from QH's performance in the game relative to CM is misled. That wasn't hockey yesterday.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
I honestly think it can go either way. If both stay healthy for the rest of the year it will come down to who stays productive, but we all know they both will. It could end up pretty close.

what we can all agree on tho... is.

Makar + Hughes > Karlsson + Burns.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
The only way Makar does not win is if somebody Nancy Kerrigans him. He is by far the easy favourite.

That kid is levels above the next guys. He is a Mack on defense. Jealous of them.

Reactions: Makar27

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
The only way Makar does not win is if somebody Nancy Kerrigans him. He is by far the easy favourite.

That kid is levels above the next guys. He is a Mack on defense. Jealous of them.

Agreed he is ahead. But he is a slump or QH heater away from having Quinn pull even, so no not miles ahead.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
It was only an allstar game but you could clearly see Hughes high end skill on display.
I actually thought he looked a bit out of place out there. Not that he was nervous or anything, but that he isnt close to any of the other players. Peterrson carried him for most shifts I watched. Hughes would skate around aimlessly and Petersson would bail him scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->