OT: Official Arizona Visitors Inquiry Thread (links on start page)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Hi,
Just finishing up my trip with a few days in Sedona. I'm going to be driving from Sedona to the Phoenix airport on Tuesday morning. Google maps tells me it'll take 2 hrs, but I'm not sure how much traffic slowdown I should budget for. What do you guys think? I need to get to the airport sometime between 11:30 and noon.

Thanks!

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Hi,
Just finishing up my trip with a few days in Sedona. I'm going to be driving from Sedona to the Phoenix airport on Tuesday morning. Google maps tells me it'll take 2 hrs, but I'm not sure how much traffic slowdown I should budget for. What do you guys think? I need to get to the airport sometime between 11:30 and noon.

Thanks!

Unless there's an unusual for a Tuesday wreck coming "down the hill" (which would really hose things), you shouldn't have much of a delay on the inbound 17 that late. Earlier than 9am from Anthem to central Phoenix might be an issue but shouldn't be one after 10 surely.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Soooo, hows the fishing in and around Phoenix?

There are certainly lakes to go to reasonably close to Phoenix.
I'm not really a fisherman though so my takes might not be super useful but I'll offer them anyway:.
I also have no frame of reference for other areas.

Saguaro lake is reasonably close and probably the one I'd consider first because it's a little more sleepy. It's a better location scenery wise and there are fewer people zipping around on jet boats/skis and the like.

Lake Pleasant is basically a big muddy puddle so it ain't much to look at it but fishing there is sometimes bountiful. Stripers for days. I've also completely struck out there too so :dunno:. It is pretty big though. If it's a weekend day in spring/summer it will be busy.

Bartlett Lake can also be busy but nicer to look at than Pleasant. I've only fished there once but it has a reputation for being highly populated.

All 3 are about an hour to an hour and 45 minutes away from downtown. I've had my best catches with live bait.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Hey guys! Coming down again this year when the Wild play in AZ. It was a great time last year!

I'm a big beer guy, curious what you guys' favorite breweries are in the Phoenix area? We'll be staying in SE Phoenix, so Tempe/Mesa/Gilbert/Chandler area preferably, but not averse to traveling a bit if there is something in the "can't miss" tier.

Last year we went to San Tan and Four Peaks, both were very good!

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Hey guys! Coming down again this year when the Wild play in AZ. It was a great time last year!

I'm a big beer guy, curious what you guys' favorite breweries are in the Phoenix area? We'll be staying in SE Phoenix, so Tempe/Mesa/Gilbert/Chandler area preferably, but not averse to traveling a bit if there is something in the "can't miss" tier.

Last year we went to San Tan and Four Peaks, both were very good!

Try Arizona Wilderness Brewing Co., right at the point where Mesa, Gilbert, and Chandler's boundaries all meet. Arizona Ave/Guadalupe.

Reactions: gphr513

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Thanks, we'll check it out! That's one that stuck out to me after a quick Google, looks to have great reviews.
As DOM mentioned, AZ Wilderness probably the best in the SE Valley. Beer Research Institute is decent also.

Reactions: gphr513

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
most random question to be asked on this board probably... but did any posters here see the phoenix lights first hand? this topic randomly popped into my head and I was like " man I don't know any from phoeni...wait a second"

Reactions: _Del_ and CC96

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
most random question to be asked on this board probably... but did any posters here see the phoenix lights first hand? this topic randomly popped into my head and I was like " man I don't know any from phoeni...wait a second"

My brother’s ex girlfriend told me she saw them in her front yard when she was a little girl.

Reactions: Burrowsaurus

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

No, but I have seen military aircraft dropping flares...same thing. :nod:

Dexter Sinister

Sep 26, 2015
Idahizzle
Hey guys, my wife and I (and our 6 year old) are currently living in Idaho. We're looking to relocate to AZ. (Yes, I'm a Kings fan, I grew up in the LA area, don't hate me). I was hoping someone could give us some recommendations for nice/good/safe areas to live. A good school for my son is important, as is being somewhat close to watch the Yotes and Cards.

On a side note, while I am a fan of USC, I grew up cheering for ASU because I was a huge Jake Plummer fan. Was stoked that the Cards drafted him and became a Cards fan due to that. Was happy he chose to retire instead of playing for the Broncos!

Anyway, if anyone could offer up any suggestions, we'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Hey guys, my wife and I (and our 6 year old) are currently living in Idaho. We're looking to relocate to AZ. (Yes, I'm a Kings fan, I grew up in the LA area, don't hate me). I was hoping someone could give us some recommendations for nice/good/safe areas to live. A good school for my son is important, as is being somewhat close to watch the Yotes and Cards.

On a side note, while I am a fan of USC, I grew up cheering for ASU because I was a huge Jake Plummer fan. Was stoked that the Cards drafted him and became a Cards fan due to that. Was happy he chose to retire instead of playing for the Broncos!

Thanks!

You'll probably get some bias because of the "east valley" vs. "west valley" split (personally I'm an east sider). I know little of the west valley, but I can tell you that pretty much all of Tempe and Chandler is a good place to raise a family. Tempe is where ASU is located, and it's not too far from downtown Phoenix and old town Scottsdale, where a lot of the "fun events" (I made that term up) are. It's also not too terribly far from Glendale where Gila River Arena is, though you have to cross through downtown Phoenix to get there (aka a giant pain in the ass if you're headed there for a weekday evening event). Scottsdale itself would be decent too, but would be more expensive. Eastern Mesa, Gilbert, and Queen Creek are also nice places for families, but are far away from pretty much everything.

Places to avoid:

Western Mesa (pretty run-down area despite Mesa's attempts to revitalize it)
Guadalupe (nope nope NOPE)
Lower midtown Phoenix (I moved here once and within two weeks there was a murder in my neighborhood)

Hope this points you in the right direction. Our freeway system isn't the best in the world, but living within a few miles of one is probably a good idea. Living close to where you work will save you a lot of time too. Driving wherever you want to go should also be a priority, because our public transportation system sucks exponentially more powerfully than a vacuum cleaner.

Reactions: Dexter Sinister

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

Thanks!

How much you are looking to spend on housing will have an impact on what neighborhoods are affordable.

Close to the Yotes and Cards means west side or Central Phoenix, but with the new South Mountain Freeway going in it opens up areas South of the city. All depends on what you consider "close".

Here's a good website where you can look at school ratings and crime stats. https://www.bestplaces.net/

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Hope this points you in the right direction. Our freeway system isn't the best in the world, but living within a few miles of one is probably a good idea. Living close to where you work will save you a lot of time too. Driving wherever you want to go should also be a priority, because our public transportation system sucks exponentially more powerfully than a vacuum cleaner.

Definitely shoot for somewhere close to where you will be working since we (fans) don't really know where the next arena will be located (or even if there will be a "next" arena). Of course, I wager if the team does get a new one, it will be in the S/SE area, but I'm an out-of-stater.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Thanks!

Generally speaking, you want to look at the outer edges of the Metro area. If you're interested in good schools and being close to the Cardinals, then I'd suggest North Peoria (in fact, I'm selling my house there in a month or so, so DM me if you are curious. I'm moving about 10 minutes north into a smaller home now that my kids are in college.). It's about 10 minutes north of University of Phoenix Stadium and Gila River Arena, is close to a mountain of good retail and shopping, and the schools are as good as any in the Valley (both public and charter).

Be advised that there is a lot of suburban sprawl in the Valley and there is no real way to shortcut it, so finding a place that's relatively close to your employer is very important. As mentioned above, we have a pretty good freeway system but we also have a ton of idiot drivers who have never heard of zipper merges, so it doesn't take much for the freeways to get clogged.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->