OT: Official Arizona Visitors Inquiry Thread (links on start page)

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Find your nearest park and ride, and then take the light rail for downtown museums. Though the light rail option gets less attractive as the temps go up.

You can also get free admission for two for Heard, AZScience Ctr, PHX Art at most local libraries through the "Culture pass" system.

Reactions: Dolemite

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I forgot to ask, but there's this musical instrument museum in Phoenix that I should see. I saw it in a link at MSN.com. The webpage claims the museum is the largest either in America or the world. Being a former cellist, I would like to visit. I forgot to save the link :(, but if anybody remembers what I'm talking about, feel free to reply.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I forgot to ask, but there's this musical instrument museum in Phoenix that I should see. I saw it in a link at MSN.com. The webpage claims the museum is the largest either in America or the world. Being a former cellist, I would like to visit. I forgot to save the link :(, but if anybody remembers what I'm talking about, feel free to reply.

The MIM is indeed incredible. It's up in the Mayo/Kierland area somewhere (56th Street north of Bell, maybe?). A real experience.

Another fun place to go is the Penske Racing Museum.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ

I live about 10 minutes from there and always take guests when they come to visit. It is the world's largest. As a musician, you will not be disappointed. It's on Tatum Blvd, just south of the 101. They also have live music many nights.
https://mim.org/gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9dyciae92wIViwBpCh0EjgRgEAAYASAAEgKP2vD_BwE

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
It's awesome, they had one of Neil Peart's drum kits when I went.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Absolutely do the MIM, it's incredible. Biggest museum of its kind in the world they claim.

Can burn an entire day there and not see everything.

Reactions: RR

Kojootti

Aug 3, 2018
Hey guys! New to this forum but a Coyote fan since '98. I'm from Finland and coming to Phoenix for the first time (Shane Doan's night). This would be my first time in US too, so if you could give me some tips I would appreciate it! Where should I look for accommodation for reasonable price? My top priority are the games and maybe some nightlife (few beers and good food), but I also like to go to Grand Canyon, Monument Valley etc. I figure that car (or motorcycle) rental is a must, so best place might be the airport, right? Could be a culture shock to drive there, hope people will tolerate my granny style :)

I noticed there are lots of links in first page, but are they outdated? Thanks already!

Edit: Actually I went thru the whole thread and got the answers.

Last edited:

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I noticed there are lots of links in first page, but are they outdated? Thanks already!

For a first visit, I would recommend a vacation rental somewhat central to the areas you plan to visit. It's always nice to have a center of operations.

Kojootti

Aug 3, 2018
For a first visit, I would recommend a vacation rental somewhat central to the areas you plan to visit. It's always nice to have a center of operations.

Thank you, I will check them out! Okay, one more question: I like walking around, so how are the footpaths in Phoenix? Let's say I have a vacation rental five miles from Gila River Arena (sorry can't be more specific), but is it necessary or easier to go by car? Oh and do I need cash a lot or can one manage with credit card all the way? I know these questions might sound bit dumb..

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Thank you, I will check them out! Okay, one more question: I like walking around, so how are the footpaths in Phoenix? Let's say I have a vacation rental five miles from Gila River Arena (sorry can't be more specific), but is it necessary or easier to go by car? Oh and do I need cash a lot or can one manage with credit card all the way? I know these questions might sound bit dumb..

You'll be fine with a credit card, assuming it's a major credit card like Visa/Mastercard etc.

You'd be able to walk that far, the sidewalks usually go along all major streets. I wouldn't really want to though ;)
IMO an Uber or Lyft would be a better option.
But if you're used to walking those kinds of distances you could do it.

It really is a driving town though. If you wanna go to other areas of the valley particularly.

Reactions: Kojootti

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I like walking around, so how are the footpaths in Phoenix?

^Yeah, Phoenix isn't really what you would call much of a 'walkable' city, of the type you might be used to in Europe. Plus the public transport here, esp. where you'll be staying is effectively non-existent. You can shuttle back and forth along the spine of our one lone light rail line, which isn't too bad, but that's a pretty small percentage of what you might want to see around here.

Kojootti

Aug 3, 2018
Thank you for your answers, appreciate it! It seems that the car is the 'ultimate solution', so I better save my legs for those nearby mountains :) Distances are huge anyways..

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Hey guys! New to this forum but a Coyote fan since '98. I'm from Finland and coming to Phoenix for the first time (Shane Doan's night). This would be my first time in US too, so if you could give me some tips I would appreciate it! Where should I look for accommodation for reasonable price? My top priority are the games and maybe some nightlife (few beers and good food), but I also like to go to Grand Canyon, Monument Valley etc. I figure that car (or motorcycle) rental is a must, so best place might be the airport, right? Could be a culture shock to drive there, hope people will tolerate my granny style :)

Rent a car with no limit on mileage.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Anyone out there willing to volunteer to make a new thread like this one? (OP with links and such, nothing too fancy)
This thread is a little crusty now.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Anyone out there willing to volunteer to make a new thread like this one? (OP with links and such, nothing too fancy)
This thread is a little crusty now.

Already been working on updating the original OP offline but it got sidelined. Will jump back on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad