Prospect Info: [Official]: 2016 Draft Thread v.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Yeah I just don't see that, in my viewings I have yet to see anything that makes me believe that.

You aren't entirely alone, and the consensus has been proven wrong before, but generally speaking if most scouts view him as around the consensus 5th overall, there is probably something there.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah, Tkachuk is a monster. His skating is weak but if he improves it he will be a high end first liner.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Am I the only one who just doesn't see it in Tkachuk?

More than a few think the best case scenario is 'merely' a high-end complementary player. Still useful but at 6th, you ideally want a player that drives the play.

I'm hoping the Canucks take him if the Oilers reach for Brown or a defenceman.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd be perfectly fine with Tkachuk as the 6th. He's being sold short a bit by us HF scouts; I think he has Perry type levels to him if everything goes well.

That all being said, it's no wonder most people look for C's and high caliber D early and often.

You look at the last few drafts; outside of this year... The first bunch of forwards tend to be C's.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'd be perfectly fine with Tkachuk as the 6th. He's being sold short a bit by us HF scouts; I think he has Perry type levels to him if everything goes well.

That all being said, it's no wonder most people look for C's and high caliber D early and often.

You look at the last few drafts; outside of this year... The first bunch of forwards tend to be C's.

Dubois won't be an effective centre at the NHL level. He stikes me as somewhat clumsy, can initiate contact, but doesn't shine in a hard checking, tight knit game, even for a big man. Needs time and space, but doesn't create it at an elite level. A lot of the same things were said about Perry, so I could be wrong, just my view.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Pretty sure Nemisz was a product of his teammates.

I questioned that pick from the day we had it. I really wondered if the scouts actually watched Nemo or they just looked at his size and statline. I mean teamed up with either Bailey or Hall or Henrique and the fact that the original scouting report had almost all his goals scored from setups from other teammates and deflections sitting in front of the net was screaming 3rd line player at best. Voynov, Carlsson, Josi and Allen, Ennis were picks near and after him.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I questioned that pick from the day we had it. I really wondered if the scouts actually watched Nemo or they just looked at his size and statline. I mean teamed up with either Bailey or Hall or Henrique and the fact that the original scouting report had almost all his goals scored from setups from other teammates and deflections sitting in front of the net was screaming 3rd line player at best. Voynov, Carlsson, Josi and Allen, Ennis were picks near and after him.

And Henrique was a third rounder if memory serves who had twice as many goals (30) this season as Nemisz has career NHL games (15).

The irony is strong.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
From the other forum:

A few quick points from Burke during the session:
- Believes that Tkachuk, Dubois and Joelevi are the second ledge of 4-6
- Was relieved they didn't fall out of the top six as they are confident in the top 6
- Saw Nylander recently and believes he will be better than his older brother
- Likes the big kid Brown, but he doesn't play a black and blue type of hockey
- Thinks that Brown and Nylander will be in the gap for the Flames and therefore not relevant
- Deflected a question about the other ledges in the draft and instead praised Treliving's ability to package draft picks (as he did for Hamilton)
- Thinks that Kyllington is a phenomenal skater and will play in the NHL in the not-too-distant future
- Ironed out some attitude and preparation issues with Andersson this year and he also believes that he will play in the NHL in the not-too-distant future
- Figures 4-5 Flames will participate in the WHC.

:popcorn:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Interesting, thanks for sharing bud.

Not sure how I feel about the 4-6 gap he's talking about. I like Juolevi but I really would prefer not to take a D.

Come on Edmonton, **** up trading #4 for an established player and pick a D or trade it to a team who will take a D man.

I'm a little confused about this part?

- Thinks that Brown and Nylander will be in the gap for the Flames and therefore not relevant

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
So we've got it 4-6 Tkachuk/Dubois/Juolevi. Then 7-8 Nylander/Brown? I like Juolevi watching the Mem cup he definitely has some Brodie in him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah that is kinda how I read it as well, but its odd that Burke would admit their 4-6 at this point.

Based on the phrasing in that post, he doesn't necessarily know. It's not his job to know, of course, so it's possible that he really is just guessing, or it's also equally possible that there's a little misdirection going on there and they really covet someone else.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Based on the phrasing in that post, he doesn't necessarily know. It's not his job to know, of course, so it's possible that he really is just guessing, or it's also equally possible that there's a little misdirection going on there and they really covet someone else.

Could be misdirection, could be his own opinion vs that of the scouts, who knows.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
:laugh: Classic Burke, does anyone really believe he's going to tip his actual hand as to who we are drafting? Burke is on the record as stating that teams will "leak" info often to play mind games into guessing who they will draft.

Trust me, their list is totally confidential.

May 27, 2012
Earth

Isn't it his job to know? He's the President of Hockey Operations. He should have some idea at least.

He's just probably saying stuff to appease us fans but not give anything away.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Isn't it his job to know? He's the President of Hockey Operations. He should have some idea at least.

He's just probably saying stuff to appease us fans but not give anything away.

I don't think it is. It's his job to preside over all of the hockey operations, not to do all the hockey operations himself. The way I see it, the president gives a framework for the GM to make decisions. I think the GM makes the decisions, and the president then is continuously evaluating those decisions.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
He could be just playing games. Though not sure why he'd say he thinks Nylander will be better than William, but wouldn't even look at him at 6... :dunno:

If I'm trying to deflect Edm and Van from considering Nylander, I'm not going to admit I think he'll be better than Toronto's top prospect.

Though maybe he wants them to think he's playing games so they take him, leaving Dubois or Tkachuk to us.

Or maybe it's not Nylander he wants to trick Edm or Van into taking! Maybe he's trying to get them interested in Juolevi, again leaving Dubois or Tkachuk to us.

What if he's actually a lot higher on Brown and...

This+_bc4cffb87d158f0c167ff488efec3dbe.png

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
2 things we know:

- Treliving does everything in stealth and no one in the media usually has a clue (ie. Dougie and firing Hartley)

- Burke, is a poker player.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I can actually see the Flames being very interested in Juolevi. He's been compared favourably to Brodie and really, who wouldn't want another Brodie on the team?

At the same time, there are rumors that both the Canucks and Oilers are considering Juolevi, so the possibility that this is just an attempt at mind games is definitely there. If either team is thinking about trading down to take Juolevi, maybe this forces them to reconsider and just take him where they pick. Which would then have preferably Dubois fall to Calgary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad