OT: Official Arizona Visitors Inquiry Thread (links on start page)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Checkout my sticky thread "Official Arizona Visitors Inquiry Thread" where I have a bunch of links on main start page.
Also if this thread can be moved to that thread as well that would be great.

You're best bet here is to rent a car or van to get around since not even having the newly installed light rail isn't going to help much unless your travel while you're here is within 5-10 miles of.
Posted via Mobile Device

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Unless you're a fanatical dbacks fan, it's probably better to catch one of the spring games in the Phoenix metro. Tucson is a long drive as ArizonaPride notes.

The dbacks are playing the afternoon of the 10th in Glendale against the Dodgers if you don't mind doubling up on sports on the 10th. There are six games scheduled in the Phoenix metro area on the 11th.

http://www.tickco.com/spring-training/cactus-league-stadiums.htm

Sarge18

Feb 17, 2007
If you want to add more decadence to your meal, definitely try the fried cheese curds.

Done and done. Awesome place. It was jam packed at 2:30 in the afternoon. We went to the one in Surprise since we were in that area. It was like heaven's waiting room in there. I'd say the average age was a thousand, except for us.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
We really enjoyed Yardhouse before the game. We went with a Margherita pizza, the onion tower, classic sliders, and the wings. Plus three different IPAs. We will make YH a must for next game's itinerary in March.

Thanks for the scoop on Westgate.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Yardhouse is a great choice for pre and post-game. Great selection of beer, good food, good atmosphere. Great choice.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I love Culvers. I was turned on to them while on a trip to Minnesota a few years back and was quite happy to have them in Phoenix. The burgers are great. If you want to add more decadence to your meal, definitely try the fried cheese curds.

Oooo I've got lots of friends from Wisconsin who have been looking for good Cheese Curds around town. They hated the ones at Mable Murphy's in Old Town Scottsdale (aka Lambeau Field - West).

kootenayfan

Sep 3, 2005
Southeastern BC
OT: Coming to Phoenix

Hi Coyote fans, my wife and i will be in Phoenix from the 2nd to 12th of Feb. We would like to take in the Oiler-Coyote game. Where is the best place to get tickets?

My wife is born and raised in Phoenix, but its been years since she has been home.

Also, is the poster CoyoteLove still around? She will recognize my username..lol.

Thanks all for your help.

Thanks Mods, i didnt see this thread.

Last edited:

pyregretzky

Aug 11, 2009
Hi Coyote fans, my wife and i will be in Phoenix from the 2nd to 12th of Feb. We would like to take in the Oiler-Coyote game. Where is the best place to get tickets?

My wife is born and raised in Phoenix, but its been years since she has been home.

Also, is the poster CoyoteLove still around? She will recognize my username..lol.

Cross posting from the ticket thread :)

You can get a discount through the link below and it helps one of the best posters here get a chance to drop a puck at a game

http://www.phoenixcoyotes.com/ambassadors.marcfredrick
Password = coyotes

zz

Nov 1, 2006

You're in luck, there's a February special for the Feb 8th Oilers game:

https://oss.ticketmaster.com/html/g...ner=8305482&group=711&err=&event=&customerID=

password: COYOTES

$81.25 (Reg. $100)
Lower-level

Center Ice $41.25 (Reg. $80)
Lower-level
Corners

$31.25 (Reg. $60)
Lower-level

End Zone $16.25 (Reg. $30)
Upper-level
End Zone

Awesome deal.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Just gettin' the word out...

The 2010 Tempe Music Fest has been canceled. Apparently they can't find artists in time for the festival.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Ha. Didn't the same thing happen last year?

This town NEEDS some kind of music fest.

As long as its nothing like the hippie trash Woodstock.

My guess is the popularity of Westgate is playing a role of drawing more bands to the West Valley.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Ha. Didn't the same thing happen last year?

This town NEEDS some kind of music fest.

As long as its nothing like the hippie trash Woodstock.

My guess is the popularity of Westgate is playing a role of drawing more bands to the West Valley.
Posted via Mobile Device

What gets me is that Coachella is not long after the TMF and they can't get artists from there?

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
Piss poor promoters. Lack of an enticing venue/open space near Phoenix probably plays a part. I know Phoenix isn't like LA, NY or Florida or even Austin for that matter, but people here do like music, it's not a almost dead music scene like Vegas is. I imagine that the promoters COULD get acts from Coachella.. but either they want the big names, or are so inept they have no idea who the smaller acts are. I'm sure with ASU being right there, the indie crowd could make a decent showing.

The best place to see a show, in my experience is Cricket pavillion. I saw Megadeth as Mesa Amphitheatre, and man that place is pretty small and intimate. I don't know what the Tempe Music Fest grounds looked like, but there's not many places designed for a music festival around here, even a marginal ones.

Hopefully for ArizonaPride, Sean Hannity's Freedom Tour will once again make a stop here.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Piss poor promoters. Lack of an enticing venue/open space near Phoenix probably plays a part. I know Phoenix isn't like LA, NY or Florida or even Austin for that matter, but people here do like music, it's not a almost dead music scene like Vegas is. I imagine that the promoters COULD get acts from Coachella.. but either they want the big names, or are so inept they have no idea who the smaller acts are. I'm sure with ASU being right there, the indie crowd could make a decent showing.

The best place to see a show, in my experience is Cricket pavillion. I saw Megadeth as Mesa Amphitheatre, and man that place is pretty small and intimate. I don't know what the Tempe Music Fest grounds looked like, but there's not many places designed for a music festival around here, even a marginal ones.

Hopefully for ArizonaPride, Sean Hannity's Freedom Tour will once again make a stop here.

LOL Not a Hannity fan and I never been to a music concert either.
Posted via Mobile Device

yakko

Mar 19, 2004
Northern California
That's not the feeling I ever got. Maybe for the over 50 crowd, yeah.

Are you calling me old? :sarcasm:

In Las Vegas, it all depends on where you go. The big spots on the strip really cater to the masses. There is plenty else to be seen. It's not a great scene like Austin, San Francisco or even LA, but it is something. My experience in Phoenix has never been anything but sad. I've seen better bands in Tucson and San Bernardino than Phoenix. Even on the strip in Las Vegas I've seen decent bands at House of Blues in Mandalay Bay.

Captain Mittens*

I will be in Phoenix next week for Spring Training.

I plan to eat 90-95% of my meals at Grimaldi's. Any where else that I should eat for a once in a lifetime meal?

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Any where else that I should eat for a once in a lifetime meal?

Depends on your tastes and price range.

IMO the best restaurant in the valley is Binkleys (Cave Creek). You have to get one of the tasting menus. But be prepared to shell out $150 / person if you're going to do wine pairing (that's with tip included). I went there once to celebrate a job promotion, and it was a once in a lifetime meal.

http://www.binkleysrestaurant.com/

Captain Mittens*

Depends on your tastes and price range.

IMO the best restaurant in the valley is Binkleys (Cave Creek). You have to get one of the tasting menus. But be prepared to shell out $150 / person if you're going to do wine pairing (that's with tip included). I went there once to celebrate a job promotion, and it was a once in a lifetime meal.

http://www.binkleysrestaurant.com/

Thanks! Keep them coming (I am going with a group and you know there is going to be a cheap or picky ****er)

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Thanks! Keep them coming (I am going with a group and you know there is going to be a cheap or picky ****er)

Affluent areas like South Mountain North Scottsdale and Cave Creek are going to have those restaurants that

I have yet to eat at a place that costs over $40 a plate but I have heard of some good places like Ruth Chris Steakhouse in the Camelback/Biltmore area of Phoenix.

If your looking for fancy plus some naughty than check out Christie's Cabaret. :naughty:
Posted via Mobile Device

Captain Mittens*

Affluent areas like South Mountain North Scottsdale and Cave Creek are going to have those restaurants that

I have yet to eat at a place that costs over $40 a plate but I have heard of some good places like Ruth Chris Steakhouse in the Camelback/Biltmore area of Phoenix.

If your looking for fancy plus some naughty than check out Christie's Cabaret. :naughty:
Posted via Mobile Device
I will be in Camelback a lot.

We do have Ruth Chris's in CA. I don't know about you guys, but I am not impressed with that place. I can make a better steak at home.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I will be in Camelback a lot.

We do have Ruth Chris's in CA. I don't know about you guys, but I am not impressed with that place. I can make a better steak at home.

Ill take your word on it! I'm still looking up the name of an italian restarunt on 32nd st and Camelback Road that is supposed to be outstanding according to a couple of ladies who flew in from Toronto.

Ill need a few minutes to get the name.
Posted via Mobile Device

FOUND IT!
http://www.tomasos.com/PhoenixHome.htm

Last edited:

zz

Nov 1, 2006

If you're into Sushi or Japanese-oriented cuisine in general I highly recommend Yasu, close to PV mall. Much, much cheaper than Binkleys (can't compare, really), but very good. Plates are tapas-size, so you order a bunch of them. Great place, great food. Very unique, not your typical sushi bar.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/locations/yasu-sushi-bistro-457922

I've also heard a lot of good things about Rancho Pinot in Scottsdale. Classic menu, but supposedly very good.

http://www.ranchopinot.com/

And if you're looking for ideas, take a look at the Phoenix New Times restaurant section.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/restaurants

EDIT: about Binkleys - I forgot to mention the owner/chef used to work at the French Laundry in CA. If you like food, that should sound familiar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad