Official: AHL approves Palm Springs as NHL Seattle's AHL team

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Smack dab in the middle of Snowbird Country. This is going to be a home run. Or a hat trick. Or something.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Smack dab in the middle of Snowbird Country. This is going to be a home run. Or a hat trick. Or something.

That's the point of why they went with palm springs and the airpoint that is 5 mins away from the arena has two direct flights lines one to SeaTac the other to Paine Field in Everett

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
I dont understand how any sports team name application can be rejected by the trademark office. There are literally thousands of teams in the USA that share the same name. 1603 teams are called the Eagles in the US. If you asked a million Americans across the country where the Eagles play, 99% would say Philadelphia. Obviously in this case the OHL team came first but this is a regional team of amateurs from Michigan. Palm Springs is on the other side of the country and the AHL is also what could be argued as a regional league. There is no chance that these two teams would be confused for one another. The only time people get confused is when two cities share the same name such as Portland Ore vs Portland Maine.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I dont understand how any sports team name application can be rejected by the trademark office. There are literally thousands of teams in the USA that share the same name. 1603 teams are called the Eagles in the US. If you asked a million Americans across the country where the Eagles play, 99% would say Philadelphia. Obviously in this case the OHL team came first but this is a regional team of amateurs from Michigan. Palm Springs is on the other side of the country and the AHL is also what could be argued as a regional league. There is no chance that these two teams would be confused for one another. The only time people get confused is when two cities share the same name such as Portland Ore vs Portland Maine.
you had everyone up to the last line of your post, ST, there hasn't been a Firebirds franchise since the late 1970s when Syracuse, then Philadelphia had an AHL Team, before the advent of the current Crunch and the Phantoms, now in Allentown, since the closing of the Spectrum there's also no confusion between the two Portlands, since its separate leagues, and different names how different can Winterhawks, Mariners, or Pirates be, since those are the registered trademarks

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Its much easier to confise two cities with the same name than two teams with the same nick name. Nick names are generic.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
no they're not, since when has Firebirds ever been used by any pro franchise, except when referenced historically by the AHL

Who cares. Its an OHL team from Michigan that no one outside of Michigan will ever care about. Thats my point. This is not a multi million dollar franchise with universal brand appeal. The norm for nick names in sports is that they are transferrable.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Who cares. Its an OHL team from Michigan that no one outside of Michigan will ever care about. Thats my point. This is not a multi million dollar franchise with universal brand appeal. The norm for nick names in sports is that they are transferrable.
that's not why they rejected it, it's the Firebirds name, not the city

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
The letter says "similarity of the marks" as a major argument.

I would argue "Palm Springs Firebirds" is easily distinguished from "Flint Firebirds." Not to mention that Vegas Golden Knights passed muster in the face of opposition from University of Central Florida. I think another board posted a mark that looked rather similar to Flint's.

I'm betting the name won't change, but something else needs to change.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The letter says "similarity of the marks" as a major argument.

I would argue "Palm Springs Firebirds" is easily distinguished from "Flint Firebirds." Not to mention that Vegas Golden Knights passed muster in the face of opposition from University of Central Florida. I think another board posted a mark that looked rather similar to Flint's.

I'm betting the name won't change, but something else needs to change.

Football and Hockey two different sports. The issue is with the firebirds name another hockey team in the states also uses the name.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Not afraid of having any issues with the ice?
steela-piscine-pallanuoto.jpg

Reactions: kN3eLb4Z0d

kN3eLb4Z0d

May 27, 2005
@Groo, that gave me a good chuckle lol

In all seriousness, though, I grew up in Palm Springs. Back when I was about 11-12, circa 1982-83, the Palm Desert Town Center mall opened up, and there was an ice rink in there. It was thought of as insane at the time, of course, but it really took off and became incredibly popular. Right up until they removed it lol.. still, I miss those days a lot, and I'm sure plenty of others do too. Hopefully they do well there. We shall see.

Reactions: Groo

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
@Groo, that gave me a good chuckle lol

In all seriousness, though, I grew up in Palm Springs. Back when I was about 11-12, circa 1982-83, the Palm Desert Town Center mall opened up, and there was an ice rink in there. It was thought of as insane at the time, of course, but it really took off and became incredibly popular. Right up until they removed it lol.. still, I miss those days a lot, and I'm sure plenty of others do too. Hopefully they do well there. We shall see.
Thanks for sharing the memory.
I'm happy for the locals down in the desert.

Reactions: kN3eLb4Z0d

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->