Official 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Not against the USHL or NCAA route at all. But for Hughes I don't think it makes sense. Why go back to the USHL for next season? Would make much more sense to just go to the OHL for a year before making the jump to the NHL.
Why do you think it would make more sense ?

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
The college route makes the most sense to me. Hughes would dominate the USHL and the OHL. I don't see him getting any developmental benefit from one or the other. In college he would get to play against big stronger players which would help him be more prepared for the NHL the following year.

Reactions: Tripod and Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Hughes is jumping straight to the NHL. He’s way too good for anything else.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Do you not understand that the OHL is a better level of competition?
It is a little better but is less than College competition they play and has way less practice time which where development takes place . Hockey Canada is trying to change to more practice time vs game time switching to cross ice games etc ... because they see other programs catching and passing them . I go to hockey Manitoba AGM,s and development meetings all the time you should go instead of sticking your head in the sand . You guys are so stuck on the past heck all those Swedish and Finish and USA kids that seem to be getting draft in first round would have just all come to the OHL too . Could you imagine how good Lainie , Dalhin etc would have been if they would have only come and played in the CHL . You guys just don't seem to get it that other programs have caught up and probably never will .

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Comparing Hughes to Laine and Dahlin is apples to oranges. Hughes would have been playing pro hockey last year if he were playing in Europe like those guys. There is no precedent for a USHL/USNTDP kid going straight to the NHL. NONE. Hughes of course is so talented that it probably won't hinder him long-term, but nevertheless there's no track record. The OHL on the other hand...

The American development model is great for 99% of 17 year olds. Hughes is the exception. He's too good to play the same schedule again next year. He was 2 PPG as a 16 year old. How much is he going to get out of being a 2.5-3.0 PPG player at that level this season? It's like an 18 year old basketball player turning down playing his freshman year at college to be a "one and done" and playing another year of prep ball and turning pro in the summer. It's not ideal.

Last edited:

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Comparing Hughes to Laine and Dahlin is apples to oranges. Hughes would have been playing pro hockey last year if he were playing in Europe like those guys. There is no precedent for a USHL/USNTDP kid going straight to the NHL. NONE. Hughes of course is so talented that it probably won't hinder him long-term, but nevertheless there's no track record. The OHL on the other hand...

The American development model is great for 99% of 17 year olds. Hughes is the exception. He's too good to play the same schedule again next year. He was 2 PPG as a 16 year old. How much is he going to get out of being a 2.5-3.0 PPG player at that level this season? It's like an 18 year old basketball player turning down playing his freshman year at college to be a "one and done" and playing another year of prep ball and turning pro in the summer. It's not ideal.
Oh i agree he is too good but then go play in a European pro league less games more practice time same as Mathews . He would come to the OHL and do the same thing putting up gaudy numbers and have way less practice time . I know the BrandonWheat Kings practice schdule and it is fractions of the Fargo Force's practice time . There would be no benefit coming to the OHL vs where he is playing is what i'm trying to say . He is elite no doubt that . Him and his brother Quinn train at BTNL in Missasaga Ontario every summer and i have met him there a few times , this is where they refine there skills . Nylander bros McLeod bros McDavid all trained there growing up

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Oh i agree he is too good but then go play in a European pro league less games more practice time same as Mathews . He would come to the OHL and do the same thing putting up gaudy numbers and have way less practice time . I know the BrandonWheat Kings practice schdule and it is fractions of the Fargo Force's practice time . There would be no benefit coming to the OHL vs where he is playing is what i'm trying to say . He is elite no doubt that . Him and his brother Quinn train at BTNL in Missasaga Ontario every summer and i have met him there a few times , this is where they refine there skills . Nylander bros McLeod bros McDavid all trained there growing up
He’s not 18 until May. Europe isn’t an option. The OHL is the closest league to the NHL for someone in his position.

I think you are overestimating the practice time these kids get. He played 60 games for the Program and 13 internationally last year. They travel a good bit too. He’ll be looking at the same next year with u20s and most likely the World Championships.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
He’s not 18 until May. Europe isn’t an option. The OHL is the closest league to the NHL for someone in his position.

I think you are overestimating the practice time these kids get. He played 60 games for the Program and 13 internationally last year. They travel a good bit too. He’ll be looking at the same next year with u20s and most likely the World Championships.
You fail to realize what i use to do part time . I know exactly what their practice schdule is i know many prospects that have gone there and have talked in debth with them about their experiences there . That program is not for all either but kids they key on like top two lines it " can " be beneficial . They start mid early August and are there till mid May and do not participate in any playoffs either which also allows for more practice time .
Also the WHL is cutting 4 games from there regular schdule next year i think .

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They participate in the USHL playoffs if they qualify. The U17’s go in their place while the U18’s go to the U18 WJC’s. They’ve only qualified three times in nine years though including last year.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You fail to realize what i use to do part time . I know exactly what their practice schdule is i know many prospects that have gone there and have talked in debth with them about their experiences there . That program is not for all either but kids they key on like top two lines it " can " be beneficial . They start mid early August and are there till mid May and do not participate in any playoffs either which also allows for more practice time .
Also the WHL is cutting 4 games from there regular schdule next year i think .
You’re making general statements. Who are we talking about here? Jack Hughes. Even if those kids are getting so much more additional practice time than CHL kids, Jack is not benefiting from it the same way other kids do. He’s so advanced for his age. He’s going to play in the NHL next year. The goal should be to get him as prepared for that as you can. He would probably benefit more from playing more of a pro style schedule and playing against kids closer to the NHL/AHL.

I was pretty against Boqvist playing in the OHL so I’m not one of these CHL>>> guys. It’s a case by case basis. Jack is in a unique situation. I just don’t think shredding the USNTDP slate for another year does him much good.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
If by the time the 2019 draft comes along and we view this as a draft that is important for our franchise, then the 2018-2019 season will have been a complete failure. Im not saying we have to be 31st pick or bust, but I dont want to feel like we have to hit on our picks or it could ruin our future if we didn't.

I want to at least be in a situation like the Leafs last year where since their core was pretty much in place, they were able to just trade down and just pick a guy who could fill out their back end.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
You’re making general statements. Who are we talking about here? Jack Hughes. Even if those kids are getting so much more additional practice time than CHL kids, Jack is not benefiting from it the same way other kids do. He’s so advanced for his age. He’s going to play in the NHL next year. The goal should be to get him as prepared for that as you can. He would probably benefit more from playing more of a pro style schedule and playing against kids closer to the NHL/AHL.

I was pretty against Boqvist playing in the OHL so I’m not one of these CHL>>> guys. It’s a case by case basis. Jack is in a unique situation. I just don’t think shredding the USNTDP slate for another year does him much good.
Hey this is just good debate you present your proposals and reasoning i do mine no right or wrong . I agree he is a unique situation i just don't think one situation vs another one will make any real difference , just getting his bone development and physical structure a year older mature wise as well muscle strength will probably be his biggest gain .

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Huh. What. 2019 already?!

mali-psi-pospani-u-autu.gif
zYAF9AU.gif

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
If by the time the 2019 draft comes along and we view this as a draft that is important for our franchise, then the 2018-2019 season will have been a complete failure. Im not saying we have to be 31st pick or bust, but I dont want to feel like we have to hit on our picks or it could ruin our future if we didn't.

I want to at least be in a situation like the Leafs last year where since their core was pretty much in place, they were able to just trade down and just pick a guy who could fill out their back end.
Every draft is important in the salary cap world. Your example of the leafs perfectly illustrates it. With the Tavares signing their window shrinks unless they draft well. They will have to constantly bring in good cheap players to offset the huge contracts. Good teams will always exploit crap on the roster so the cheap contracts actually have to be decent players to be able to win a cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->