Not open for further replies.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Last edited:

LethalCookie

Mar 23, 2015
Guelph
Lucic hitting FA is good for the flames. There's a decent chance he goes to either Vancouver or Edmonton, which could promt them to pass on Tkachuk/ Dubois in favour of D help.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Peter Chiarelli saying there is "no number 1 defensemen in the draft"

Never change Oilers.

I don't think he's necessarily wrong. This is hardly the best draft for defensemen lately.

Most years there is at least one defenseman that will go top 5 and everyone is pretty confident will be that impact guy. There is no Doughty, Hedman, Jones, etc in this draft.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I don't think he's necessarily wrong. This is hardly the best draft for defensemen lately.

Most years there is at least one defenseman that will go top 5 and everyone is pretty confident will be that impact guy. There is no Doughty, Hedman, Jones, etc in this draft.

After Klefbom, the Oilers don't have anyone even in the tier below. Maybe Nurse one day.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
CftXaN1WsAAosr4.jpg

biggbose

Oct 12, 2015
It's not very likely Flames could trade 3rd place and getting Jesse Puljujärvi so how about picking Eetu Tuulola 2-4 round.
Eetu Tuuloa is 6'3 and 227lbs RW prospect and he fits perfectly to your need for right handed shot forward.

Here's Eetu Tuulola's eliteprospect.com profile
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=123542

And here's Eetu Tuulola U18 WJC highlight video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egWI3evAPvk

I hope we take him with our third

western redmen

the forgotten owskis
Jun 7, 2012
Pre draft scouting of Ekblad was also that he is a safe bet to top out as a number 2, I remember there was a ton of talk about how his ceiling doesn't appear to be that high end elite guy

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It's not very likely Flames could trade 3rd place and getting Jesse Puljujärvi so how about picking Eetu Tuulola 2-4 round.
Eetu Tuuloa is 6'3 and 227lbs RW prospect and he fits perfectly to your need for right handed shot forward.

Here's Eetu Tuulola's eliteprospect.com profile
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=123542

And here's Eetu Tuulola U18 WJC highlight video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egWI3evAPvk

Oh goodness his name would be so fun for bad puns! :D

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah I watched a few Finnish games at the u18 and he stood out. He's big and physical. But he scored some nice goals too.

He could end up being a steal, or thought of as a first round talent.

Re: Borgstrom

I call him the Finnish Jankowski. He's a 6'3 center, extremely skilled and talented and he's a good skater. He's an excellent puck handler and is exciting to watch. He's listed to go anywhere as a late first to the 5th round pick. The knocks on him are he needs to add muscle, and he's inconsistent over stretches. He also tries to be too fancy on occasion. But he's an offensive player and has shown a real good ability to score in bunches. Could be a total steal and he played in a lesser league so he hasn't been scouted as much.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Just listened to the Todd Button interview on the Fan.

Based on that, I think we're taking either Nylander or Chychrun. He called Alex a top five skilled player in this draft. He had excellent things to say about Chychrun as a player and person, he said the Flames know him and his family extremely well. He said that he's basically captain material.

I'd be thrilled with either player.

He said Brown has a very high ceiling, he compared him to Tanguay in that he's a pass first player. He talked more about Brown than Nylander, to me it sounded like he didn't want to say to much about Alex but made him sound very impressive. That's my 2 cents.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Chychrun is criminally underrated lately, I'd be dissapointed now in not getting a winger but in a couple years I'd be excited as hell.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
To add, I listened to the Conroy interview, some interesting comments.

He said the 2nd tier in this draft (Tkachuk, Dubois, player X), they have ranked all in the same tier, used the phrase "they're all in the same box". Also said, the Flames feel good about their defensive depth in the organization. He said they'll take BPA regardless if that's a Dman or not, but admitted getting another elite forward to play with Johnny, Benny and Monahan would be nice.

I feel strongly Nylander is our guy. Button said he's a top 5 skilled player in this draft. Now I haven't heard any comments on Keller, so I have no idea what their thoughts are on him.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
button did say that they expect 4 of their top 6 to be gone before 6.

i'm having trouble putting what I'm trying to think into words, but this leads me to believe that the flames board does not have both dubois and tkachuk in the top 6. either that, or they believe dubois and tkachuk will not both be selected by van and edm. i think the first scenario is most likely.

if what conroy says about chychrun is accurate, and what button says about nylander (top 5 skill player in the draft) could the flames top 6 be (no order) am, jp, pl, then chychrun, nylander, and one of tkachuk/dubois?

what do they know about tkachuk/dubois that the other team west canada teams don't?

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
button did say that they expect 4 of their top 6 to be gone before 6.

i'm having trouble putting what I'm trying to think into words, but this leads me to believe that the flames board does not have both dubois and tkachuk in the top 6. either that, or they believe dubois and tkachuk will not both be selected by van and edm. i think the first scenario is most likely.

if what conroy says about chychrun is accurate, and what button says about nylander (top 5 skill player in the draft) could the flames top 6 be (no order) am, jp, pl, then chychrun, nylander, and one of tkachuk/dubois?

what do they know about tkachuk/dubois that the other team west canada teams don't?

That would fit the theory, based on the scouting video (with the blurred out list), that the Flames have Dubois ranked at 8.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
More likely they think that the Oilers and Canucks might go off board.

It's really not at all out of the realm of possibility that the Oilers go off board and take Sergachev. Also a chance, albeit a much smaller chance, the Canucks take Joulevi. If just one of those things happen, the Flames get either Tkachuk or Dubois.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Just listened to the Todd Button interview on the Fan.

Based on that, I think we're taking either Nylander or Chychrun. He called Alex a top five skilled player in this draft. He had excellent things to say about Chychrun as a player and person, he said the Flames know him and his family extremely well. He said that he's basically captain material.

I'd be thrilled with either player.

He said Brown has a very high ceiling, he compared him to Tanguay in that he's a pass first player. He talked more about Brown than Nylander, to me it sounded like he didn't want to say to much about Alex but made him sound very impressive. That's my 2 cents.

I heard that interview too. He sounded a lot higher on Nylander than anyone else that was discussed - albeit they didn't really talk about the top three, and he sounded pretty down on Brown. Maybe the ol' switcheroo but I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad