Official 2013-2014 Abbotsford Heat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
You actually believe that all players that don't make the NHL are busts?? :shakehead

Working on the premise that players are drafted with the hope that they will become NHLers, yes. I consider it to be a synonym for failure, and if you're drafted by an NHL team and you do not become an NHLer, that strikes me as a failure.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Working on the premise that players are drafted with the hope that they will become NHLers, yes. I consider it to be a synonym for failure, and if you're drafted by an NHL team and you do not become an NHLer, that strikes me as a failure.
They don't expect it though, that is why they are not busts. Calling a 7th round pick with a 1% chance of making the NHL a bust for not making it is a little ridiculous.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

The difference is that hope does not equal expectation. If NHL clubs expect that every draft pick they make is going to become an NHLer, then they must expect that the max roster size is going to increase rapidly in the future.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Not sure why we're arguing about the definition of a colloquialism, but in dictionary terms, to bust is to fail. From the point of view of an NHL team, if they draft a player who never plays a game in the big league, how could that possibly be characterized as a success?

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Not sure why we're arguing about the definition of a colloquialism, but in dictionary terms, to bust is to fail. From the point of view of an NHL team, if they draft a player who never plays a game in the big league, how could that possibly be characterized as a success?
because they got drafted in the first place, that is success. It's also not failing if you meet expectations, in fact it should be characterized as successfully reaching expectations

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Even Hockey's Future aka this website, labels all players who don't make the show (i.e. the NHL) as busts in their draft evaluations.

Organizations draft players with one explicit purpose - to play in the NHL.

Feb 23, 2014
A quick glance shows:

First 15 games after demotion
2 goals
2 assists
4 points

Last 21 games
8 goals
10 assists
18 points
even

Sven will be a productive NHL player with time, I just question whether or not it will be here in Calgary or somewhere else..

Sven will be here. Name any other high end prospect Burke has traded before his true potential was known?

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
because they got drafted in the first place, that is success. It's also not failing if you meet expectations, in fact it should be characterized as successfully reaching expectations

My perspective is that each player has a set of goals, and their goal, once drafted, is to play in the NHL. Additionally, the goal (not the expectation) of the team drafting them is for that player to become an NHL player. If that goal is not met, the player, from an NHL perspective, is a bust.

Your definition is awesome if you want to make people feel better about the fact that they're unlikely to reach their goal, but I don't think it's an appropriate way to delineate the success of a prospect.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Even Hockey's Future aka this website, labels all players who don't make the show (i.e. the NHL) as busts in their draft evaluations.

In hopes they will play in the NHL. The expectation is not there. If the Flames draft a guy in the 7th round and he turns into a career AHLer they will in no way consider him a bust.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
It's possible it's been mentioned on here, but I saw on the AHL's website that Aaron Dell has played some games for the Heat. Has he signed a contract with the Flames at all, or is he just on an ATO? He was a very good goaltender for North Dakota, and I think it'd be a solid depth move.

Edit - Nevermind, just read that he was released a couple day ago. Oh well. Also saw they signed Collin Valcourt, what're everyone's thoughts on him?

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
It's possible it's been mentioned on here, but I saw on the AHL's website that Aaron Dell has played some games for the Heat. Has he signed a contract with the Flames at all, or is he just on an ATO? He was a very good goaltender for North Dakota, and I think it'd be a solid depth move.
He was on a PTO and has since been released and gone back to the Utah Grizzlies. It was his 2nd stint with the Heat actually. I actually really liked the kid, I thought he looked amazing in his last 2 appearances.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
In hopes they will play in the NHL. The expectation is not there. If the Flames draft a guy in the 7th round and he turns into a career AHLer they will in no way consider him a bust.

That's a consolation prize.

If they expected or even hoped the player would be an NHL'er where ever they drafted him, as they should, and the player fails to reach that mark, then by definition, they're a bust.

NHL teams do not draft players with the expectation, goal or hope they become AHL'ers.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That's a consolation prize.

If they expected or even hoped the player would be an NHL'er where ever they drafted him, as they should, and the player fails to reach that mark, then by definition, they're a bust.

NHL teams do not draft players with the expectation, goal or hope they become AHL'ers.

I guess I feel like that cheapens the term, put that's admittedly down to personal taste.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I guess this is a good place to post this.

Mark Cundari, who was on loan to the Chicago Wolves of the AHL has been recalled by the Calgary Flames. link

He will be a huge loss for the Wolves as he was a great fit. That boy can play. Watched him play at least six times. He is very strong. A freaking bull.

My apologies if this is the wrong place to put this. Maybe prospects thread? The Mods will move it if they see fit, I suppose.

Last edited:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

You're right again Calculon. All drafts in every sport has the common purpose of distributing and selecting potential incomers into the respective sports league. That's why its an NHL draft, not an AHL draft. The current purpose of the AHL is to develop NHL prospects.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I guess this is a good place to post this.

Mark Cundari, who was on loan to the Chicago Wolves of the AHL has been recalled by the Calgary Flames. link

He will be a huge loss for the Wolves as he was a great fit. That boy can play. Watched him play at least six times. He is very strong. A freaking bull.

My apologies if this is the wrong place to put this. Maybe prospects thread? The Mods will move it if they see fit, I suppose.
Would have been posted here anyways, so thank you and even more thanks for the link

The Wolves will get Cundari back for the playoffs though. He will be sent back to Chicago on the 14th or 15th, potentially sooner if he is considered the emergency recall. Although I think Breen is the emergency recall as he was called up immediately after the Flames last game and quite honestly it's Breen we want to be able to send back and forth so it helps the Heat more, so it makes sense to keep Cundari up as an actual recall rather than an emergency recall that will have to go back immediately

Feb 23, 2014
Smid was a pretty highly rated prospect when Burke traded him to Edmonton.

haha in a trade for Chris Pronger and then they won a cup...

Not to mention Smid was always touted as having a top-4 upside with minimal offense so its not the same...

If Smid (and draft picks used to draft Seguin and Hamilton) are the only examples than it just proves my point that Sven will not get traded..

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Would have been posted here anyways, so thank you and even more thanks for the link

The Wolves will get Cundari back for the playoffs though. He will be sent back to Chicago on the 14th or 15th, potentially sooner if he is considered the emergency recall. Although I think Breen is the emergency recall as he was called up immediately after the Flames last game and quite honestly it's Breen we want to be able to send back and forth so it helps the Heat more, so it makes sense to keep Cundari up as an actual recall rather than an emergency recall that will have to go back immediately

Thanks for the info. Just purely out of my own curiosity, regarding Cundari coming back to Chicago for the playoffs, is this your hunch or is this what is going to happen based on some information?

He really was a nice breath of fresh air for the team and he infused a lot of energy and strength to the lineup. It's so cool that Abbotsford and Chicago could wind up meeting each other in the 1st round!! Cundari must be really confused right now!! I suppose he may have suspected that this wold happen anyway. It's just the nature of the AHL. Either way he will be in the playoffs.

I hope he gets some ice time with the Flames.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Thanks for the info. Just purely out of my own curiosity, regarding Cundari coming back to Chicago for the playoffs, is this your hunch or is this what is going to happen based on some information?

He really was a nice breath of fresh air for the team and he infused a lot of energy and strength to the lineup. It's so cool that Abbotsford and Chicago could wind up meeting each other in the 1st round!! Cundari must be really confused right now!! I suppose he may have suspected that this wold happen anyway. It's just the nature of the AHL. Either way he will be in the playoffs.

I hope he gets some ice time with the Flames.
It only makes sense. He is eligible for the AHL playoffs and he is not allowed to play for Abbotsford due to being traded/loaned to the Wolves. Technically the Flames could just leave him in the NHL and not assign him anywhere when the season ends, but don't think they want to cause any bad blood with the Wolves or Blues.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
It only makes sense. He is eligible for the AHL playoffs and he is not allowed to play for Abbotsford due to being traded/loaned to the Wolves. Technically the Flames could just leave him in the NHL and not assign him anywhere when the season ends, but don't think they want to cause any bad blood with the Wolves or Blues.

Yep! Makes sense. Agreed that there is no reason to cause bad blood. The Blues' and Flames' front offices have a decent-enough relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->