OFFICIAL: Alex Meruelo Becomes Coyotes Majority Owner - Press Conference Thurs. 8/1, 1pm, @GRA

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Yeah, god knows they don’t do it on 98.7...those guys are a joke with their hockey coverage. Hopefully we make a deep run this year and they have no choice but to talk about it because all the other valley teams are such trash. Cardinals will be good but not for a few more years....
Those dudes would cringe having to talk about the Coyotes. But to be fair, I'm sure there are few markets that hockey wouldn't get dominated by football, basketball and baseball on the sports radio stations. The more that I think about it, I actually think they would be excited to talk about a winning team, as we haven't had that in Phoenix in years. Let's hope the Coyotes give them that this season.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I don't think the Coyotes will be worth anywhere near 1 billion or more in three years. Having said that, Meruelo bought the Yotes for a rock bottom price, and he will probably double his ROI in the next ten years. It is a really smart investment for him. He just has to buy a radio station to promote the Yotes.

Jakey needs a new avatar.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Without Phoenix there is no Auston Matthews. I doubt there are many leafs fans complaining about where our team is located.
I know this won't fit the narrative but there really arent many people anywhere that care that Phoenix has an NHL team. A few trolls on the internet don't represent anyone but themselves. The media questioned the legitimacy of the franchise as they should all through the crap years. They do the same in every market that has attendance issues and lack of money. It's kinda their job.

Reactions: Vip

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I know this won't fit the narrative but there really arent many people anywhere that care that Phoenix has an NHL team. A few trolls on the internet don't represent anyone but themselves. The media questioned the legitimacy of the franchise as they should all through the crap years. They do the same in every market that has attendance issues and lack of money. It's kinda their job.
Yes. It’s Canadians on the internet. Not Canadians in general. I agree.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
And any Canadian I know loves having teams in the Southern U.S., it makes for great winter getaways for hockey, Sun, and golf. The internet trolls are the same everywhere, idiots in their Mother's basement spewing hate on a subject that doesn't concern them and they have little knowledge on. The years ago Winnipeg ones were a little different as they had a beef, i think those are gone now.

Reactions: The Zarn

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
Take it from someone who moved to AZ permanently in 2009 and lived in Calgary the first 26 years of his life.

It goes far beyond the internet. Culturally 90% of Hockey fans in Canada don't think we deserve a team and that'll never end. I think it was largely because Winnipeg moved to Phoenix but you'd think that would have stopped when they got the Thrashers.

Honestly though, I do feel it has dropped off a lot with Toronto getting Matthews.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Jakey needs a new avatar.
A little late to the avatar party because I've been busy the last couple days, but if anybody wants a shiny new custom Bettman avatar just let me know! I can change the picture or text to whatever.

izbWN1b.gif

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Next order of business must be to change that diseased doghead (fitting symbol for the old mess) to a kachina head. I want to have some merchandise that I can wear, dangit.

Mangosteen

Yotes Ashtray of the NHL
Apr 9, 2018
Yes but remember that are plenty of old jets / Yotes fans out there too. Its Cheaper to Fly to Phoenix and watch a game then lower bowl tickets to the Flames.

At Flames Vrs Yotes games there are even about 40 Yotes jerseys in the dome as well

Tom Polakis

Eternal Optimist
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I suspect that it's press only, but I'll ask; is the press conference something that any schmuck can view at the arena? Will it be broadcast, or at least archived on the Coyotes' site?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I suspect that it's press only, but I'll ask; is the press conference something that any schmuck can view at the arena? Will it be broadcast, or at least archived on the Coyotes' site?

Definitely press-only, but it will also likely be streamed live and then archived on the Coyotes' site.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
So you have to have Facebook to watch this stream tomorrow? Weak.

Got a browser?? You can get to a Facebook page. Back in the day I perused Twitter for 6 months before ever getting an account just to find BK info. It made things easier after I joined but it wasn’t necessary.

There will probably be a direct link on the Coyotes website to the stream.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Got a browser?? You can get to a Facebook page. Back in the day I perused Twitter for 6 months before ever getting an account just to find BK info. It made things easier after I joined but it wasn’t necessary.

There will probably be a direct link on the Coyotes website to the stream.

Yeah for sure...as long as I don’t have to actually log in to an account then I’m all good. Don’t have one.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Yeah for sure...as long as I don’t have to actually log in to an account then I’m all good. Don’t have one.

When the link is up, someone can post it here and it should auto embed. Usually when it's embedded it won't prompt you for an account.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->