Official Apple Thread - 9/12 - GDT iPhone & friends Release

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Battery deal lasts the entire year. I’m going to replace mine in the summer most likely.

Also, if Apple could fix iMessages being out of order that’d be great. What a horrible iOS update this was all-in-all.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

I haven't watched this yet and I probably won't just so I don't get my hopes up for something that won't happen in 2018. Apple reportedly is changing their iOS 12 update to make under the hood improvements in iOS so it's more stable after the botched iOS 11 that has caused many, many problems. There will still be some new features, but not as many as previously rumoured after the change by Apple.

Some of the rumoured changes included a revamped home screen and icon grid, improvements and updates to native apps, multitasking improvements, CarPlay revamp, etc.

according to bloomberg the changes is also a change in policy that will allow the iOS team to push back features if it's not ready in time.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
iOS 11 bugs are so common that one somehow made it through the final edit and into Apple's latest ad for Face ID.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Question for those with an Apple Watch.

When I travel from Canada to the United States with my iPhone 8 Plus I turn off cellular data and roaming, so I make sure to use Wi-Fi available when checking my email, seeing if I get any texts or using any apps. Now I doubt I would ever get an Apple Watch however I have been seeing a lot of videos on YouTube about it and I have to admit it does intrigue me and part of me has thought what if I ever do get it? Anyway I was wondering once cellular data and roaming is turned off on my iPhone does the watch already know that or do I need to go into the watch settings and turn them off there as well?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Depends on whether you buy a LTE-enabled model or not, I’d guess. Non-LTE wouldn’t require any extra disabling on the watch, LTE-enabled would.
I'm assuming that's for the Series 3 since you can use it to make phone calls if you add the cellular option, where as that's not an option for the Series 2?

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Question for those with an Apple Watch.

When I travel from Canada to the United States with my iPhone 8 Plus I turn off cellular data and roaming, so I make sure to use Wi-Fi available when checking my email, seeing if I get any texts or using any apps. Now I doubt I would ever get an Apple Watch however I have been seeing a lot of videos on YouTube about it and I have to admit it does intrigue me and part of me has thought what if I ever do get it? Anyway I was wondering once cellular data and roaming is turned off on my iPhone does the watch already know that or do I need to go into the watch settings and turn them off there as well?

The default behavior is to mirror settings between the iPhone and Watch.

If you enable airplane mode on either it enables it on the other.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Hopefully it performs as advertised but iOS 12 makes some small, but very necessary upgrades and I like what I’m reading.

With it being available on ALL devices that support iOS 11, I’m thinking they really spent time on all the bugs and made small additions as the report from a few months ago indicated.

Grouped notifications are back, yay. Group FaceTime too, and dark mode is coming later from what I’ve read.

People on beta are already saying their devices are way quicker and the performance is amazing. That’s a complete 180 from the barrage of bugs that hindered betas for iOS 11.

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Hopefully it performs as advertised but iOS 12 makes some small, but very necessary upgrades and I like what I’m reading.

With it being available on ALL devices that support iOS 11, I’m thinking they really spent time on all the bugs and made small additions as the report from a few months ago indicated.

Grouped notifications are back, yay. Group FaceTime too, and dark mode is coming later from what I’ve read.

People on beta are already saying their devices are way quicker and the performance is amazing. That’s a complete 180 from the barrage of bugs that hindered betas for iOS 11.

Yeah...from what it looks like, it's basically an 11 redo. Great idea. Also claims everything will be about twice as fast.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Battery deal lasts the entire year. I’m going to replace mine in the summer most likely.

Also, if Apple could fix iMessages being out of order that’d be great. What a horrible iOS update this was all-in-all.

So its not just me that this happens with? I'm missing texts because my phone is placing incoming messages above my previous outgoing

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Since this is still in a beta test I assume these problems for iOS 12 will be fixed when it's released for everyone this September, because I'm planning on updating my 8 Plus to it around that time.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I did an early beta test a couple years ago and it totally screwed up my phone. I would never do one, especially this early.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I did an early beta test a couple years ago and it totally screwed up my phone. I would never do one, especially this early.
This, definitely. Not worth the risk on your primary device.

I’ve also stopped with the iterative updates. I stopped at 11.1.1 and don’t have the litany of issues that normal updaters have. I just don’t trust Apple anymore.

I’m also very wary of updating to iOS 12. Lost a lot of apps when I updated to iOS 11. I absolutely CANNOT lose my Buildstore apps.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
So many casual people download the iOS Beta, the one intended for app developers. Why? I have no idea. Is it worth having that many bugs just for a couple extra features that none of your friends do?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
It's not worth it. I did it a few years ago on my phone and it was a mess. Then the kicker was I upgraded to the new phone at launch but my old phone had a newer OS... and it would not load the backup. If you have a 2nd device which they suggest then I guess it would be okay but then you wouldn't be really using it.

Even when I upgraded my 7 with the normal 11 launch it screwed it up. The OS works fine on my X though. This year I will not upgrade my existing device to 12, just wait for the new one.

They also screwed up my watch with the new OS last year. None of what they announced is even that interesting. I can count on one hand how many times I have used the emoji's. How about some better customization Apple??

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
iOS 12 beta is pretty incredible. I've never seen a beta be so damn functional and good. I have a single issue with it (it sometimes reboots after being woken up from a "Do Not Disturb" session). That's it. All the apps work.

It's faster than the actual release version of the current iOS 11.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I've read that the iOS 12 beta is more stable than the current version of iOS 11, so...

that's how bad iOS 11 was, and I'm glad Apple focused on fixing the issues in iOS 12 to the point where the beta is more stable than the current public version of 11.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->