Official: AHL approves Palm Springs, CA as NHL Seattle's AHL team

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
They should have built it in San Bernardino, but I guess they were afraid to be surrounded by poor people, so they rather be surrounded by snowbirds.

San Bernadino is less than 30 minutes away from the Ontario Reign. Where the proposed arena would go in Palm Springs has a travel time of well over an hour to the Toyota Arena on Ontario, and that's without traffic. The Seattle ownership group is able to build an arena to house an AHL and host music performances and other events in Palm Springs, don't try to make them out to be racist or pandering to a certain demography. San Berdo would have been an incredibly foolish location to pick.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
San Bernadino is less than 30 minutes away from the Ontario Reign. Where the proposed arena would go in Palm Springs has a travel time of well over an hour to the Toyota Arena on Ontario, and that's without traffic. The Seattle ownership group is able to build an arena to house an AHL and host music performances and other events in Palm Springs, don't try to make them out to be racist or pandering to a certain demography. San Berdo would have been an incredibly foolish location to pick.

Honestly, income demographics play a bigger role than you think. The Inland Empire (Riverside & San Bernardino) is one of, if not, California's poorest regions, while Palm Springs is one of California's most affluent. They don't want to build the venue somewhere people can't afford to be season ticket holders, especially with fewer home games.

Reactions: uncleben

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Honestly, income demographics play a bigger role than you think. The Inland Empire (Riverside & San Bernardino) is one of, if not, California's poorest regions, while Palm Springs is one of California's most affluent. They don't want to build the venue somewhere people can't afford to be season ticket holders, especially with fewer home games.

Demography plays a role, I'm not denying that. But San Bernadino would have been a horrible location to pick since it's under 30 minutes in heavy traffic to the Ontario Reign's arena, as well as being in the middle of well-established LA Kings territory. They might as well have chosen Long Beach or Santa Ana. You do understand why it's a bad idea to locate a brand new AHL team right next to an established and well-supported AHL team that's affiliated with the very popular local NHL team, right? Especially when that new AHL team is affiliated with a team over a 1,000 miles away?

Location is why the Seattle ownership group chose Palm Springs over Boise. It's far enough out in the desert that it they can draw people while being near enough to the other Pacific Division teams that the travel is great. Location is why Vancouver chooses to keep their prospects on the other side of the country in Utica rather than an hour down the road in Abbotsford. It's why Lehigh Valley is a much better spot for the Flyers than Glenn Falls was, and why St. John's won't get another AHL team again, despite having better demographics than half the league. It's why the AHL added a Pacific Division. Demography didn't influence that move, which is the most defining decision in the history of the league. Demography plays a small role, but location is significantly more important.

Reactions: UticaHockey

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
My aunt and uncle bought a "winter" cottage in Desert Wells. They are in residence from like November until April (with travels around to see their kids and grands and other relatives). They would be ideal folks to be courted to buy tickets.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
My aunt and uncle bought a "winter" cottage in Desert Wells. They are in residence from like November until April (with travels around to see their kids and grands and other relatives). They would be ideal folks to be courted to buy tickets.
AND they own an ideal property for Airbnb rentals - while selling some of their season tix - to road trippin' hockey fans when Auntie & Unc' are away tending to family matters. :handclap:

Reactions: uncleben

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
@JMCx4 they don't need the $$. (They wouldn't let me stay there after they had closed it for the summer. So I really doubt they would even consider renting it out.)

Neill99

Oct 30, 2006
Hi does anyone know if there's any updates on Palm springs Ahl team is it a go?.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Probably would be good idea to have a fresh thread and future AHL Palm Springs new could go here.

WhalerCane

Sep 12, 2018
New Palm Springs Arena Reportedly in the Works
By Zach Spedden on June 24, 2019 in Hockey, Minor League/Juniors, NHL
ahl.jpg

A new Palm Springs arena is reportedly is being discussed, with the venue planned for a Seattle-affiliated AHL squad and concerts.

A Seattle NHL expansion franchise is slated to begin to play in the 2021-22 season, and the organization has been exploring its options for launching a minor-league AHL squad in that same season. Palm Springs and Boise have been reported to top two candidates for the location of the AHL team and a plan is apparently in the works to build a new arena in Palm Springs.
An effort backed by Tim Leiweke and Irving Azoff calls for the construction of a new arena to primarily host minor-league hockey and concerts, with concert promoter Live Nation also reportedly involved in the effort. For now, there are still several unknowns, including the site of the potential arena. More from NBC Palm Springs:

Source: New Palm Springs Arena Reportedly in the Works - Arena Digest

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad