Office of Strategic Planning - Tank Talk 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch
If Parise cannot waive his NTC clause for the Wild in order for them to protect Greenway and Dumba (e.g. going with 8 skaters), then he shouldn't be on the team anymore. There is zero chance Seattle takes him. He would only be hurting the team.

Depends if he trusts Guerin or not. What if after he waives Guerin pays Seattle to take him. Would be a d-bag move and ruin his credibility with other players, so I doubt it would happen. But Parise has to consider it.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Depends if he trusts Guerin or not. What if after he waives Guerin pays Seattle to take him. Would be a d-bag move and ruin his credibility with other players, so I doubt it would happen. But Parise has to consider it.
I highly doubt Guerin would pay Seattle to take him since that would mean giving up someone like Dumba/Greenway + a pick. That defeats the purpose of getting Parise to waive since you lose the asset you want to keep. Plus the Wild are still 100% on the hook for the cap recapture penalty.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN

i immediately make a statue of guerin to place outside of xcel. wouldnt even care if it cost us dumba or greenway

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If Parise cannot waive his NTC clause for the Wild in order for them to protect Greenway and Dumba (e.g. going with 8 skaters), then he shouldn't be on the team anymore. There is zero chance Seattle takes him. He would only be hurting the team.

Parise shouldn't be on the team anymore even if he is willing to waive his no move.

What? :huh:

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
The way I understand it (certainly could be wrong) when you waive a NMC, it is waived for good. So that would be the consideration for Parise. Clearly he’s not going to Seattle but would the team dump him elsewhere.

I’m sure something could be written up (maybe?) if the above is actually the case and sure, handshake agreements are a thing, but that doesn’t mean they need to be honored by Guerin or his replacement.

And you can change Parise for any of the other names if I am understanding it correctly.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The way I understand it (certainly could be wrong) when you waive a NMC, it is waived for good. So that would be the consideration for Parise. Clearly he’s not going to Seattle but would the team dump him elsewhere.

I’m sure something could be written up (maybe?) if the above is actually the case and sure, handshake agreements are a thing, but that doesn’t mean they need to be honored by Guerin or his replacement.

And you can change Parise for any of the other names if I am understanding it correctly.
That's not how contracts work.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
That's not how contracts work.

I feel like I remember Friedman say this on a podcast around the last expansion and that is why it didn’t happen to any degree last go around. Again, not 100% certain, but that is what I can recall. If you can find anything that disputes it, would be all ears.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I feel like I remember Friedman say this on a podcast around the last expansion and that is why it didn’t happen to any degree last go around. Again, not 100% certain, but that is what I can recall. If you can find anything that disputes it, would be all ears.
A NMC doesn't mean that Parise cannot be waived/traded/sent down. A NMC means that none of those things can happen without Parise's consent. Guerin is free to negotiate a trade of Parise to any/all teams in the NHL. That trade just can't go through without Parise's consent. Parise agreeing to sign off on a particular trade or agreeing to waive his NMC for the expansion draft doesn't magically make his contractually agreed upon NMC disappear forever.

What you're most likely thinking of is the rule that a player that negotiated a NMC/NTC into their contract in the future, could be traded before the clause took effect and then the acquiring team was not required to honor that NMC/NTC. I believe that even that rule has been done away with though.

Examining Some Major CBA Changes

Reactions: Prior

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
If Parise moves to Seattle, then his Cap Advantage is locked in. I don't have faith in him playing in 2025, so I'd rather not run the risk of having $20M (smoothed at AAV) against the cap in an inopportune time. Like it or not, the best place for Parise to be is here, then bought out in 1-2 years.

Reactions: Olcoach

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
A NMC doesn't mean that Parise cannot be waived/traded/sent down. A NMC means that none of those things can happen without Parise's consent. Guerin is free to negotiate a trade of Parise to any/all teams in the NHL. That trade just can't go through without Parise's consent. Parise agreeing to sign off on a particular trade or agreeing to waive his NMC for the expansion draft doesn't magically make his contractually agreed upon NMC disappear forever.

What you're most likely thinking of is the rule that a player that negotiated a NMC/NTC into their contract in the future, could be traded before the clause took effect and then the acquiring team was not required to honor that NMC/NTC. I believe that even that rule has been done away with though.

Examining Some Major CBA Changes
I swear I heard the same thing about waiving it in the past but I have no idea what is actually correct.

The thinking goes like this:

Players with a NMC in their contract must be protected, Parise is one of these players.
Even if he were to "temporarily" waive his NMC, that terminology is still written into his contract and therefore still required to be protected.
If the above is correct, he must agree to remove the terminology from his contract completely.

All of this depends on arbitrary rules set by the NHL, they could just as easily agree that a temporary waive is valid.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Don't look now, but i think we are going to make the playoffs, unless injuries/Covid happens in a big way. STL has a ton of players out, CO is talented but flawed, we usually do well against VGK, and all the rest, are all the rest. Our PP can do nothing but get better, Spurgeon should get better, and Fiala, too. Zuccarello and Rask will come down to earth, but MoJo and Bonino can't get much worse, can they? Overall, things look pretty rosy, given the lousy st

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Teams That will be worse than us:
  • Buffalo
  • Anahiem
  • Columbus
  • Detroit
  • San Jose
  • Arizona
  • Ottawa
Teams the could be worse than us:
  • New Jersey
  • LA
  • Vancouver
  • Chicago
  • Calgary
  • Philly
You could maybe throw 2-3 more teams into the pool, but I’d say pretty confortably that we’ll pick between 9 and 17 (inclusive)

EDIT: oops and throw Seattle in the mix somewhere too

Last edited:

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
  • Buffalo
  • Anahiem
  • Columbus
  • Detroit
  • San Jose
  • Arizona
  • Ottawa
  • New Jersey
  • LA
  • Vancouver
  • Chicago
  • Calgary
  • Philly
You could maybe throw 2-3 more teams into the pool, but I’d say pretty confortably that we’ll pick between 9 and 17 (inclusive)

Sadly if we wanna drop we have to go full rebuild. Kap Fiala dumba to the highest bidder. Ask spurgeon and Brodin if they also want out. Foligno greenway at the deadline zucc next year or ask him also.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Sadly if we wanna drop we have to go full rebuild. Kap Fiala dumba to the highest bidder. Ask spurgeon and Brodin if they also want out. Foligno greenway at the deadline zucc next year or ask him also.
I don’t know that Kap and Fiala are too old to be a part of a rebuild. But, with the contract situations likely not being long term, you’re probably right about moving them in a rebuild.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN

i mean, wed need a couple of them to make cap floor and they arent too old to be useful after said rebuild except maybe spurgeon.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
  • Buffalo
  • Anahiem
  • Columbus
  • Detroit
  • San Jose
  • Arizona
  • Ottawa
  • New Jersey
  • LA
  • Vancouver
  • Chicago
  • Calgary
  • Philly

The central will still be pretty weak too, as is the west overall.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
The central will still be pretty weak too, as is the west overall.
I don’t think the central will be that weak. Winnipeg got Better. Dallas got better and will have guys back from injury. Chicago go Better. STL is still a good team. Colorado will be a cup favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad