OT: Official Arizona Visitors Inquiry Thread (links on start page)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Passthedonuts

Jun 29, 2008
Oakville, ON
My wife and son are heading to Scottsdale in May with our friends and their daughter. Both kids will be 1 year old at the time.

Any ideas for attractions that are kid friendly and entertaining for kids that age? I'm thinking Arizona Science Center. What else?

Also what are the good sports bars in Scottsdale / NE Phoenix that will show playoff hockey regularly in May?

zz

Nov 1, 2006
My wife and son are heading to Scottsdale in May with our friends and their daughter. Both kids will be 1 year old at the time.

Any ideas for attractions that are kid friendly and entertaining for kids that age? I'm thinking Arizona Science Center. What else?

Also what are the good sports bars in Scottsdale / NE Phoenix that will show playoff hockey regularly in May?

It'll be hot, so forget about any outdoor activities.
Science center is alright, but keep your expectations pretty low.

Chlidren's museum is fun for little ones - proably more age appropriate:

http://www.childrensmuseumofphoenix.org/

The museum of natural history in Mesa is OK.

http://www.azmnh.org/Home.aspx

Wildlife world zoo has an air conditioned aquarium, but it's very far away from Scottsdale (hour drive):

http://www.wildlifeworld.com/

I've been to Makutu's Island in Tempe once, the kids had fun but it can get pretty wild in there. Not sure if they have stuff for one year old babies though:

http://www.makutusisland.com/

I'll post again if I think of something else. But my top recommendation would be the children's museum.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

Fox Sports Grill
Oggi's Pizza
Buffalo's Wild Wings
Famous Sam's
There's also some bars as well at the Desert Ridge shopping plaza on Tatum RD just North of the AZ Loop 101 on the right hand side.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sarge18

Feb 17, 2007
Ok, I'm flying in for Thursday's game on Wednesday afternoon. I've got my game tickets thanks to RR, hotel is set, and rental car for $10.32 a day(!) My only remaining question (I think) is how is the traffic out there? I'll be getting my rental car around 4 on Wednesday and have to drive all the way to W. Bell Rd in Glendale just off 101 so how much of an ordeal will it be at rush hour? How about heading to the game on Thursday from that same area? I'm also hopefully heading to Pizzeria Bianco on Friday, (as early as possible). How bad would the drive there be around 3:30 or so?

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC

It depends on what part of Scottsdale/NE Phoenix you will be in. Pretty much all bars in the area will have the NHL Center Ice package. However, NHL is pretty low on the importance totem pole for bars. If there is another major event that night (like a Suns game) it will take precedence over everything else. However, if you call ahead to the bar you want to go, you can ask them to reserve a TV for you.

Ok, I'm flying in for Thursday's game on Wednesday afternoon. I've got my game tickets thanks to RR, hotel is set, and rental car for $10.32 a day(!) My only remaining question (I think) is how is the traffic out there? I'll be getting my rental car around 4 on Wednesday and have to drive all the way to W. Bell Rd in Glendale just off 101 so how much of an ordeal will it be at rush hour? How about heading to the game on Thursday from that same area? I'm also hopefully heading to Pizzeria Bianco on Friday, (as early as possible). How bad would the drive there be around 3:30 or so?

Getting to that general area can be a pain in the backside at rush hour as the 17 and the 10 are major gridlock areas that time of the day.

Once you make it to the 101 North, it's usually pretty clear sailing to where you're going.

Last edited:

pyregretzky

Aug 11, 2009
Driving from 4-6pm pretty much puts you dead center in rush hour traffic and unless you hit a calm pocket and can take advantage of it you might have somewhat of a bad time. The drive from 101/Bell to the arena shouldn't be a problem at all. The drive to Bianco shouldn't be too horrible but there will be a line(make sure to bring something to keep you entertained unless you want to spend a few hours at the bar next door)

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
Driving from 4-6pm pretty much puts you dead center in rush hour traffic and unless you hit a calm pocket and can take advantage of it you might have somewhat of a bad time.

Even in the carpool lane on the 10? I don't drive it anymore but it used to help a lot westbound during rush hour.

Passthedonuts

Jun 29, 2008
Oakville, ON
It depends on what part of Scottsdale/NE Phoenix you will be in. Pretty much all bars in the area will have the NHL Center Ice package. However, NHL is pretty low on the importance totem pole for bars. If there is another major event that night (like a Suns game) it will take precedence over everything else. However, if you call ahead to the bar you want to go, you can ask them to reserve a TV for you.

Great idea, thanks. We'll be Thompson Peak / FLW. What is the closest one in the area?

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Even in the carpool lane on the 10? I don't drive it anymore but it used to help a lot westbound during rush hour.

In the bigger picture, the State of Arizona failed to think long-term with its highway construction.
Many of these expansions that are going on now should have happened along time ago.
Right now its a pain in the ass driving on the 202 from the I-10/SR51 interchange to the 101/Tempe Marketplace and from there to about Val Vista and the 202 with all the work being done.

Better late than never I guess! If only now they would do the following.
1. Expand the 303 and add more highway space of either the 101 or the 202 to go through the South Mountain area to get to the West Valley and back even though a lot of folks there are against that.
2. Expand 1-10 from metro Phoenix to Tucson since most of that stretch of highway is still only 2 lanes of highway each way.
Posted via Mobile Device

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Great idea, thanks. We'll be Thompson Peak / FLW. What is the closest one in the area?

AZ 101 is your nearest highway. Going east on it will take you into Tempe Chandler and going West will take you into Northern Phoenix, Glendale Peoria, Avondale.
Posted via Mobile Device

Edit: Oops I misunderstood what you said. Pretty much to experience most of the bars where you are you going to have to bring yourself along the 101 since the further up north you are from the 101 the less there is to do of anything.

Last edited:

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Who makes the better sliders at Westgate?

Yardhouse (4 Naturewell natural angus/$5.13*) or Gordon Biersch (3 kobe/$8*)?

*happy hour prices (3-6 PM)

How's Camarone's tableside guacamole?

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

Never had the tableside you mentioned.
However I'm biased here since Yardhouse is my favorite out if all the other restaurants there.
Yardhouse sliders are great and so are a few other things as well.
Wings, pizza, onion ring tower, chicken fingers.
Did I mention that they have a large selection of beer too?
Posted via Mobile Device

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ

I haven't had sliders at Gordon Biersch, but overall the food there has been hit or miss for me. I like the Yardhouse much better.

The Yardhouse has regular sliders and Bearnaise sliders. I LOVE the Bearnaise sliders and had them last night in fact. They have thin sliced onion rings on them and are served with a side of Bearnaise that is amazing. Oh.. and they come with Frys too. They were $10.25, which seems high for an appetizer, but the portion is huge. I had that and 2 beers and was stuffed.

Sarge18

Feb 17, 2007
Down here now. What an awesome area. Had lunch at Thee Pitts Again. Best bbq I've ever had. Got pulled over by a sheriff's officer in the middle of nowhere coming back to the hotel because he didn't see the plate on my rental car. Good times!

yakko

Mar 19, 2004
Northern California
Down here now. What an awesome area. Had lunch at Thee Pitts Again. Best bbq I've ever had. Got pulled over by a sheriff's officer in the middle of nowhere coming back to the hotel because he didn't see the plate on my rental car. Good times!

It's always fun to get pulled over in a state you don't live while driving a rental car. I once got pulled over in Austin for expired registration while driving a rental car. The cop let me off, but only after a long speech about how he could totally give me a ticket because it is my responsibility driving the car not the owner of the car. Who am I to argue with a guy not giving me a ticket?

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
I haven't had sliders at Gordon Biersch, but overall the food there has been hit or miss for me. I like the Yardhouse much better.

The Yardhouse has regular sliders and Bearnaise sliders. I LOVE the Bearnaise sliders and had them last night in fact. They have thin sliced onion rings on them and are served with a side of Bearnaise that is amazing. Oh.. and they come with Frys too. They were $10.25, which seems high for an appetizer, but the portion is huge. I had that and 2 beers and was stuffed.

I was fortunate to eat at the original GB in Palo Alto several times in the early 90s. Great food, great beer. Once they got bought out the food went downhill big-time. Still stop in for the Blond Bock (when they have it) and Marzen, but dinner is always elsewhere.

yakko

Mar 19, 2004
Northern California
I was fortunate to eat at the original GB in Palo Alto several times in the early 90s. Great food, great beer. Once they got bought out the food went downhill big-time. Still stop in for the Blond Bock (when they have it) and Marzen, but dinner is always elsewhere.

I haven't been in a few years, but I always thought the GB in San Jose had pretty good food. I'm actually pretty indifferent to their beer which is why I like Yard House better. The Yard House locations I have been too had a great selection of beer. Sadly, no Yard House locations in the bay area.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Yardhouse I'm liking more than Applebees since their happy hour selection now is just as good as AppleBees's.
The only reason why I don't go to AppleBees anymore is because I don't offer shots at half off anymore.
What a shame since 1800 and Patron are great Tequila.
Posted via Mobile Device

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

Welcome and enjoy your stay! I hope your really hungary since we have other great eats here a well.

1. There are lots of NY Style Pizza places like Rays Pizza New York Pizza Department and Native New Yorker as well.

There's a Native New Yorker in the same shopping plaza(Westgate) as Jobing.com Arena north of on the otherside of Glendale Ave.

2. As a former resident of the NY Metro Area I know how important a good deli sandwich is. There's a Boars Head stand at the arena and these cold cuts are for sale at most Fry's Supermarkets.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sarge18

Feb 17, 2007
Welcome and enjoy your stay! I hope your really hungary since we have other great eats here a well.

1. There are lots of NY Style Pizza places like Rays Pizza New York Pizza Department and Native New Yorker as well.

There's a Native New Yorker in the same shopping plaza(Westgate) as Jobing.com Arena north of on the otherside of Glendale Ave.

2. As a former resident of the NY Metro Area I know how important a good deli sandwich is. There's a Boars Head stand at the arena and these cold cuts are for sale at most Fry's Supermarkets.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the tips. We had Rays last night as well! It was pretty good. We're hoping to hit La Piazza al Forno tomorrow. I don't think Pizzeria Bianco is an option with the short amount of time we have. Anybody have any opinion on Culver's? Is a bacon butter burger as delicious and deadly as it sounds?

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ
Thanks for the tips. We had Rays last night as well! It was pretty good. We're hoping to hit La Piazza al Forno tomorrow. I don't think Pizzeria Bianco is an option with the short amount of time we have. Anybody have any opinion on Culver's? Is a bacon butter burger as delicious and deadly as it sounds?

I love Culvers. I was turned on to them while on a trip to Minnesota a few years back and was quite happy to have them in Phoenix. The burgers are great. If you want to add more decadence to your meal, definitely try the fried cheese curds.

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ

Thee Pitts is really good. I either go there or Lovejoys. Lovejoys is KC BBQ. Different but equally as good.

Alexistheman

Jun 28, 2007
Surrey
Trip to Phoenix

Hey guys, my buddies and I are planning a trip to go to Phoenix during spring break. We have enough planned that we are going to be going there on the 9th and coming home on the 12th. Between those days, we're gonna go to the Canucks game on the 10th. Then most likely the DBacks game on the 11th. However, hows the public transit in the Phoenix area. Also how long will it take to get from Glendale to Tucson(dbacks spring training)? And is there transit that goes there or do we need to cab. Lastly, anything we should go to in the Phoenix area? Thanks for any help.

pyregretzky

Aug 11, 2009
Hey guys, my buddies and I are planning a trip to go to Phoenix during spring break. We have enough planned that we are going to be going there on the 9th and coming home on the 12th. Between those days, we're gonna go to the Canucks game on the 10th. Then most likely the DBacks game on the 11th. However, hows the public transit in the Phoenix area. Also how long will it take to get from Glendale to Tucson(dbacks spring training)? And is there transit that goes there or do we need to cab. Lastly, anything we should go to in the Phoenix area? Thanks for any help.
The public transit here isn't very good but it does exist( http://www.valleymetro.org/ might help you get a better understanding of the system here and if it would work for what you need). The drive from Glendale to Tucson will take between 2 to 3 hours depending on traffic. A cab ride from Glendale to Tucson would be horrifically expensive but you should be able to get a ride on a Greyhound bus( http://www.greyhound.com ). For recommendations as to what to do it is difficult to say because there are a lot of things to do in Phoenix and the metro area; what types of things interest you and your friends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad