Official Apple Thread - 9/12 - GDT iPhone & friends Release

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Theres nothing to really disagree with what I said.... NFC, Face/Iris scanning, streaming music, LTE, Touch screen, Tablets, Fingerprint scanning... etc. There is almost zero tech in an iphone that was invented by Apple themselves. Apple are NOT innovators. They are masters of marketing.

If you are talking strictly OS I still don't get what your point is. Their OS doesn't do anything most other mobile OS' can do. Yes, they have full control over it which is a perk to some people (not a perk to a lot of people) but that's nothing innovative. Their biggest fault is their OS. Their OS and phones have looked virtually identical for years and years. It's the biggest thing reviewers complain about.

All the phone makers all copy each other. All those things you mentioned weren't invented by one company, yet all the phones incorporate them. So I'm not sure why you're singling out Apple for this. All the companies claim to be innovative and cutting edge, yet they all copy each other. I just read an article that some guy at Samsung saying they didn't copy Apple's Animoji. What a load of BS.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
All the phone makers all copy each other. All those things you mentioned weren't invented by one company, yet all the phones incorporate them. So I'm not sure why you're singling out Apple for this. All the companies claim to be innovative and cutting edge, yet they all copy each other. I just read an article that some guy at Samsung saying they didn't copy Apple's Animoji. What a load of BS.
That's my point. I wasn't saying others didn't copy. What I am saying is their marketing makes it sound like they are great innovators. And they aren't.

I am not knocking the quality of their products or anything. No need to take it so personal. It's just common knowledge to people in the industry that Apple are just masters at marketing. And their stuff is overpriced so people think they are buying something of more quality than it is. Again... marketing.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
That's my point. I wasn't saying others didn't copy. What I am saying is their marketing makes it sound like they are great innovators. And they aren't.

I am not knocking the quality of their products or anything. No need to take it so personal. It's just common knowledge to people in the industry that Apple are just masters at marketing. And their stuff is overpriced so people think they are buying something of more quality than it is. Again... marketing.

Nah...nothing personal taken. Again, going back to the original post I wrote, I just think it's funny that Apple is always being blamed for copying when every single one copies each other.

I saw my first commercial for the S9 last night, and had to chuckle. It was exactly the same as the iPhone X campaign.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Which is silly because they are rarely ever the innovators of the tech that sells their devices. Their marketing is just phenomenal. They get people to believe that some technology in their phone is so amazing even though its been around for years and other companies have been using it for a long time.

Every part of this is wrong. Apple’s marketing isn’t that great, their products are. They have a strong brand reputation because of it. Apple continually comes up with unique ideas, some good and some bad.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Every part of this is wrong. Apple’s marketing isn’t that great, their products are. They have a strong brand reputation because of it. Apple continually comes up with unique ideas, some good and some bad.
The marketing worked on you. :laugh:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
The marketing worked on you. :laugh:

Well, it's "worked" on most of the country for a long time as Apple has obliterated every other phone in terms of sales going back a decade. Marketing alone can't convince most users to come back time and time again.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Well, it's "worked" on most of the country for a long time as Apple has obliterated every other phone in terms of sales going back a decade. Marketing alone can't convince most users to come back time and time again.
That's actually exactly what marketing does.
"obliterated"? Got some numbers?
Did you know there are more Android phones in the world than all other phones in the world put together? There are more than two times more Android users than iOS users in the world.
As far as physical phone brand though iPhones do outsell Samsungs or any other brand if you put them in a silo. It's hardly "obliterating" If you take all Samsung and all Apple phones ONLY in the United States there is about 1.2 Apple phones for every Samsung phone. That's not even close to "obliterate" thats almost 50/50. If you take all smarphones in the United States Apple has about a 40% market share. Worldwide its even worse. Android is A TON more popular worldwide.
And if you want to talk decades there have only been two times from quarterly reports in the past 5 years where Apple phones outsold Android phones. So that means the past 20 quarterly reports Apple has outsold Android a whopping twice.
I think you need to relearn what "obliterate" means.

I will take your refusal to rebut as a concession of the validity of my position.
There was nothing to rebut lol. Everything you said was pure opinion. Lets break this down...

Every part of this is wrong.
- Opinion.
Apple’s marketing isn’t that great, their products are.
Thats exactly what marketing is supposed to do. You say their products are great but why? You give no reason for it. Just opinion. Which means you were convinced by something that they are so great. Even if its personal experience - why do you think they are so great? I can tell you one thing - the technology and physical hardware of their products is no better than what Samsung and a bunch of others are already doing. In fact, Samsung makes the screens of the iPhones. As far as their computers, they have people believe that spending $2,000 on a macbook is worth it because "its Apple." and you can buy a PC with the SAME. EXACT. hardware inside it for half the cost. That is exactly what marketing does. It makes you believe spending more $ on something its somehow better because it costs more. Apple are masters at this
They have a strong brand reputation because of it.
They have a great reputation of being amazing marketers too.
Apple continually comes up with unique ideas, some good and some bad.
Such as what? Give some examples.

Okay I gave you some Ammo now Mike. You got some answers? Anything more than opinion?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
That's actually exactly what marketing does.
"obliterated"? Got some numbers?
Did you know there are more Android phones in the world than all other phones in the world put together? There are more than two times more Android users than iOS users in the world.
As far as physical phone brand though iPhones do outsell Samsungs or any other brand if you put them in a silo. It's hardly "obliterating" If you take all Samsung and all Apple phones ONLY in the United States there is about 1.2 Apple phones for every Samsung phone. That's not even close to "obliterate" thats almost 50/50. If you take all smarphones in the United States Apple has about a 40% market share. Worldwide its even worse. Android is A TON more popular worldwide.
And if you want to talk decades there have only been two times from quarterly reports in the past 5 years where Apple phones outsold Android phones. So that means the past 20 quarterly reports Apple has outsold Android a whopping twice.
I think you need to relearn what "obliterate" means.

Yeah...you're going to need to show your work. Not even close to 50/50. Never has been.

Writen a year ago (just Googled and this was first to pop up):

According to data from Counterpoint’s Monthly Market Pulse, Apple has significantly increased its lead over Samsung in the premium smartphone market ($400+) since the launch of the iPhone 7. Over the summer, Apple was selling just over 50% of the global premium smartphones, and Samsung was selling just under 25%. By December 2016, those numbers had grown to 70% and 17%, respectively.

Apple is destroying Samsung where it really matters

ob·lit·er·ate
[əˈblidəˌrāt]
VERB - destroy utterly

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Thats exactly what marketing is supposed to do. You say their products are great but why? You give no reason for it. Just opinion. Which means you were convinced by something that they are so great. Even if its personal experience - why do you think they are so great? I can tell you one thing - the technology and physical hardware of their products is no better than what Samsung and a bunch of others are already doing. In fact, Samsung makes the screens of the iPhones. As far as their computers, they have people believe that spending $2,000 on a macbook is worth it because "its Apple." and you can buy a PC with the SAME. EXACT. hardware inside it for half the cost. That is exactly what marketing does. It makes you believe spending more $ on something its somehow better because it costs more. Apple are masters at this

Sorry to step on Mike's toes here, but here's a reason why their products are great. In a world where all the phone makers are copying eachother, at least Apple does each thing better. There are reports that the X is better than the yet-to-be released S9:

Samsung’s latest Galaxy S9 beaten in some benchmarks by iPhone 7, in all by iPhone 8 & X

Samsung’s Galaxy S9 face scan trying to keep up with Face ID and failing, say security researchers

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Yeah...you're going to need to show your work. Not even close to 50/50. Never has been.

Writen a year ago (just Googled and this was first to pop up):

According to data from Counterpoint’s Monthly Market Pulse, Apple has significantly increased its lead over Samsung in the premium smartphone market ($400+) since the launch of the iPhone 7. Over the summer, Apple was selling just over 50% of the global premium smartphones, and Samsung was selling just under 25%. By December 2016, those numbers had grown to 70% and 17%, respectively.

Apple is destroying Samsung where it really matters

ob·lit·er·ate
[əˈblidəˌrāt]
VERB - destroy utterly
The fact that you are pledging to a single GIANT corporation is funny to me. It also further proves my point that their marketing is insanely good. I have both an iPhone 8 and Galaxy Note 8. I have an Xbox, a Playstation and a Nintendo. I pledge no allegiance to tech companies the way Apple fanboys do. They all have their pros and cons. What you have posted is "premium" smartphone market where they arbitrarily judge what is considered "premium" and they are still "just over 50%" which is exactly what I said you are comparing JUST Apple and Samsung. This includes ignoring the myriad of other smartphone makers that make what others would consider a "preimum" phone.

All you are doing here is proving my point and further showing me you don't know what the word "obliterate" means.

On a global scale Apple is 2nd to everyone. On a national scale it depends on the year if they are over 50% of the market.

Sorry to step on Mike's toes here, but here's a reason why their products are great. In a world where all the phone makers are copying eachother, at least Apple does each thing better. There are reports that the X is better than the yet-to-be released S9:

Samsung’s latest Galaxy S9 beaten in some benchmarks by iPhone 7, in all by iPhone 8 & X

Samsung’s Galaxy S9 face scan trying to keep up with Face ID and failing, say security researchers

And I have seen sites that say the S8 and S9 are way faster than the iPhone. Your own link says "some" benchmarks. :laugh: Face scanning? Who cares. Fingerprint is faster and has always been faster.

You got anything else besides and face scanning? Hahahahaha!

What I am trying to tell you are the FACTS that Android sells a TON more than iOS and that Apple has healthy competition and doesn't "obliterate" anyone other than the sheep who pledge their allegiance to spend thousands of dollars on their products when they can get the same tech for much cheaper and not be locked down to proprietary software. But keep being a sheep and ignoring facts. :nod:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
smartphone-os-market-share-q2-2016.png

iOS-and-Android-Share-India-and-US.png

comscore-market-share-ios-android-dec-2016.jpg

Global-smartphone-market-share-by-OS-Q2-2014.png

COMPLETE OBLITERATION!!!
Right? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

The actual fact is more and more people are switching to Android because people are realizing iOS's outdated look and performance. They hardly ever bring anything fresh to the market in terms of phone design and OS.

Reactions: tacogeoff

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
The fact that you are pledging to a single GIANT corporation is funny to me. It also further proves my point that their marketing is insanely good. I have both an iPhone 8 and Galaxy Note 8. I have an Xbox, a Playstation and a Nintendo. I pledge no allegiance to tech companies the way Apple fanboys do. They all have their pros and cons. What you have posted is "premium" smartphone market where they arbitrarily judge what is considered "premium" and they are still "just over 50%" which is exactly what I said you are comparing JUST Apple and Samsung. This includes ignoring the myriad of other smartphone makers that make what others would consider a "preimum" phone.

All you are doing here is proving my point and further showing me you don't know what the word "obliterate" means.

On a global scale Apple is 2nd to everyone. On a national scale it depends on the year if they are over 50% of the market.

And I have seen sites that say the S8 and S9 are way faster than the iPhone. Your own link says "some" benchmarks. :laugh: Face scanning? Who cares. Fingerprint is faster and has always been faster.

You got anything else besides and face scanning? Hahahahaha!

What I am trying to tell you are the FACTS that Android sells a TON more than iOS and that Apple has healthy competition and doesn't "obliterate" anyone other than the sheep who pledge their allegiance to spend thousands of dollars on their products when they can get the same tech for much cheaper and not be locked down to proprietary software. But keep being a sheep and ignoring facts. :nod:

Whoa, all the emojis and "haha's" and even bolded CAPS...you're really worked up over this. First off, love that you own one of Apple's newest phones. Guess that marketing worked on you as well. Second, also love that you call the stats I posted "arbitrary" yet you post stats that compares an OS, which is used by multiple phone makers with tons of phones, to an OS that is used by a single company. Third, here's an updated stat (sweet 2014 chart though), in Q1 2018, Apple sold more than 77 million iPhones (same article said they sold 78 million in Q1 2017). The whole point of posting these stats is that you don't sell that many phones for this long if your product isn't great. Good marketing alone doesn't sell over 200 million phones a year.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I own as much new tech I can get. I don't pay loyalty to ONE company like sheep / you do.

I proved you wrong and you are back-tracking now. I don't pledge my $ for any one company like you do. I think I struck a nerve with you. I never said Apple was garbage or anything but you take SERIOUS offense when someone doesn't call them amazing or something. They have lots of faults but they have GREAT marketing. But please, keep paying them thousands of dollars for stuff that's worth a couple hundred. :laugh:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I own as much new tech I can get. I don't pay loyalty to ONE company like sheep / you do.

I proved you wrong and you are back-tracking now. I don't pledge my $ for any one company like you do. I think I struck a nerve with you. I never said Apple was garbage or anything but you take SERIOUS offense when someone doesn't call them amazing or something. They have lots of faults but they have GREAT marketing. But please, keep paying them thousands of dollars for stuff that's worth a couple hundred. :laugh:

All while you actually own a new iPhone. OK.

Alright...we're going to need to move on. Whatever this debate is (not sure what we're even debating, but all the sudden there are pie charts), it doesn't appear it'll be solved here. All the phone companies are rich. Android and Apple. There.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
All while you actually own a new iPhone. OK.

Alright...we're going to need to move on. Whatever this debate is (not sure what we're even debating, but all the sudden there are pie charts), it doesn't appear it'll be solved here. All the phone companies are rich. Android and Apple. There.
Right... I have an iPhone. However, I don't pledge my allegiance ONLY to Apple. I have lots of tech. That's the point. You said Apple "obliterates" the competition. I proved to you that they don't. Others are saying Apple are innovators. They aren't. People who genuinely think that way have absolutely no idea and just believe whatever their TV or friends tell them. Its like going to a Ford dealership and telling them you are thinking about this Chevy you want to buy. They will do everything they can to make Ford sound like the superior brand when you can the same kind of cars at both places, a few different features here and there - sure, but that's where opinion comes in and the Ford guy isn't going to tell you what Chevy does better. All I am saying is if someone really believes Apple are innovators or the tech in their products is superior to ALL other products they should do their own research. They will find that's not the case. Like everything else.

You took a lot of offense to me saying they are masters at marketing and sell a product that I find is overpriced (that's my opinion) and their marketing makes people think they are getting more value because they spend more. I still have some Apple product because I have to have lots of new tech (its kind of my job lol). I call it like I see it - pro's and cons to all. But to blindly say Apple is the best or they make a superior product is purely opinion because factually, they are just on par with many other companies they compete with.

To each their own, just trying to spread some unbiased views.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Read an article that the X will be phased out with the notch and design features being applied to the 9 or 9+ for 2018. I really like the size of my X but i guess the regular should be good enough. Honestly it's the best phone I've ever had. Really no complaints but they need to get the price down.

Apple still needs more customization of the OS, interface.

Reactions: Power Man

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Read an article that the X will be phased out with the notch and design features being applied to the 9 or 9+ for 2018. I really like the size of my X but i guess the regular should be good enough. Honestly it's the best phone I've ever had. Really no complaints but they need to get the price down.

Apple still needs more customization of the OS, interface.

Yeah...Looking like they'll stop production of the X this year and will move to 3 new models. An updated X (5.8 inch), a cheaper 6.1 inch phone, and a massive 6.5 inch premium. That's HUGE.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 5

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Man...

My 6+ used to be great. Then I updated to 11.2.1 or whatever the last big update was...

Phone is a pos now compared to then.

Just so upsetting. Suppose the only fix is trying a new battery or getting a new phone. Should a new battery fix most of these recent performance problems I’ve been having? Phone just feels sooooo sluggish

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Man...

My 6+ used to be great. Then I updated to 11.2.1 or whatever the last big update was...

Phone is a pos now compared to then.

Just so upsetting. Suppose the only fix is trying a new battery or getting a new phone. Should a new battery fix most of these recent performance problems I’ve been having? Phone just feels sooooo sluggish

Yes. Batteries eventually wear out, Apple slows down the phone because of the new OS and degradation, to make the battery last a wee bit longer.

I haven't had any issues with iOS 11, but that's what my iPad came with, the dock and multitasking are decent, but the 1st gen Touch ID sensor is so slow. Good apps, terrible notifications though, coming from Android, I don't understand how people can deal with them.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Yes. Batteries eventually wear out, Apple slows down the phone because of the new OS and degradation, to make the battery last a wee bit longer.

I haven't had any issues with iOS 11, but that's what my iPad came with, the dock and multitasking are decent, but the 1st gen Touch ID sensor is so slow. Good apps, terrible notifications though, coming from Android, I don't understand how people can deal with them.
This particular phone is only like 13 months old :( (I lost my original 6+) and worked like a champ until I did that update. Blows my mind how one iOS update can turn a phone that works outstanding into a total turd.

Guess I’m gonna have to just bite the bullet and drop the 100$ CAD on a battery *shrug*

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Does Apple still have that battery deal? I thought they were cheaper.
I don't know if they still have the battery deal, however according to the Apple website the cost to replace them was $35.

Apple is reducing the price of an out-of-warranty iPhone battery replacement by $64 — from $99 to $35 — for anyone with an iPhone 6 or later whose battery needs to be replaced, available worldwide through December 2018. Details will be provided soon on apple.com/ca.

A Message to Our Customers - Apple (CA)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad