Official 2018-2019 Edmonton Oil Kings thread

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
He was supposed to be really good when they picked him. They've had a string of unsuccessful Belarusian players.
Vlad Alistrov was definitely more hyped of the Belorussians they’ve drafted, and it shows watching them. I’m kind of surprised no teams took a swing on him in the 7th round this year, he’s very skilled and could definitely break out in a big way his second year in North America.

Reactions: Supermassive

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Maybe a 2019-2020 thread should be started?

Kings with two wins to start the year.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Was at the game tonight, Dylan Cozens 4 points, 2 G and 2 A. He beat the Oil Kings 4-2 and the Hurricanes added another.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This year's team doesn't have the flashy names like Lazar or Samuelsson, which is probably why they haven't been getting any attention so far, but they're 12-1-3.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
This year's team doesn't have the flashy names like Lazar or Samuelsson, which is probably why they haven't been getting any attention so far, but they're 12-1-3.
It’s early but there’s a really good chance that Robertson, Guenther and Neighbours are better players than any of the Memorial Cup era players.

Reactions: Peanut Butter

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It’s early but there’s a really good chance that Robertson, Guenther and Neighbours are better players than any of the Memorial Cup era players.

I'm not particularly high on Robertson, but Neighbours looks really good.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta

That's the encouraging thing for me. They're winning with younger, highly skilled players instead of older, bigger but less skilled guys. That bodes well.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
And they won again last night, 4-2.

If they do make it to the Memorial Cup, I hope that that's the first of many hockey highlights from their careers, and not the only one. Pretty sure every major MC contributor from 2014 turned into a bust at the pro level.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah it sounds like he got pissy about losing the starting spot and went home rather than fight to get it back.

Yeah, he either made a really poor personal decision or he got really bad advice from his friends/family/agent.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
In fairness, we don’t know his situation. Maybe he didn’t fit in on a team full of western Canadian boys, maybe he was homesick or frustrated with being unable to nail down the starter’s spot. His chance at being drafted was already gone, and he wasn’t going to be on the team next year. We’ve had guys leave the team before, as a fan I’d prefer if the team just gave him the benefit of the doubt, and not give their opinions to the press. These players are still just kids.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
To those who watch the Oil Kings more than I do, what are your thoughts on Jake Neighbours? Would he be a good pick for us in the 25-31 range?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad