Official 8th Baseball ATD Discussion Thread III

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Not saying it's right or wrong, but I feel like there's an overimportance on home runs. I'll adjust to that next time around, but I'd recommend looking at the skills of the lineup as a whole. I get knocking Thome in the field, but it sounds like you're punishing him (and his ilk) at the plate.

If the past 2 or 3 years in baseball have proven anything, it's that you don't have to have 3 mashers in a lineup for it to be effective. And I'd argue that in this format home runs are not a great thing to put all your chips on with the talent on staffs.

Please don't take this as me calling your way of thinking wrong, just opening a discussion. And please forgive any weird typos, I'm on my phone and don't have time to fully flesh out my thoughts.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Bats like Thome/Ortiz/Thomas I'd love to get in the lineup but not if they are forced to put the glove on.

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
Not saying it's right or wrong, but I feel like there's an overimportance on home runs. I'll adjust to that next time around, but I'd recommend looking at the skills of the lineup as a whole. I get knocking Thome in the field, but it sounds like you're punishing him (and his ilk) at the plate.

If the past 2 or 3 years in baseball have proven anything, it's that you don't have to have 3 mashers in a lineup for it to be effective. And I'd argue that in this format home runs are not a great thing to put all your chips on with the talent on staffs.

Please don't take this as me calling your way of thinking wrong, just opening a discussion. And please forgive any weird typos, I'm on my phone and don't have time to fully flesh out my thoughts.

See, I think the opposite. Given the pitching in this draft, I think it would be really difficult to sustain a rally. Home run power is important then, because it means you have a shot of scoring a run on the few mistakes these pitchers will make.

UL Washington

Jun 5, 2008
Question for everyone (hopefully, it doesn't come off as being a sore loser. Just want to collect some info to help with my next go around)- Where did I go wrong with my team?

Obviously I missed on grabbing a rotation anchor, but I felt that I filled out my starters with quality innings eaters. Did I lean too much on Kaneda being a big innings guy out of the pen and spot starter?

I know I lacked the huge power in the middle of the lineup like a lot of the teams, but I felt that I didn't forego power, still had a guys who could launch homers, but I thought I put together one of (if not the most) complete and balanced lineup out there, including guys who could swipe bags and take extra bases.

I guess I kind of played loose and fast with the defensive side of things, but I felt that everyone I fielded was at worst an average defender.

Any input would be welcome. I felt like I was better than a 10th place team (granted I have a bias and all). Just would like to get some feedback, if possible.

I think your team lacked both a true ace pitcher and an elite bat. Trading away your first rounder could have worked but you used your two first picks on similar skill set hitters, with Rickey and Eddie Collins. Both are elite basestealers that can get on base but having two at the top of your lineup when Mickey Mantle was available is a luxury you didn't need. After that you were kind for facing an uphill battle.

Other things I wasn't a fan of were batting Garciaparra in the five hole. He probably shouldn't sniff the top 6 of an ATD. And while I'm OK with Kimbrel and Chapman being drafted, I don't think they have enough experience to be considered among the top 20 closers/set up men. Maybe in a few years, but its too early to put them there now. They are better suited to 6th and 7th inning duties in this format, imo.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Also, I'd like to thank everyone who gave me feedback. It's a bit hard (as a first time participant) to step back and look at my team objectively. I knew I had flaws but I wasn't sure how big they were and you guys helped, so thanks for all that.

I'll be sure to do better next draft.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Also, I'd like to thank everyone who gave me feedback. It's a bit hard (as a first time participant) to step back and look at my team objectively. I knew I had flaws but I wasn't sure how big they were and you guys helped, so thanks for all that.

You'll get better and better as you go on.

Hope i wasn't too harsh in my assessment.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
You'll get better and better as you go on.

Hope i wasn't too harsh in my assessment.

I'd rather have harsh and realistic than sugar-coated. I can't adapt if I don't get a true evaluation (I tell my boss this at every year end review).

As a first time team I built the team for me, not knowing exactly how it all worked. Next year I'll still build it for me, but I now know what most people are looking for and can toss in a different flavour.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

I agree with darko. It started off really good, getting Rickey and Collins. I really like Palmer too.

But then you turned it into an all around lineup with no strength that stood out. What I would have possibly done is maybe continue focusing on speed or pitching. Instead of Chipper, Whitey Ford could have worked to give you a nice compliment to Palmer (lefty, longer career than Joss) or Oscar Charleston to give you more speed, along with power. That way with Pudge, you could have the benefit of saying that you can steal on teams and create runs, but they can't do the same to you.

Don't know, just spit-balling ideas.

Say Hey Kid

No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Voted but all the teams are winners here. It's an odd NCAA tourney. A record number of small programs pulled off upsets in the first round, but they all lost lost in the 2nd round, with some of them giving up big leads in the last 2 minutes, especially UNI.

Last edited:

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
So my league is a little different as instead of batting average, steals, wins, and strikeouts, we use on base, net steals, quality starts, and K/9.

So my question is two fold:

1. What do you think of my team?

C- Grandal
1B- Rizzo
2B- Rendon
SS- Tulowitzki
3B- Arenado
2B/SS- Zobrist
1B/3B- A Gonzalez
OF- Adam Jones
OF- Polanco
OF- Conforto
OF- Josh Harrison
OF- Alex Gordon
UTIL- Trumbo

P- Sale
P- Syndergaard
P- Zimmerman
P- Jaime Garcia
P- Matz
P- Joe Ross
P- Luis Severino
P- Jason Hammel
P- Familia
P- Robertson
P- Hector Rondon

Second question: I've been offered a deal that would see me get Carlos Gomez and Mike Leake for Adam Jones and Steven Matz.

Good deal for me? I feel I could use the steals badly.

UL Washington

Jun 5, 2008
There's no way that lineup is competitive against any of the 20 teams in the ATD. Go back jack, do it again.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Excited_Ron_Swanson.gif~c200

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I'm surprised too! I actually liked this matchup more than my first round opponent. I tried to grab guys with postseason success but I guess it wasn't enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad