Official Apple Thread (Apple iPhone Event) II

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
How is that legal though, I would think that they would need to let you know that their updates were purposely slowing down your product which duped millions that do buy Apple phones, ino buying new ones or whatever.

I would think anyone that is affected by it, which is basically in that article anything made after Iphone 8 at this point (iPhone 7 Plus is also affected, what in the blue ****?). They damn well better offer better batteries to people using the damn phones. Because I left Samsung for ****ty service after the Note 7 debacle, now Iphone and this horse ****?

I wonder if Google Pixel 2 XL is the way to go.

It's definitely not legal, especially because it doesn't look they can even say "hey, it was in the update notes all along you just didn't bother to look." They actually slowed phones down and didn't tell people. I would imagine it was a closely guarded secret at Apple as well.

The excuse is complete bs given Apple is saying the batteries become defective over time. The logical response would be to admit the batteries only last 2-3 years, and that users should replace their battery or upgrade. It's not just anecdotal that people have upgraded because their phones have slowed down. Apple is going to be crucified, and rightfully so, over this.

Multiple class actions already filed in the US.

Reactions: tacogeoff

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
I wonder if Google Pixel 2 XL is the way to go.

Google has it's issues. Hell most companies do but nothing as shady as this . At least now they admit it but it took a class action lawsuit for them to do it.

Had a discussion about it with one of my buddy yesterday who is an Apple fan. Told me "Yeah but Samsung is no better with their exploding Note 7". The thing is those are completely different situation. Samsung never intended for the Note 7 to act like a mini nuke and it cost them millions of dollars with the recall , replacements etc. Apple is throttling the older phones intentionally. Not the same thing at all.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
At least people know now and they aren't going to rush to buy the new one as soon as their phone slows down a bit (ok most people will) but now more people may just pay the $180 or whatever it is to replace the battery and get another couple of years of life out of the phone rather than buy a brand new one for close to $1000.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Google has it's issues. Hell most companies do but nothing as shady as this . At least now they admit it but it took a class action lawsuit for them to do it.

Had a discussion about it with one of my buddy yesterday who is an Apple fan. Told me "Yeah but Samsung is no better with their exploding Note 7". The thing is those are completely different situation. Samsung never intended for the Note 7 to act like a mini nuke and it cost them millions of dollars with the recall , replacements etc. Apple is throttling the older phones intentionally. Not the same thing at all.
I had a note 7. I left Samsung because they wouldn't Honor their discount berause they were out of stock.

But now I don't know. Is apple going to change this? I feel like they won't. They'll just disclaim it first now and still do that same crap like they do with the repairs that aren't official apple parts which was stupid too.

Not even sure where to go, I just want a good device with good memory on it. This is a 7+ with 256gb. The most any phone offers is 128gb with pixel 2 xl and they have so many issues too with hardware. Samsung had theirs too.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's definitely not legal, especially because it doesn't look they can even say "hey, it was in the update notes all along you just didn't bother to look." They actually slowed phones down and didn't tell people. I would imagine it was a closely guarded secret at Apple as well.

The excuse is complete bs given Apple is saying the batteries become defective over time. The logical response would be to admit the batteries only last 2-3 years, and that users should replace their battery or upgrade. It's not just anecdotal that people have upgraded because their phones have slowed down. Apple is going to be crucified, and rightfully so, over this.

Multiple class actions already filed in the US.

Good. They deserve it. I'm just trying to figure out which brand to go with now.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
At least people know now and they aren't going to rush to buy the new one as soon as their phone slows down a bit (ok most people will) but now more people may just pay the $180 or whatever it is to replace the battery and get another couple of years of life out of the phone rather than buy a brand new one for close to $1000.

Does replacing the battery stop the impact of the Apple update that changes how the phone operates? I guess what I'm saying is would that even matter if the phone has the new update.

I read a little more about this and I think it's being blown a little out of proportion. It seems to be more related to multitasking and stopping power peaks. Any iPhone user here that had one over two years experienced it shutting down at like 20 and 30%.
To address that, Apple's iOS software, starting with last year's iOS 10.2.1, incorporated better power management capabilities, the company says. The operating system slows down your device to prevent it from shutting down, Apple says, but only in cases of cold temperature, a low battery charge or very old batteries.
Instead of your processor completing a task immediately, it will spread that out over more attempts to help manage the power consumption.

You may be wondering why we can't simply get better batteries. So do consumer electronics companies, which have thrown millions of dollars at the problem, with very little to show for it. An advanced battery startup in California, Envia Systems, a few years ago did some research and found that it took more than a decade, from 1995 to 2007, to double the energy stored in a battery -- and since then it hasn't even risen by 30 percent.

Here's why Apple says it's slowing down older iPhones

I guess this update had not been applied to my 7 and it was just the mess that was OS11 that was the problem. I think it's good that this is out there and there is a class action. It will force Apple to be more transparent about their updates. I don't think their was malice like most people are immediately going to, more like a decision to prolong such devices that has seemed to backfire. Still, it absolutely should have been in the update notes. I will never again update to the new OS such as 12 when that comes out with my existing phone.

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

No, the class actions were submitted after the news story broke. I believe a 3rd party or some research firm was looking in to phone performance over time. Google, Samsung and Apple get sued pretty much every other day. I believe Apple is involved in a patent lawsuit right now with someone that claims to own the concept of a phone.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Does replacing the battery stop the impact of the Apple update that changes how the phone operates? I guess what I'm saying is would that even matter if the phone has the new update.

I read a little more about this and I think it's being blown a little out of proportion. It seems to be more related to multitasking and stopping power peaks. Any iPhone user here that had one over two years experienced it shutting down at like 20 and 30%.

Here's why Apple says it's slowing down older iPhones

I guess this update had not been applied to my 7 and it was just the mess that was OS11 that was the problem. I think it's good that this is out there and there is a class action. It will force Apple to be more transparent about their updates. I don't think their was malice like most people are immediately going to, more like a decision to prolong such devices that has seemed to backfire. Still, it absolutely should have been in the update notes. I will never again update to the new OS such as 12 when that comes out with my existing phone.

My 6S Plus has been having weird things happen with the battery. It drops massive amounts (20+ %) in 0-5 minutes sometimes, and it died the other night, and when I plugged it in, it was at 32%.

I was looking at a new battery anyway though since my battery life has been getting too short, and upgrading isn’t really an option since I can’t live without a headphone jack.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
No, the class actions were submitted after the news story broke. I believe a 3rd party or some research firm was looking in to phone performance over time. Google, Samsung and Apple get sued pretty much every other day. I believe Apple is involved in a patent lawsuit right now with someone that claims to own the concept of a phone.
My 6S Plus has been having weird things happen with the battery. It drops massive amounts (20+ %) in 0-5 minutes sometimes, and it died the other night, and when I plugged it in, it was at 32%.

I was looking at a new battery anyway though since my battery life has been getting too short, and upgrading isn’t really an option since I can’t live without a headphone jack.

The battery issue you are describing happened to any phone after about a year to 16 months I had. Apple replaced a battery for me once. What they need is just to make it easier and more cost effective to replace the battery.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
And the rationalization begins. People's loyalty to a faceless corporation never ceases to amaze me.

With some of the excuses I've heard you'd think every brand of phone had problems shutting off at 30% charge.

That's if you even accept that's the reason they did it or even they first time they've done it.

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
And the rationalization begins. People's loyalty to a faceless corporation never ceases to amaze me.

With some of the excuses I've heard you'd think every brand of phone had problems shutting off at 30% charge.

That's if you even accept that's the reason they did it or even they first time they've done it.

It's definitely an Apple issue, every single iPhone I've ever had experienced heavy battery degradation after 1.5 years, and probably 800 charge cycles. But Apple does estimate battery life to be as such. And the symptom definitely is that "jump" from 40% to 15%, instead of just lower overall battery life. Easier to diagnose, but far more frustrating.

I've never had these issues with Android batteries because I'd replace/rotate removable batteries.

Still, good to know that Apple charges "only" $99 for a replacement. I'd definitely want more widespread proof that my 6 Plus, for example, would speed up to where it was before iOS updates, before I'd be okay with this.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Never rationalized by anyone although facts and people's experiences have been posted. How do we know or not know what other updates are designed to do regarding this feature. Of course you don't add anything to a discussion, just prefer to label posters in to a category and make sure you made the right decision by not going with Apple. Great job, please go pat yourself on the back.

The thing I would like to know from a tech person and not a fanboy is, is this a good decision from Apple with older batteries. I saw the initial story on CNN and it felt like a headliner grabber more than anything at the time. Positioned like they did it on purpose to push new phones and that seems silly.

Let's not pretend like Apple is the only phone company with battery issues after 1 year and even before. The S7 had notorious issues with overheating and draining batteries. I had several friends attempt to get theirs replaced.

Samsung Galaxy S7 Battery draining super fast. - Page 4 - Samsung Community - 117423

Last edited:

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
most batteries will start degrading after 2 years.

you can easily get cheaper battery replacements outside of apple, it wont matter as much cuz your warranty should be done by then (even after apple care)

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
most batteries will start degrading after 2 years.

you can easily get cheaper battery replacements outside of apple, it wont matter as much cuz your warranty should be done by then (even after apple care)

Exactly, it's the nature of the batteries smartphones use. The issue isn't that, it's that Apple never disclosed they were throttling their older phones. The significance of which cannot be understated.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Or throttle the phones to get the customer to upgrade and resell the battery swapped phone as refurbished at near full price. Make more money.

Your tinfoil hat must be uncomfortable. Not everyone can or is on a plan to upgrade every year, slowing down a phone just to encourage upgrades is a horrible strategy and would ultimately cost you customers but I doubt you even read past the sensational headline.

My opinion on everything I read is Apple knows a degraded battery cannot power the phone adequately resulting in random shut downs, ect... all the issues previously posted. Per the article I previously posted battery tech is not keeping pace. Every year people want faster phones, bigger screens, new chips.... new tech but the batteries don't much better. The end result is stuff like this, Note's burning up and S7's having serious power management issues after 6 - 10 months. If this was their solution ..... so be it. Unless you can provide proof the motives are vastly different and evil.

Last phone I kept for two years had serious battery and performance issues near the end but I'm a heavy user. None of this should be confused with OS11 which was a disaster for pretty much everything other than the X.

So I don't think they are as guilty of the update to fix or hide the issues so much as selling phones that are have a very limited life in terms of performance on the original battery. Hence the class action asking for free batteries.

Good article from the Verge on this..

Was it really necessary for Apple to slow down old iPhones?

What I hope happens is a two year warranty on batteries or some type of easy replacement system.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Your tinfoil hat must be uncomfortable.
That sounds familiar. I wonder where I heard that before.
8a8.gif

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Has Apple released an official statement on this? I know they're saying it's to help battery life, but to me, the silence is deafening.

And apparently, X sales haven't been as good as first thought. News outlets are seeing production slowed and stocks have fallen.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Has Apple released an official statement on this? I know they're saying it's to help battery life, but to me, the silence is deafening.

And apparently, X sales haven't been as good as first thought. News outlets are seeing production slowed and stocks have fallen.

The statement that was released was a response to the update first rolled out with 10.2 and now recently to change the battery operating in certain circumstances. That was it so far.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I have had a 6 + since Fall 2014 and thankfully haven't had any noticeable battery issues. As a rule though I've always been tentative to download software updates until I see people's reactions. I'm still on 10.3.3 and see no reason to update, except for a few emojis appearing as question marks in text messages. Looks like I dodged a particularly annoying bullet with this last update too.

Apple should've told every iPhone user what they were doing, very shady to just do it and not tell us what's going on and why. With that said, batteries are the limiting factor here. They're a tricky bit of technology to improve on and it's hard for them to keep up with all of the other improvements in your phone so I do kinda, sorta understand what they were going for, but it's crooked of them not to tell people.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Apple should have been transparent from the beginning and at least make it clear that the issue would have been remedied with a battery replacement rather than needing to buy an entirely new phone.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I just came back to iPhone after years with Android, and this news really has no effect on my purchasing decisions in the future. It's more of a good news thing for Apple haters more than anything else. So Apple does this? Ok, well I'm still not going to go back to Android where it's a lagfest after only a few months and only getting updates at a glacial pace.

If Android didn't suck so badly, this news would mean more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad