Official Apple Thread - 9/12 - GDT iPhone & friends Release

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I meant to say Android phones priced at $400, and I still stand by that. The new SE has a good brain, and it’ll be supported for at least five years, but its display is woeful. If that rings your bell, no problem. But phones have advanced mightily in the last five years.
I've had my fair share of super OLED AMOLED displays , I would have rather have a solid LCD panel phone with amazing performance and ong term support and the other way around

People said the XR display was crap because it's not LCD - and yes side by side next to an OLED it doesn't look as good - but my bro has the XR and it looks very good tbh

Apple's screen calibration is really amazing

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Thanks I'll look into it

Now the real question is which controlers I prefer? Genesis or SNES

Haha! This reminds me, I once won a Genesis from a 7-11 contest, but sold it because I thought the three button controller was crap. But really I probably sold it to buy more SNES games. No one could afford to collect for two systems back in the day.

Reactions: Power Man

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Haha! This reminds me, I once won a Genesis from a 7-11 contest, but sold it because I thought the three button controller was crap. But really I probably sold it to buy more SNES games. No one could afford to collect for two systems back in the day.

I love the 6 buttons version and the Saturn controller, those controllers have an incredible d-pad.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Costco is selling the iPhone XS for $849 in Canada. Basically last year’s 11Pro. Killer deal.
Decent deal but have the X so I'm fine

My battery health is at 86%, gonna wait until post Covid to get it replaced i store by Apple
I got the iPad Pro around January but before that my iPhone was my main media consumption device which explains that battery health lol

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
was looking at macbooks air and pros. browsing/movie watching picture editing. ,so far i have an apple watch,ipad air 2 and iphone 11 pro. used to have a x but sold it. before i wasn't really a fan of the macbook airs. the mouse pad was just too much for me. but my friends use it and i tried it after awhile got used to it. i haven't used a laptop in such a long time. last one was an acer laptop.. but its broken down. too slow. i have a desktop but i don't like sitting on the chair for too long. something to use while laying down. is it worth it. maybe 2017 2018 models? suggestions?

Last edited:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Yeah, I’d look into a good Surface tablet. MacBooks have taken a beating in reliability and quality control these past few years.
thought about those as well. either surface pro 3 or surface 7 but reading mixed reviews on it. somewebsites you cannot even scroll down

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
thought about those as well. either surface pro 3 or surface 7 but reading mixed reviews on it. somewebsites you cannot even scroll down

Perhaps with the Edge browser. Chrome seems to work a-ok. You always have your choice of apps with Windows 10, which is pretty mature by now. I'd spend half an hour at a store demo to see if the feel of one suits you, even if it's just to eliminate it as an option.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Hey folks. Relatively new to iPhone after being with Android for multiple cycles. I have a 11 Pro Max and I’m having issues with my phone not being recognized by ANY PC.

Personal and work PCs have no response at all when I plug my phone into them with USB, but both respond to my work phone, which is also an iPhone, but it’s an XR, is picked up immediately. I also cannot charge the phone by taking a USB to lightning cable and plugging it into a USB charging port or a usb charging brick. I’ve looked all through the settings and I don’t see anything in there that would stand out as an issue.

I’m thinking I might need to take it in to the carrier to see about a repair or some diagnostics, but figured I’d give it a try here first and see if maybe I’m just missing something

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Hey folks. Relatively new to iPhone after being with Android for multiple cycles. I have a 11 Pro Max and I’m having issues with my phone not being recognized by ANY PC.

Personal and work PCs have no response at all when I plug my phone into them with USB, but both respond to my work phone, which is also an iPhone, but it’s an XR, is picked up immediately. I also cannot charge the phone by taking a USB to lightning cable and plugging it into a USB charging port or a usb charging brick. I’ve looked all through the settings and I don’t see anything in there that would stand out as an issue.

I’m thinking I might need to take it in to the carrier to see about a repair or some diagnostics, but figured I’d give it a try here first and see if maybe I’m just missing something

I bet there is something wrong with the lighting port but not sure. Take it to Apple if you are able to.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

Sounds like your lightning port has failed. Have you tried cleaning it out with a toothpick or pin? Often a small amount of lint can cover the contacts and keep them from connecting. I have to clean mine a few times a year.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Sounds like your lightning port has failed. Have you tried cleaning it out with a toothpick or pin? Often a small amount of lint can cover the contacts and keep them from connecting. I have to clean mine a few times a year.
I haven't because I can still charge using the USB-C Lightning cable provided. Just not with a USB to Lightning cable. I'm gonna swing it into AT&T and have them take a look. Seems like there's something off to me.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
was looking at macbooks air and pros. browsing/movie watching picture editing. ,so far i have an apple watch,ipad air 2 and iphone 11 pro. used to have a x but sold it. before i wasn't really a fan of the macbook airs. the mouse pad was just too much for me. but my friends use it and i tried it after awhile got used to it. i haven't used a laptop in such a long time. last one was an acer laptop.. but its broken down. too slow. i have a desktop but i don't like sitting on the chair for too long. something to use while laying down. is it worth it. maybe 2017 2018 models? suggestions?

If you can find a 2017 for under $800 CAD, it might be worth it. Stay away from the 2018 and 2019 Air models. You definitely don't need a Pro. If you're a Chrome user, maybe look at Chromebooks if you're just consuming media for the most part (yes I know this is the Apple thread but I used an Asus Chromebook Flip for 3 years and loved it). Another option, keeping in mind you have a desktop PC, would be looking at the iPad or iPad Air and get a keyboard case. Check out Logitech or Brydge if you don't want to pay Apple prices.

Reactions: David71

member 51464

Any must-see shows on Apple TV?

Last edited by a moderator:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I recently bought my first ever iPhone. The SE.

Hopefully it is a good time. I do wish I could still use adblock+ on firefox on it, but oh well.

Any must-have apps to check out? And any must-see shows on Apple TV? It is kind of nice to get a year free of Apple TV and 3 months of Apple Music with it.

I watched the Servant and Defending Jacob. Both are okay..

On another note I was finding it difficult to see my Pro 11 in sunlight at max brightness for a while. I come to find out there are so many different display settings now after 13. The reduce white point setting in accessibility options was maxed, maybe after I switched to Dark Mode. Anyways, adjusting this setting will fix that and you can toggle it on and off by setting it up in control center. Mine is good at 50% now.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
WWDC was today I guess?

iOS 14 has a bunch of “catch up to iPad and Android” features like video in window on iPhone.

Nested message conversations
Group message icon updates
And drum roll...

... ACTUAL WIDGETS. About bloody well time.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Finally :

- Automatic device switch when using Airpods
- Minimized call UI

I don’t care about the widgets update it’s fine to me on the left screen tbh

Yeah, the iPhone really doesn’t have the screen size and resolution to make use of home screen widgets like Android does. TBH I prefer the left screen widgets as well. But it’ll be fun to play with.

I guess they previewed Watch OS 7 as well. I have some catching up to do.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Yeah, the iPhone really doesn’t have the screen size and resolution to make use of home screen widgets like Android does. TBH I prefer the left screen widgets as well. But it’ll be fun to play with.

I guess they previewed Watch OS 7 as well. I have some catching up to do.
yip overall I’m happy

I know Android had some of those features before, but Apple refines and executes them better, a very well thought of implementation

Edit : the smart stack widget is really cool

Last edited:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
The best feature they introduced is the App Clips, IMO. Basically allows you to use functionality of certain areas of apps you don’t even have installed.

example: walk into a McDonalds, scan their code on my phone. Suddenly the menu section pop up with an Apple Pay button. Instead of waiting in line or at one of their kiosks you can just do it right from your phone without having to install the app.

Any must-see shows on Apple TV?

Defending Jacob was good. For All Mankind was a standout show to me, thought it was really great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad