Official 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I'm always eager to say a junior center will be a winger, but I actually think Cozens could stick at center. I also think he'd be a good PWF goal scoring wing with a great playmaking center. I'm sure his offensive ceiling is higher there. But I like his hockey sense and feel for the position at center: gives easy exit availability, solid defensively, moves really well at his size through NZ (or even stop starts in tight), physical in battles (even at the NHL level, when he fills out, he might be one of the tougher below the dots players to contain). I don't think he's much of a finesse player or passer, but his high IQ allows him to execute nice give and go plays or short area passes. He always has a plan.

My thing with Cozens, while most people have him 3-5 (again, this draft might not be the most talented), is that while he provides a lot of super high floor things that will project easily, I'm a little skeptical he has the high end puck skill to be a 1C type. But I have seen improvement this year from last year with his hands, though he's still not exactly a "stickhandle in a phone booth" type. I'd say more a 50-60 point 2C is my realistic hope. But again, wing maybe provides more. Like every non-Jaako Hughkko prospect, he has his pluses and minuses as a quintessential high pick, so he's certainly a possibility like any other. He's not exactly easy for me to comp either. Rosy ceiling.....smaller, more nimble Primeau? Maybe Star Man can chime in.

So Dach carries more risk and reward than Cozens?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
So Dach carries more risk and reward than Cozens?

More risk yes, but I don't know how much more reward there is either. Something I need to figure out. Like Cozens will be a smart beast of a PWF, whatever position. He is still decently skilled with plenty of offensive upside, and he gets every last ounce out of his skill. It's more a critique of this draft than him. And he's raw in certain aspects, so he could keep improving at high rates, as he's done already.

Dach has more puck skill and playmaking ability. He also is a below average mover, unlike Cozens who has a lot of power and movement to his skating game. It projects as plus. Dach is guilty of a lot of gliding and weak strides and upright, stationary play; and he's not anywhere near as good physically. If you take him, you hope he irons it out over time, while still probably not being a good skater and being more a turn his back, slow it down guy. We know how that goes with players usually being written off or being late bloomers. So, maybe he has more puck skill but doesn't have opportunity to use it, and his ceiling becomes another 50-60 point 2C type. But with less certainty and floor.

Welcome to the 2019 draft lol. I still believe Zegras is the 3rd most skilled player, but even he is rather slight (though has some Farabee-type compete) and someone I'd say needs to improve his speed, though his edges and lateral agility are great. High end IQ too. Turcotte will be an interesting 2nd half watch, but he needs to stay healthy and provide an adequate sample.

Last edited:

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
With Hakstol gone he has no reason to post here anymore.

Just like Boxcar with Manning.

Totally makes sense with Boxcar aka Manning's dad or whoever he is.

I really thought his endless prattling and criticism of the star players in general would maintain his wind-bag novel posts.

Not missing him at all though so I'll stop poking the bear while he's hibernating :laugh:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Totally makes sense with Boxcar aka Manning's dad or whoever he is.

I really thought his endless prattling and criticism of the star players in general would maintain his wind-bag novel posts.

Not missing him at all though so I'll stop poking the bear while he's hibernating :laugh:
The thing is, his whining about the star players was all about Hakstol too. He cried about them because he refused to admit they were carrying the team, in spite of Hakstol. Bashing them defended the coach.

Literally every argument he made could be linked back to Hakstol. It was so pathetic and transparent.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So here's something for everyone to think about. If the Flyers end up with the first overall pick, would they consider moving one of Patrick or Frost as part of a package for a top pairing right side defender under the age of 25? Hughes/Giroux/Couturier/Patrick or Frost/Vorobyov/Rubtsov would be ridiculous depth, so someone would need to be moved. Just throwing it out there....

Yes. All options need to be considered at this point.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
The thing is, his whining about the star players was all about Hakstol too. He cried about them because he refused to admit they were carrying the team, in spite of Hakstol. Bashing them defended the coach.

Literally every argument he made could be linked back to Hakstol. It was so pathetic and transparent.

Talk about hitching your wagon to a turd..

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
More risk yes, but I don't know how much more reward there is either. Something I need to figure out. Like Cozens will be a smart beast of a PWF, whatever position. He is still decently skilled with plenty of offensive upside, and he gets every last ounce out of his skill. It's more a critique of this draft than him. And he's raw in certain aspects, so he could keep improving at high rates, as he's done already.

Dach has more puck skill and playmaking ability. He also is a below average mover, unlike Cozens who has a lot of power and movement to his skating game. It projects as plus. Dach is guilty of a lot of gliding and weak strides and upright, stationary play; and he's not anywhere near as good physically. If you take him, you hope he irons it out over time, while still probably not being a good skater and being more a turn his back, slow it down guy. We know how that goes with players usually being written off or being late bloomers. So, maybe he has more puck skill but doesn't have opportunity to use it, and his ceiling becomes another 50-60 point 2C type. But with less certainty and floor.

Welcome to the 2019 draft lol. I still believe Zegras is the 3rd most skilled player, but even he is rather slight (though has some Farabee-type compete) and someone I'd say needs to improve his speed, though his edges and lateral agility are great. High end IQ too. Turcotte will be an interesting 2nd half watch, but he needs to stay healthy and provide an adequate sample.

Sounds like this Draft is ass.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
We have Ghost and Myers as top 4 RD... we don’t need to trade for one.

Having crazy forward depth would be better.

I agree with this. I'd prefer more offensive skill vs more D men and no, I'm not advocating trading a D for one.

Promoting Myers, Morin and giving Friedman a look while launching Farmer into the sun, instantly improves the D.

Reactions: Striiker

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Oh my Lord. Not again. Jeez

Edit: wrong thread. Maybe it will be one of those drafts everyone hates but it produces good talent in the end. I kind of like the smaller guys projected in the mid to late 1st, Caufield and Pelletier.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Sounds like this Draft is ass.

Top 2 is super duper legit. If you judge based on that.....

But otherwise, you're probably going to have a muddled top 10+ with teams picking "their guy." Means you might get a similar player anywhere in there. This is just the usual stuff: pre-season draft is great, then it sucks by mid-season, then some gems move up the boards. It's still early; shit changes. At the moment, there's certainly a plausible lack of truly high end players by #3 even. I would not call the present 1st round a great depth draft. At the same time, there are still very quality players in the top half. OHL is a wasteland though.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

But otherwise, you're probably going to have a muddled top 10+ with teams picking "their guy." Means you might get a similar player anywhere in there. This is just the usual stuff: pre-season draft is great, then it sucks by mid-season, then some gems move up the boards. It's still early; **** changes. At the moment, there's certainly a plausible lack of truly high end players by #3 even. I would not call the present 1st round a great depth draft. At the same time, there are still very quality players in the top half. OHL is a wasteland though.

Thank you sir. Keep us updated as you learn more. You do the work, we profit. Maguapedia.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

But otherwise, you're probably going to have a muddled top 10+ with teams picking "their guy." Means you might get a similar player anywhere in there. This is just the usual stuff: pre-season draft is great, then it sucks by mid-season, then some gems move up the boards. It's still early; **** changes. At the moment, there's certainly a plausible lack of truly high end players by #3 even. I would not call the present 1st round a great depth draft. At the same time, there are still very quality players in the top half. OHL is a wasteland though.
Sounds like last years draft where the top 2 was expected, then all over the place after that as draft day proved.

Reactions: FlyTimmo

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Turcotte was hurt. He’s back now & playing well. The thing that hurts him & Zegras is that Hughes is the guy there who’s going to get the best usage possible. In most normal years those two would likely be the top player on the team.

Even last year when Turcotte moved up to the U18’s he was still behind Hughes & some older players. Zegras & Beecher benefited a lot from their departures with the U17’s.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I'm always eager to say a junior center will be a winger, but I actually think Cozens could stick at center. I also think he'd be a good PWF goal scoring wing with a great playmaking center. I'm sure his offensive ceiling is higher there. But I like his hockey sense and feel for the position at center: gives easy exit availability, solid defensively, moves really well at his size through NZ (or even stop starts in tight), physical in battles (even at the NHL level, when he fills out, he might be one of the tougher below the dots players to contain). I don't think he's much of a finesse player or passer, but his high IQ allows him to execute nice give and go plays or short area passes. He always has a plan.

My thing with Cozens, while most people have him 3-5 (again, this draft might not be the most talented), is that while he provides a lot of super high floor things that will project easily, I'm a little skeptical he has the high end puck skill to be a 1C type. But I have seen improvement this year from last year with his hands, though he's still not exactly a "stickhandle in a phone booth" type. I'd say more a 50-60 point 2C is my realistic hope. But again, wing maybe provides more. Like every non-Jaako Hughkko prospect, he has his pluses and minuses as a quintessential high pick, so he's certainly a possibility like any other. He's not exactly easy for me to comp either. Rosy ceiling.....smaller, more nimble Primeau? Maybe Star Man can chime in.

Feel here is similar, watched another shift by shift on YouTube, too (from Sept). I see a bit of Stone in his game, which is why I think he would be a very good winger. Not sayin he is as good in the dzone, that would be unfair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad