Official Apple Thread - 9/12 - GDT iPhone & friends Release

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Former Android users who recently switched to iPhone, what do you miss about Android?

I'm happy with my S8, and I've been with Android since 2012, but I've been thinking about switching back to iPhone one day.

Why am I considering it?

- Better support, Apple stores available pretty much everywhere.

- Privacy and security.

- Better update policy : timing and long term support. Sure, Samsung has improved in that regard, and it already has features that stock Android will implement later, but we're halfway through July and I'm still on June security patch. The S8 will eventually get 9.0 but after that, support will be dropped, which is a bit infuriating when you pay a lot $$$ for a phone.

- Better optimized apps.

- All apps feel native, and that's a big plus if you use social media apps as they use the native camera API. It's not like that Android because of the fragmentation.

- the recent models that allow instant and seamless pairing with BT headphones. As someone who uses BT earphones at the gym, it seems super convenient.

- optional : ecosystem. I might buy a MacBook Air but I'm not sure yet.

But man, I would miss :

- Customization

- Notification LED

- ringtones and notification systems : if you had Zedge on Android you know what I'm talking about; it might sound trivial and childish, but the large selection of sounds makes it easier for me when to know who's calling or texting me when the phone is accross the room and if I should pick up the call right now or not.
For example my best friend has always been a huge Spiderman fan, so when he calls the Spidey theme rings and I know it's him.

Plus, it's just one press to install/ assign and it's free.

- File access

- Ability to download torrents and MP3s directly on the phone

- Split screen multitasking.

- some Samsung specific features, like the Edge panel, theme engine or rejecting a call with a saved SMS template.

One thing that's really infuriating with Apple is that they don't include Airpods or the fast charger in the box.
My S8 came with its fast charger.

What about you guys?

Last edited:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Pretty sure iOS is going to get a dedicated file system in the near future as Apple tries pushing iPad as a legit laptop replacement.

I had both. Honestly, aside from setting my own default apps, I miss nothing. I thought I’d miss the customization but I really don’t. Apple’s support, privacy and performance just trumps anything I may have possibly missed from android.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
I switched from Galaxies to my iPhone because it always seemed the apps on my Galaxy were way laggier than my wife’s iPhone. I guess not just the apps but everything. I’ve had my same iPhone 6S for 2.5 years and it’s just as fast as the day I took it out of the box. It’s just smoother. I also feel much more secure on my iPhone than I did on my Galaxy. And that trumps every other feature an android can offer IMO. I did enjoy the android experience and being able to personalize it, but that is about it.

Reactions: Power Man

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Every time I open my iPad, I can't but think how the home screen and notifications are still shit though; between Nova Launcher and the design of the OS, I feel like Android does a better job actually giving me information, whereas iOS just has it's notification center and badges.

Apps have more polish in iOS, and I'm still considering an iPhone next (it's almost pathetic how much I value a decent camera), but the home screen felt old even back in my 4S days, but coming from webOS, everything does.

Reactions: Power Man
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Former Android users who recently switched to iPhone, what do you miss about Android?

What about you guys?

Currently have an iPhone 7, but used the Note series from Samsung before I switched. One of the reasons I switched was it seemed like the phone would lag as the years (and updates) went on.

The displays on Samsung devices just look so much brighter and vibrant than the iPhone. I just the quick toggle settings were at the top of the device, but that is just me.

The only thing I've been annoyed with, (and this is my second iPhone with it) is the Location Service issue with my iPhone. I have gone there a few times, and they had to give me a new device even after I factory reset it and everything. Not even sure if its a Network issue per se, or if its the actual phone.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Thanks for your input guys

As for the notifications, iOS 12 will bring back grouped notifications

I've seen your posts for awhile, and as a total guess (based on past posts), you seem to love the Android customization the most (which I'm sure is way better than Apple).

Personally, I've never used Android much, so I'm not the best source, but IMO...

Privacy and security and better update policy : timing and long term support >>>>>> Customization

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
It wouldn't take much for Apple to add more customization or themes to their own aps. Text and email themes - is it that difficult??

It looks like their new phone will basically just be the X but calling it something else. I'm sure the camera and chip will have slight upgrades but the cost although predictions are slightly lower - still up there.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Kuo: Apple planning 11″ iPad Pro, Mac mini update, 1.57″ & 1.78″ Apple Watch, AirPower for fall

Some seriously juicy Apple rumors.

New watches (I'm guessing that they stick with the standard 38mm and 42mm and just make the watch screen fuller). New Mac Mini. New 11" iPad. Maybe new lower cost laptop.

obrazek-JPEG.jpeg

Here’s a rendering of current size Watch with bezel-free displays. Matches the size descriptions in the rumor.

If they do that, plus make it thinner, day one purchase for me.

An 11” bezel-free iPad would be amazing too.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
obrazek-JPEG.jpeg

Here’s a rendering of current size Watch with bezel-free displays. Matches the size descriptions in the rumor.

If they do that, plus make it thinner, day one purchase for me.

An 11” bezel-free iPad would be amazing too.

Agreed on the watch, completely disagree on the iPad. A bezel-free iPad would suck to me. You need a bezel to hold it. Otherwise you’re covering the screen. It’s not like a phone where you can just palm it.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Agreed on the watch, completely disagree on the iPad. A bezel-free iPad would suck to me. You need a bezel to hold it. Otherwise you’re covering the screen. It’s not like a phone where you can just palm it.

I expect something like this:

iPad-Pro-2018.jpg

I think that would be really ideal for notetaking.

Reactions: CPTN71

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I expect something like this:

iPad-Pro-2018.jpg

I think that would be really ideal for notetaking.

That render doesn't look bad, and the chin is past due to go, and like HG mentioned, you do need something to grip when holding it (chances are it would be in a case anyhow, but bezels would also help impacts too).

iOS (at least on the iPad is getting to the point, I can just swipe for the most part, although when I tried to use my dad's iPhone 7 a couple weeks ago, the home button threw me off, even though it should be the same as ,u iPad...although I don't think he's updated it, it had badge icons in the settings icon, he's only question was how to get rid of it :laugh:).

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Every time I open my iPad, I can't but think how the home screen and notifications are still **** though; between Nova Launcher and the design of the OS, I feel like Android does a better job actually giving me information, whereas iOS just has it's notification center and badges.

Apps have more polish in iOS, and I'm still considering an iPhone next (it's almost pathetic how much I value a decent camera), but the home screen felt old even back in my 4S days, but coming from webOS, everything does.
Are you using iOS 12 on your iPad?

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Are you using iOS 12 on your iPad?

11. I haven't had the issues that people had with that version (came loaded), but I also don't want to run beta test SW. I'll let other people be guinea pigs. I have no doubt that iOS is getting more Android-like in some areas, just like Google lifts ideas from everyone, but that it's taking both companies this long to add some patently simple tweaks.

Could be actual patents, Google finally added a web client for their SMS client a month or so ago. (it's some sort of VNC esque thing, but better than nothing).

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
11. I haven't had the issues that people had with that version (came loaded), but I also don't want to run beta test SW. I'll let other people be guinea pigs. I have no doubt that iOS is getting more Android-like in some areas, just like Google lifts ideas from everyone, but that it's taking both companies this long to add some patently simple tweaks.

Could be actual patents, Google finally added a web client for their SMS client a month or so ago. (it's some sort of VNC esque thing, but better than nothing).

Honestly, I would recommend you join the public beta. It's nearly perfect. It vastly outperforms 11 in every aspect. Even in beta form. My 9.7" iPad Pro had slowed down with iOS 11 but is as zippy (if not more so) than the day I bought it after moving it over to 12.

The performance is a MASSIVE step up (again, even in beta form!).

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I've got an SSD arriving tomorrow, going to install it in an MBP (non-retina) I bought on ebay.

Question: Can I use Superduper to clone the HD to the SSD (installed in a USB enclosure), and then just install the SSD in the computer, and boot no problems? After that, I plan on installing the HD in the USB enclosure, and using it for Time Machine backups.

Laptop itself is fine, definitely happier with 16 GB RAM instead of the 4 it came with, but in the end, I don't feel a huge difference between the Kabylake CPU in my laptop vs the Ivy Bridge in the Mac, don't know if that's a testament to how computers have largely stagnated, save some tasks. Also upgraded to 10.13 FWIW.

Digging some of the trackpad gestures, and tinkering around, but I don't exactly what I'm going to do with it. I put Office 2016 and Lightroom 5 on it, but I have those on my Windows boxes too. Maybe I'll just swap between them, depending on the mood I'm in.

Finder is taking some getting used to, I never cared for it on my old Macs, and I'm still indifferent to it so far.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Any update on a new ipad pro? Dropped my mini one too many times and it's pretty shattered. Want to get a ipad pro but heard a new one may be released in a month or two??

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Any update on a new ipad pro? Dropped my mini one too many times and it's pretty shattered. Want to get a ipad pro but heard a new one may be released in a month or two??
Fall release is usually iPhone only.
Spring release is usually for iPad.
Now that I’ve said that, someone will quickly correct me and give the info you need
Cheers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->