Official Apple Thread - 9/12 - GDT iPhone & friends Release

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Does anyone have wifi issues with there iPhones? Mine always seems to disconnect then I have to go and manually reconnect it.
Best way to fix that is to go into settings and then Wi-Fi and then “forget” the network and sign back into it again.

That’s a giant iOS bug that creeps up from time to time. Thankfully it’s not a hardware issue.

Reactions: gopinator09

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Does anyone have any recommendation for a good charging cable?

I'll use my phone in my bed while it charges, and it always seems to cause the cord not to work within 6 months. Last purchase was a more protected wire from Best Buy and I still ran into the problem of it not working after a while.

I'd prefer a longer cord, too.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Does anyone have any recommendation for a good charging cable?

I'll use my phone in my bed while it charges, and it always seems to cause the cord not to work within 6 months. Last purchase was a more protected wire from Best Buy and I still ran into the problem of it not working after a while.

I'd prefer a longer cord, too.
Anker cables, on Amazon. They have different lengths and cable strengths.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Finally upgraded my SE to a Samsung S10e, as I could no longer justify the price of a similarly specced iPhone. So far it's been a nice transition but already I'm noticing the android background battery drain. Will miss the SE for sure, it was an amazing phone. But this Samsung is pretty great too.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Finally upgraded my SE to a Samsung S10e, as I could no longer justify the price of a similarly specced iPhone. So far it's been a nice transition but already I'm noticing the android background battery drain. Will miss the SE for sure, it was an amazing phone. But this Samsung is pretty great too.
The S10e is probably the best value phone out there now, especially with the S20 series starting at $1000 US. I’m hoping to score a Note 10+ when they go on clearance.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
The S10e is probably the best value phone out there now, especially with the S20 series starting at $1000 US. I’m hoping to score a Note 10+ when they go on clearance.

I'm loving it overall, it's basically the flagship minus the telephoto camera and a cut down battery. My hands are baby sized so this is literally the biggest phone I can handle. No complaints, except maybe the camera stabilisation seems a bit weak.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
New iPhone SE with small form factor but flagship specs at $399

Power move by Apple

Now watch future Android phone prices going down

Sweet deal, but after looking at the design, I'm still happy with my S10e purchase and I'm glad I didn't hold out for this one. I've got my hands around the larger screen and the fingerprint scanner on the side is fantastic. I'm a bit disappointed I didn't wait just a little longer for the price drop, but on the other hand, this phone has been a godsend under quarantine for a month.

Having said that, I miss a few things from iPhone. Firstly oddly enough is WhatsApp and how it manages media. On Android you have to activate downloads for all media and then manually delete what you don't want out of your gallery app. My friends and family share so much crap, so I much prefer opting to download the photos and videos I want individually.

Second is Apple music. Spotify is better on both but my Apple subscription runs until November so I'm stuck with the even worse Android version of the app.

And lastly, just how more tightly tuned iOS feels for things like battery and storage management. However it's so nice to be using an Android with my PC again.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Sweet deal, but after looking at the design, I'm still happy with my S10e purchase and I'm glad I didn't hold out for this one. I've got my hands around the larger screen and the fingerprint scanner on the side is fantastic. I'm a bit disappointed I didn't wait just a little longer for the price drop, but on the other hand, this phone has been a godsend under quarantine for a month.

Having said that, I miss a few things from iPhone. Firstly oddly enough is WhatsApp and how it manages media. On Android you have to activate downloads for all media and then manually delete what you don't want out of your gallery app. My friends and family share so much crap, so I much prefer opting to download the photos and videos I want individually.

Second is Apple music. Spotify is better on both but my Apple subscription runs until November so I'm stuck with the even worse Android version of the app.

And lastly, just how more tightly tuned iOS feels for things like battery and storage management. However it's so nice to be using an Android with my PC again.
I started off with the earlier iphones 3G then the 4

then fell on love with Android , customization, flexibility, file management (easy to download music/movies or transfer with laptop - iTunes is utter shit on Windows)

Had HTC One S, Galaxy S4, S5, S6 and S8
Gave the S8 to my dad and got a good desl on the iPhone X

I now prefer iPhone to Android

Later I got a S3 Nike Edition watch, Airpod 1st gen and got an amazing deal on 2018 iPad Pro
The ecosystem is real and iMessage is nice

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I’ve had the iPhone X for 2.5 years now and have had the urge to go back to Android to play classic games. Decided to just replace the battery in my phone, keep it for another few years, and buy a GPD XD Plus. But I really wish there was a device that could boot both operating systems.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I’ve had the iPhone X for 2.5 years now and have had the urge to go back to Android to play classic games. Decided to just replace the battery in my phone, keep it for another few years, and buy a GPD XD Plus. But I really wish there was a device that could boot both operating systems.
I'm totally into retro gaming right now ; the only games I prefer modern consoles for are sport simulations

I have no patience for FPS or modern action/adventure games lol so I might get a Genesis Mini or something like that

I had some emulation games on my Androids (SNES, Genesis, NES) but thouch screen controls suck for those games

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I'm totally into retro gaming right now ; the only games I prefer modern consoles for are sport simulations

I have no patience for FPS or modern action/adventure games lol so I might get a Genesis Mini or something like that

I had some emulation games on my Androids (SNES, Genesis, NES) but thouch screen controls suck for those games
Yeah, I watch other people play newer games, and there’s always some sort of obnoxious grinding, whether for XP, or weapons which constantly break and require crafting and repairs, and I long for the old school.

Touch screen gaming is just terrible, and the idea of using a phone and controller and a clip is just too bulky, even for emulators.

The other issue with phone gaming, emulators aside, is that the game you buy is only playable as long as your device is supported. That bugs me.

The SNES mini is the best mini system, if you’re looking to get one. It can take all sorts of emulators and games, and the controllers are spot on.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Yeah, I watch other people play newer games, and there’s always some sort of obnoxious grinding, whether for XP, or weapons which constantly break and require crafting and repairs, and I long for the old school.

Touch screen gaming is just terrible, and the idea of using a phone and controller and a clip is just too bulky, even for emulators.

The other issue with phone gaming, emulators aside, is that the game you buy is only playable as long as your device is supported. That bugs me.

The SNES mini is the best mini system, if you’re looking to get one. It can take all sorts of emulators and games, and the controllers are spot on.
Not to mention modern games have all those buttons combos so when I switch from Assassins Creed to let'S say aBatman game I have to re-learn the controls; it's a chore really, same with FPS; I'm not having fun anymore, which is what games are supposed to be

I might end up getting the SNES Mini, I'm not partial to Sega or Nintendo as both are great, but I think I'll get the Genesis Mini first ; Shinbi 3, Streets of Rage, ThunderForce 3, Golden Axe are pretty sweet games

I wish it had Super Monaco GP and Super Hang On (Winning Run soundtrack is one of my all time faves)

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Not to mention modern games have all those buttons combos so when I switch from Assassins Creed to let'S say aBatman game I have to re-learn the controls; it's a chore really, same with FPS; I'm not having fun anymore, which is what games are supposed to be

I might end up getting the SNES Mini, I'm not partial to Sega or Nintendo as both are great, but I think I'll get the Genesis Mini first ; Shinbi 3, Streets of Rage, ThunderForce 3, Golden Axe are pretty sweet games

I wish it had Super Monaco GP and Super Hang On (Winning Run soundtrack is one of my all time faves)
I grew up a Nintendo fan, but am looking forward to getting into Sega’s big Genesis hits too. My first favorite arcade game was Wonder Boy but I never owned a SEGA console until the Dreamcast.

The SNES Mini can handle all the Genesis games if you mod it, but a true SEGA fan would definitely opt for the nostalgia and the correct controller on the Mini Genesis, lol. I’m a little choked that the Switch Genesis collection doesn’t have any Wonder Boy games in it, but that’s a separate gripe.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
New iPhone SE with small form factor but flagship specs at $399

Power move by Apple

Now watch future Android phone prices going down

I think Samsung has a lot of mid-range devices coming down the pipe. I mean, this SE is basically an iPhone 6 with the brain of an iPhone 11. It’s an Apple phone for people who need a phone for core functions but not much more. It really can’t compete with any android phone priced over $400.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I think Samsung has a lot of mid-range devices coming down the pipe. I mean, this SE is basically an iPhone 6 with the brain of an iPhone 11. It’s an Apple phone for people who need a phone for core functions but not much more. It really can’t compete with any android phone priced over $400.
It’s much better oversll than any Android phone at that price range

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Why should it compete with phones over $400 when it's $399.00 From what I read it's got a good processor, camera and more. It's worth it if you can go back to the smaller screen - I have the 8 for work and it's not that bad. No Face ID which some people don't like.

For about 35% of the price of the 11, it's a good value.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I grew up a Nintendo fan, but am looking forward to getting into Sega’s big Genesis hits too. My first favorite arcade game was Wonder Boy but I never owned a SEGA console until the Dreamcast.

The SNES Mini can handle all the Genesis games if you mod it, but a true SEGA fan would definitely opt for the nostalgia and the correct controller on the Mini Genesis, lol. I’m a little choked that the Switch Genesis collection doesn’t have any Wonder Boy games in it, but that’s a separate gripe.
Yeah I was thinking about getting the Xbox One Genesis collection - exact same collection as the Switch game - but I prefer the list offered in the Genesis Mini

SNES mini can handle Srga games? Is there some tweaking to do?

I’ve never owned a SNES , my first real consoles were the Genesis and the og Game Boy
Before that I owned the great Amiga 500

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Yeah I was thinking about getting the Xbox One Genesis collection - exact same collection as the Switch game - but I prefer the list offered in the Genesis Mini

SNES mini can handle Srga games? Is there some tweaking to do?

I’ve never owned a SNES , my first real consoles were the Genesis and the og Game Boy
Before that I owned the great Amiga 500

The SNES Mini has a really easy USB hack that’ll let you load emulators and roms. Look up hackchi, I think it’s called.

Reactions: Power Man

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
It’s much better oversll than any Android phone at that price range
I meant to say Android phones priced at $400, and I still stand by that. The new SE has a good brain, and it’ll be supported for at least five years, but its display is woeful. If that rings your bell, no problem. But phones have advanced mightily in the last five years.

Reactions: Power Man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad