Official 2015 Calgary Flames Draft Thread: 15th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
The comparison to Kabanov isn't even close. In fact, it's so far away it's practically a dot.

I think a closer comparison (in terms of situation re: draft rankings) is someone like Nylander, who was originally projected as top three in his draft year, only to fall off a lot of charts in a similar fashion.

I don't think anyone is going to be blown away by Kylington's defensive or physical games, it's his mobility and hockey sense that wowed people a year ago, those factors haven't changed, and will likely mean he goes in the top 30 this coming draft. While I don't know if the Flames take a chance on him (and I admit it would be a roll of the dice at #15) I can think of worse things to happen. Either way, I'm confident in our scouts.

Wait, so your idea of a comparison is a guy that fell like 2-3 spots to Toronto? Nylander as far as I can remember was rarely ranked higher than Bennett, Reinhart, or Ekblad. So at highest 3rd or 4th. He went 7th.

I'm saying Kylington was argued top 5 before the season, and now he's not even in the first in a lot of mocks. Thats vastly different than your comparison.

Probably more apt comparisons would be Gormley or Fowler, but they were top 5 guys immediately before the draft who fell into the teens. I full expect Kylington to not go before 20. I'll be surprised if he does.

That being said DeAngelo had way more question marks when it came to attitude AND defense and he still went decently high. So we'll see.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I'm not sure it can be said that Kylington has a high hockey sense. Maybe offensively I'll give you that but defensively he is oblivious.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Merkley has a nice mix of grit and skill though. Isn't afraid to get in the mix of things with bigger players.

Can't have a team of vicious munchkin warriors though. We have a size and weight issue as is.

I think Calgary will draft some size this year for some reason, maybe in the first round; for sure in the later rounds. We've picked the Goliath of the draft two years running now!

I don't really want to predict who we snag because the last two years were so obvious it hurt. There will be someone who takes a bit of a tumble... But I do think Calgary will grab a defenseman this year unless we have a real faller. If someone in the top 10 falls, Calgary will get them. That or we'll be getting the closest projected dman. Just a gut feeling.

On a side note; I think the winner of the draft this year will be the Canes. Much like the Preds and Seth Jones, I think Noah Hanifin will take a tumble in the draft. I think the Dogs will grab Strome, and I think the Leafs will be dumb enough to get a centre with Noah still on the table.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Can't have a team of vicious munchkin warriors though. We have a size and weight issue as is.

I think Calgary will draft some size this year for some reason, maybe in the first round; for sure in the later rounds. We've picked the Goliath of the draft two years running now!

I don't really want to predict who we snag because the last two years were so obvious it hurt. There will be someone who takes a bit of a tumble... But I do think Calgary will grab a defenseman this year unless we have a real faller. If someone in the top 10 falls, Calgary will get them. That or we'll be getting the closest projected dman. Just a gut feeling.

The one guy I would LOVE to fall into our hands is Barzal, but i really really don't see that happening, so Roy it is for me

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I really want us to trade up if one of Barzal/Werenski fall out of the top 10. There's no way they get to 15.

flamesforcup*

The one guy I would LOVE to fall into our hands is Barzal, but i really really don't see that happening, so Roy it is for me

really interesting thought where is barzal ranked nowadays and what are the chances he can fall?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
whoever we draft, I'm hoping it's a right-handed stick because this draft seems chock full of really good ones:

1st Round

Matthew Barzal
Nick Merkley
Jeremy Bracco
Brock Boeser
Brandon Carlo
Colin White
Daniel Sprong

2nd Round
Matt Spencer
Erik Cerniak
Blake Speers

Even if these guys weren't right-shots, they'd make a strong case. Yes, BPA is important, but you need to have room on your farm team for a player too, and we've got so many LW and LD right now that we wouldn't develop players properly.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
whoever we draft, I'm hoping it's a right-handed stick because this draft seems chock full of really good ones:

1st Round

Matthew Barzal
Nick Merkley
Jeremy Bracco
Brock Boeser
Brandon Carlo
Colin White
Daniel Sprong

2nd Round
Matt Spencer
Erik Cerniak
Blake Speers

Even if these guys weren't right-shots, they'd make a strong case. Yes, BPA is important, but you need to have room on your farm team for a player too, and we've got so many LW and LD right now that we wouldn't develop players properly.

Don't forget Konecny and Roy for the first round too :)

FlamesFan 2313

Mar 22, 2015
Ontario
Looking at players that should go between 12-17 I really like Svechnikov. Seems really strong on the boards, protects the puck really well and can score. I'm hoping he's who we draft at #15

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
he could fall but no way he falls to 15th. I feel like NJ will pick him up

He has been seen as high as 5/6 for some mocks. I don't think he falls out of the top 10. He had a really good U18 WJC and playoffs to make up for his injured WHL season.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
If he fell to the Flames I don't see how they could not take him. His numbers are gaudy.

Almost gaudreaudy. :)

But yeah, I don't see the likes of Rantanen & Crouse fall to us. From my list, the most potential faller from the expected top10 (McDavid, Eichel, Marner, Hanifin, Strome, Crouse, Rantanen, Provorov, Barzal, Werenski) is Werenski, too. Would be great to get him, but not so probable to happen.

I'm hoping really hard to get one of Werenski, Barzal or Konecny. But it wouldn't be too bad to get Roy, Chabot & Zboril (and at least one of them is surely there when it's our turn).

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Almost gaudreaudy. :)

But yeah, I don't see the likes of Rantanen & Crouse fall to us. From my list, the most potential faller from the expected top10 (McDavid, Eichel, Marner, Hanifin, Strome, Crouse, Rantanen, Provorov, Barzal, Werenski) is Werenski, too. Would be great to get him, but not so probable to happen.

I'm hoping really hard to get one of Werenski, Barzal or Konecny. But it wouldn't be too bad to get Roy, Chabot & Zboril (and at least one of them is surely there when it's our turn).

Have you watched Rantanen at all? If so, would it be worth trading up into the top 10 in hopes he falls to us?

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
I would rather not trade up to be honest. Unless under crazy circumstances like Barzal or Werenski falls past top 10. Then I would make the trade. Florida might be willing to trade down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->