Official Arizona State Sun Devils Hockey Discussion

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If there's already a dedicated thread, I somehow missed it and apologize for the duplicate.

ASU's hockey program is in the middle of some pretty exciting times. They have a new arena coming, and they've amazingly improved their program so much in such a short while, that they are hanging right in with some top D1 programs.

So far this season they've tied Michigan St. once, defeated Wisconsin twice, and Notre Dame once. They're facing Penn State and Ohio State next. To me, this is remarkable. I can't believe ASU has become this credible this quickly. A few years back they were a club team. Then they were doing a mixed D1 schedule. Only a few years ago I was amazed when they managed not to get blown out by the types of programs they're actually beating today.

I'm not an ASU alumni and I don't really care about any of the other ASU athletics programs. But I think even U of A graduates who are hockey fans should be supporting this ASU program. Really an amazing local underdog story.

I'm excited that Craig Morgan has been providing a ton of coverage for the ASU team. There seem to be more an more televised games, too, I've already been able to catch a Notre Dame and a Wisconsin game this season.

I am hoping we have some posters on this forum that follow the team closely. I'd love to see some real discussion around here about this program. I'm ready to become a full-blown fan of this team.

Who's with me?!?!?!

Last edited:

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
I have been following this program since back in their Club days. I have had numerous close friends of mine play for the ASU club program and I myself am an ASU graduate (Class of '13).

I try to catch as many games as I can now and continue to follow them.

What Powers has done in the last couple of years with regards to this program is remarkable.

The Wisconsin and Notre Dame series were played without their captain Johnny Walker. I also think the second game against Notre Dame that they dropped, they easily could've held on for a win there.

This is a legit competitive D1 hockey program. Depth on the wing is very strong and they are seeing a breakout season from true freshman Matthew Kopperud (6-5-11 in 8 games). Although he is a true freshman he is 21 y/o. There is also Sean Dhooghe who was a highly regarded transfer from Wisconsin who has been quite unlucky this season and has not recorded his first point yet. Those who watch the games can see there have been a plethora of chances for him and it is a matter of time before he starts contributing.

Main pain point with this team has been the Power Play. I believe the last I saw was that they were 1 for 28 so far this season. Obviously if they want to compete for a shot at the Big 10 title this year that number has to drastically increase.

Overall the direction of this program is astonishing and something hockey fans in AZ should be proud of.

Go Devils

Reactions: Tom Polakis

rt

May 13, 2004
I have been following this program since back in their Club days. I have had numerous close friends of mine play for the ASU club program and I myself am an ASU graduate (Class of '13).

I try to catch as many games as I can now and continue to follow them.

What Powers has done in the last couple of years with regards to this program is remarkable.

The Wisconsin and Notre Dame series were played without their captain Johnny Walker. I also think the second game against Notre Dame that they dropped, they easily could've held on for a win there.

This is a legit competitive D1 hockey program. Depth on the wing is very strong and they are seeing a breakout season from true freshman Matthew Kopperud (6-5-11 in 8 games). Although he is a true freshman he is 21 y/o. There is also Sean Dhooghe who was a highly regarded transfer from Wisconsin who has been quite unlucky this season and has not recorded his first point yet. Those who watch the games can see there have been a plethora of chances for him and it is a matter of time before he starts contributing.

Main pain point with this team has been the Power Play. I believe the last I saw was that they were 1 for 28 so far this season. Obviously if they want to compete for a shot at the Big 10 title this year that number has to drastically increase.

Overall the direction of this program is astonishing and something hockey fans in AZ should be proud of.

Go Devils
Do you know why they don't have anything on the schedule beyond the next four games against Penn State and Ohio State? Also, do you know the best way to catch games on tv? I have my Cox DVR set to record anything "live" for ASU Men's Hockey but I'm not sure I can rely on that. I know there are some cable packages that can be purchased for fans of certain college teams. I wonder how ASU's being "Independent" factors into that, though.

Any thoughts on scheduling and catching more televised games?

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
Do you know why they don't have anything on the schedule beyond the next four games against Penn State and Ohio State? Also, do you know the best way to catch games on tv? I have my Cox DVR set to record anything "live" for ASU Men's Hockey but I'm not sure I can rely on that. I know there are some cable packages that can be purchased for fans of certain college teams. I wonder how ASU's being "Independent" factors into that, though.

Any thoughts on scheduling and catching more televised games?
I am not sure why they are slowly releasing their schedule. I do know that they are are playing a 28 game regular season where they will play all seven Big10 hockey schools four times each.

My guess is they are slowly releasing the schedule due to Covid precautions.

As for the TV schedule, I would assume when the games are announced the TV availability would also be included. I do know that some have been televised on the Big10 Network as well.

Reactions: Tom Polakis

rt

May 13, 2004
That’s awesome. Their last game was on NBCSN, which I have. I also have FSNAZ and the Big10 Network. So hopefully I’ll be able to watch a good amount of their games on TV.

Reactions: AZhockey1991

rt

May 13, 2004
I am not sure why they are slowly releasing their schedule. I do know that they are are playing a 28 game regular season where they will play all seven Big10 hockey schools four times each.

My guess is they are slowly releasing the schedule due to Covid precautions.

As for the TV schedule, I would assume when the games are announced the TV availability would also be included. I do know that some have been televised on the Big10 Network as well.
Any player insights? Like scouting reports on specific players or lines? Things to look for?

Tom Polakis

Eternal Optimist
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Yeah, nice to see Morgan covering ASU's program with such depth. His story from yesterday was a great read. I can't wait for that arena to get built a couple miles from my house.

Thanks for starting this thread, rt! I don't have anything to add, but I'll be lurking.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
Any player insights? Like scouting reports on specific players or lines? Things to look for?
I have not spent enough time watching to have a good scouting report on anyone.

Who to watch on the roster would be the following:

1. Demetrios Koumontzis: 2018 4th round pick to the Flames. Strong on the puck. Hustle type player. I could see him projecting to a bottom 6 winger in the NHL. I also believe Koumontzis is a product of the Jr. Coyotes.

2. Ryan O’Reilly: 2018 4th round pick to the Red Wings. Center if I am not mistaken. More of a playmaker. Big frame (6’3”) and drives the front of the net very well.

3. Cole Brady: 2019 5th round pick to the Devils. Large frame goaltender (6’5”). True freshman currently splitting time and holding up alright. Currently with a .906 save percentage. Much hype around him as the next #1 for the Devils.

Last edited:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
6qQ2qzA.png

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
If there's already a dedicated thread, I somehow missed it and apologize for the duplicate.

Well I'd been using the stickied generic AZ Sports thread this past week to post ASU stuff, but most y'all didn't bother to even look. :P

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I would follow them(watch their live streams), when I was living out in Arizona. But now that I'm in Texas, haven't been following as much. But really incredible job they have done. And kudos to the college hockey community in general. Plenty of top teams when we first went D1 were very willing to come to AZ and play. We might have got our butt kicked, surprised some people and played well, but I feel like playing the top competition like that(the tournament we held was a nice addition), really was able to help recruiting. "Hey, we might not be in a conference currently, but we are still able to play the top competition in college hockey so your skills won't go unnoticed". Helps that you can wear shorts pretty much all the time, easy sell there.

Really interested to see what happens once they do get their arena built, which conference they might join and how that impacts their non-conference schedule.

ASU sports in general have taken a good turn. Hurley has one of the better recruiting classes in a long while this year, and Herm Edwards, although 0-2 and a lot of games missed this season, they were looking to be better this year as well. Daniels is a great QB, just unfortunate the way the sports scene has gone this year because of Covid.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Blew a three goal lead today against Penn State to lose in OT 5-4.

Record is 3-6-1 on this road tour through the Big 10. Ohio State next.

Their PP is something like 2-Infinity right now. And y’all thought the Yotes PP was horrible. :sarcasm:

rt

May 13, 2004
Blew a three goal lead today against Penn State to lose in OT 5-4.

Record is 3-6-1 on this road tour through the Big 10. Ohio State next.

Their PP is something like 2-Infinity right now. And y’all thought the Yotes PP was horrible. :sarcasm:
I’m still mentally in a place where I think it’s cool that they were up on teams like Notre Dame and Penn State in order to blow those big leads. Just the fact that they HAD big leads against programs like that is awesome to me.

Reactions: AZhockey1991

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
Came back from down 0-3 to take the lead 4-3 on Ohio State. Game ended in a 4-4 tie.

Johnny Walker is still out of the lineup. I think the expectation is to have him back following to 2 week break that starts after the game today.

All in all this stretch was successful IMO. I think it was a 36 day road trip? Playing in one of the more competitive conferences in College Hockey top to bottom. Every game on the road and a majority without your Captain, who also happens to be the defending leading scorer in College Hockey.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
ASU beats Ohio State 3-2.

End up 4-6-2 on this Big 10 trip.
Impressive to see this team play so hard at the end of this insane road trip. Come back from 3 down to tie 4-4 and then follow that up with an impressive 3-2 win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->