official 2014-2015 post-mortem thread

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
I love how hard the team is taking not making the playoffs. Heart break has a tendency to catapult teams to the next level. These guys are ready.

Very true.

I love their collective disappointments

Much different than gallant "not devastated" silly January remark.

It's clearly the jägr influence.

Player coach????

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Very true.

I love their collective disappointments

Much different than gallant "not devastated" silly January remark.

It's clearly the jägr influence.

Player coach????

Jags definitely has an influence. But, if you look at the roster, there are many other winners on there as well that are seeing this season as ending in disappointment

Willie Mitchell-defending champion, captain. And I think, Ekblad is REALLY going to benefit from living with him. He will have witnessed Mitch's attitude in the locker room and when they get home.

Campbell - he knows his career is coming to a close, he has won, and he is showing this season does nothing for him.

Thornton - See campbell

Bolland - Two time champion like Mitch, see campbell for this one

Jagr- Is actually the most positive I've seen amongst the group here. However, had he been with the team the full season, I am sure he will echo the feelings here. But for now, its actually good he is being "positive" about this.

He should do a Mitch and move in with Barkov and Hubs next season.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I'm only asking because I've heard tons of chatter about Jagr all but guaranteed to re-sign.

If Tallon isn't able to re-sign Jagr somehow, would that be considered a colossal failure?

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I'm only asking because I've heard tons of chatter about Jagr all but guaranteed to re-sign.

If Tallon isn't able to re-sign Jagr somehow, would that be considered a colossal failure?

depends on who they replace him with. But then that said person would have to have the same chemistry with Barky and Hubs. And the fear would be they regress again. Would be a huge detour.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I skimmed through the thread. The major problem we had all year was special teams and this was supposed to be addressed in the offseason. It wasn't and cost us a playoff spot. MacKenzie and Bolland didn't do much to improve the PK. Gallant waited way too long to try to fix the PP. If we had average special teams, we'd be in the playoffs.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I can't believe next season is the 20 year, TWENTY YEAR, anniversary of the year of the rat. Our magical season, still the best to this very day.

God, we are due. I hope next year they capture some of that magic. Man....honestly I think I will cry if they ever win a cup. like straight up, just bawl my eyes out

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa and Florida

Calgary clinched. Winnipeg clinched. And Ottawa is on the cusp of clinching.

Those three teams were not favored to make the playoffs this year but somehow they're making it work. I'd really like to hear different opinions on what separates the Florida's on-ice product from Calgary, Winnipeg and Ottawa. Basically, I'm trying to understand why we fell short and what can prevent us from falling short next year. Yeah, stop more pucks and get more goals obviously, but it's perplexing why those three were able to make it and Florida, on year number five of a Dale Tallon rebuild, got eliminated around game 78 or 79. Are those teams ultra superior to Florida or just having seasons like we had in 2011-2012?

:flames :jets :sens :panthers

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
Other than Ottawa, the teams you mentioned had better coaching. Ottawa got extremely lucky and got astounding play from an average AHL goalie. I'd say special teams are another reason. And with Calgary, their offense is ridiculous and almost everyone on their team shot like 17% at least, Hudler shot about 20%

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
These two thread ideas seemed similar, so probably worth keeping it in the same thread.

Those three teams were not favored to make the playoffs this year but somehow they're making it work. I'd really like to hear different opinions on what separates the Florida's on-ice product from Calgary, Winnipeg and Ottawa. Basically, I'm trying to understand why we fell short and what can prevent us from falling short next year. Yeah, stop more pucks and get more goals obviously, but it's perplexing why those three were able to make it and Florida, on year number five of a Dale Tallon rebuild, got eliminated around game 78 or 79. Are those teams ultra superior to Florida or just having seasons like we had in 2011-2012?

Simply put, West regressed. 4 teams that made it last year missed the dance this season; including the current SC Champion and a team that last missed the playoffs in 2003.

Only two teams (Boston & Pittsburgh) nose dived in the East this season compared to their previous year and both of them still have a chance of making it. Sens miracle run is once in a lifetime stuff.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

1 glaring factor to me is in the west, only 6 teams miss the playoffs. Right off the bat, Arizona Edmonton fell off so your down to 4 teams that are in the hunt right?

Colorado got off the a slow Start, Dallas too and injury to Seguin hurt them bad. LA seemed tired really, too much hockey and San Jose had a bad off-season with the Thornton thing.

In the East, 8 teams miss, remove Buffalo and you are at 7. And those are the only teams that were "bad" from the jump, yes even Toronto, they were fine till they fired their coach.

Other thing, Hartley is a world class coach and Maurice isnt too shabby himself, I'd take either one in a heart beat. but to be honest, the Jets are good and I had them in from the jump. Calgary, Hartley made such a difference there cannot say that enough.

Ottawa, they just got their games into overtime and just had enough to get the bonus point. see how many 3 point games they had down the stretch. but give them credit, hammond and Karlsson were huge.

And for us, I will point at the Mitchell injury as the stretch where we could have gained more points (don't bring up the 1 point set we had, it happens, teams slump).

Our PK was laughable without Mitch and our defense took a noooooooossseee dive. And Pirri being made of glass, could have used his goal scoring all year.

But, having said all that, if this team wasn't a bubble team at the TDL, don't think the Jagr trade would have happened. We didn't make it, but we come out ahead.

Now we got Jagr, it worked, keep him, miss now, next year we come out loud and make explosions.

We end this year by putting the league on notice.

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
2014-2015 Season In Review

38W - 29L - 15OTL - 91 points

Really enjoyed this season, especially the exciting run for a playoff spot (so close, but yet so far). So many memorable moments: history was made (20-round SO), the Huberdeau - Barkov - Jagr line, Bjugstad, Pirri's 22g 2a, etc.

You just cannot call this season a failure; most improved team in the NHL, none of our guys overachieved, our youngstes took huge strides, and well.. Jagr is Jagr.
No reason to not be in the playoffs next year!

What are your thoughts? What was your favorite moment?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad