Official Bob Cole Division Round 2 Results: Nanaimo Clippers vs Hartford Whalers

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 1: The left wing lock of Hartford is able to contain Nanaimo early. Mikita and Cournoyer hook up for the first goal while Foote and Salming contain the Esposito line. Nanaimo adds a goal by Hejduk and a powerplay goal by Drillon. Nanaimo just can't get anything going, and when they do, Hasek is there to stop them cold.

Hartford wins 3-0

Game 2: Nanaimo adapts a dump and chase style with an intense forecheck, particularly by Broadbent, Duff and Nystrom. This is able to break the left wing lock, but, still can't break Hasek. As the game wears on, Nanaimo starts to lose hope and Hartford is quick on the counter attack with goals by Mikita, Zubov and Cournoyer.

Hartford wins 3-0

Game 3: Hartford gets off to an early lead on a Syd Howe goal. But, an O'Reilly penalty provides an opportunity for Nanaimo. With Esposito working his magic in front, he's able to defelect a Dit Clapper point shot past Hasek. With the mystique gone, Nanaimo gets fired up, which brings Dryden's “A†game. Dryden shuts the door and Conacher scores the winner.

Nanaimo wins 2-1

Game 4: The momentum has fully shifted in Nanaimo's favour. An early goal by Schriner sets that tone. And is followed by goals by Gadsby and Ullman. Dryden is a wall that shuts the door on the Hartford offence.

Nanaimo wins 3-0

Game 5: Mikita gives his all to bring his team back from the brink, but is matched by Esposito, goals by Cournoyer, Howe, Espo and Broadbent have it all tied up. A goal by Mikita gives Hartford the edge. But Cowley ties it up and Lemieux gets a go ahead goal. Hartford pours everything they have on Dryden, Clapper, Pronovost and Gadbsy, but, just can't beat Dryden.

Nanaimo wins 4-3

Game 6: Broadbent deflects a powerplay shot in early. Mikita answers with a goal of his own. And then Hasek and Dryden shut the door. Both teams pour everything they have on the goalies, but neither is giving an inch. Hartford roles three lines of pressure and just can't beat Dryden. Nanaimo spends two periods getting in Hasek's face. Deflecting shots, talking trash and accidentally on purpose bumping into him. But neither goalie can be beaten, we're going to overtime. After one overtime, the goaltending duel continues on full steam. To switch things up, Sather moves Clapper to rightwing, two on one, Ullman and Clapper vs Konstantinov, Vlad hits the puck carrier Ullman, but not before the pass is made to Clapper, Clapper fakes the wrist shot, high backhand to the top corner, stick-side. SCORES!

Nanaimo wins 2-1 in overtime.

Three Stars:
3rd: Dominic Hasek
2nd: Stan Mikita
1st: Ken Dryden

The Nanaimo Clippers defeat the Hartford Whalers four games to two.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I definitely thought this one would go 7 games. Hartford was definitely well suited to play against me. It was a tight matchup for sure.

Thanks for the write up again Nalyd. I'm looking forward to an intense battle with the Smoke Eaters next round.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I thought that the Whalers had this one with the goaltending of Hasek leading the way although at the end of the day what really seemed to get them was the lack of depth on the left wing... all that being said this one was as much of a tossup as it could have gotten.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I predicted it would go to seven games and I got the stars totally wrong.

Great write-up by Nalyd Psycho once again.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Congratulations to Nanaimo on pulling out the win in an excellent series. Looking forward to a tough, 7-gamer in the conference final. pit, you and I have teams that would be best described as mirror images of each other. I'll post my thoughts on the series later today, looking forward to some outstanding debate with Nanaimo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad