Office of Strategic Planning - Tank Talk 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Then if you believe that, you believe we won't completely suck next year either anyway and thus you agree with the overall sentiment that we shouldn't be planning a tank next year already at this point in time.

I still don't know what you think "planning on tanking" means. You can give roles and ice time to guys like Rossi and Boldy without it being "tanking". You can decide that there's nothing smart that you can do in free agency without it being "tanking". You can not make trades like Kunin/Bonino without it being "tanking".

I am completely fine with having us integrate our young, high-potential prospects into the NHL lineup next year, and if it leads to a bad spot in the standings, it doesn't necessarily mean we "planned" to do it. It's a step in the direction of getting a couple key guys for our future into the timeline.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I still don't know what you think "planning on tanking" means. You can give roles and ice time to guys like Rossi and Boldy without it being "tanking". You can decide that there's nothing smart that you can do in free agency without it being "tanking". You can not make trades like Kunin/Bonino without it being "tanking".

I am completely fine with having us integrate our young, high-potential prospects into the NHL lineup next year, and if it leads to a bad spot in the standings, it doesn't necessarily mean we "planned" to do it. It's a step in the direction of getting a couple key guys for our future into the timeline.
Go back to the post that started the discussion...

I think we have no choice but to tank next year too. I don’t see any trades happening with the cap (and FLA playing well), and there are no great FA. The top 5, maybe even the top 10 of the ‘22 draft might be too good to pass up on. So unless we trade for Eichel, let’s keep adding to our pool.
Clearly means already "shooting for a top 5-10 pick" after NEXT season.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I don't think you "plan" on being a tank team after this year with Kaprizov and Fiala on the team. You build the best team you can around them and w.e happens well happens.

Otherwise you are just wasting the prime years of these guys and mine as well ship em now for premiums. You can certainly infuse the boldys and rossis but you don't build of a culture of winning by deliberately being bad for picks.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
No bueno.

Definitely the worst case scenario and it really shouldn’t get to that point anyways. I’d have to think that BG has already had conversations with Parise about waiving his NMC. If it doesn’t look likely, then I think you move Dumba for what you can get beforehand. Although a trade with Seattle is always possible to avoid either of Greenway or Dumba being selected. There’s a lot of alternative routes before it comes down to just letting either Dumba or Greenway go.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Guerin once said...you don't just ask a player to waive his contract clauses, because it can ruin a good relationship to that player forever.

There's a lot of truth in that, so the initiative should come from the player.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Guerin once said...you don't just ask a player to waive his contract clauses, because it can ruin a good relationship to that player forever.

Well Pitt did ask MAF to waive his NMC for Vegas.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Foligno, Soucy, or Menell (if Parise waives his NMC). If he doesn’t waive, I strongly consider exposing Dumba because we have the depth at RD to afford it and we clear up $6M in cap.

giving up dumba for free has a very high potential to be worse than the burns trade. i dont understand why some of you are so okay with just letting him go for nothing.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN

Do you really think BG is worried about how Parise would take that? He already snubbed him of captaincy, and parise is on the twilight of his career

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Parise waiving his NMC is something I see happening. He wants to win a Cup and him waiving his NMC makes this team better throughout his remaining tenure.

But is there a team outside of the Islanders that would even have any interest in Parise and his $7.5 million cap hit without the Wild retaining a huge amount of $$? I'm not even sure the Islanders would still make that deal considering how bad Parise is playing.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
But is there a team outside of the Islanders that would even have any interest in Parise and his $7.5 million cap hit without the Wild retaining a huge amount of $$? I'm not even sure the Islanders would still make that deal considering how bad Parise is playing.
Yeah, the way he is playing, he's a tough sell. If he is on a 30g pace like last year then NYI does it because they are getting nothing at all from Ladd. Getting Parise helps them " win now" which they appeared to be capable a year or two ago. Now.... That deal wouldn't make sense for them, or the Wild.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Th point of his post is exactly that, expose him knowing full well it’s unlikely at best Seattle takes him over Foligno or soucy

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Parise is the ideal 4th line energy guy. Its just unfortunate hes paid like a top10 lw. If he could swallow some pride and accept that role being the guy on his energy line while sprinkling in some more minutes here and there he's certainly capable of being on a cup contending team these last few twilight years.

Unfortunately I don't think that's the case and could maybe he see him waiving if he's going to get "less minutes"

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Parise is not an ideal player of any type now because he doesn't have any speed. His hands also seem to be going, and he never was much of a passer, though that was a sweet feed to Foligno last game. I hope he can turn this season around.

Reactions: nickschultzfan

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
If we don't trade Dumba I wonder if we could use Talbot as the centerpiece of a deal with Seattle to have them pick Soucy instead of Greenway. It is becoming clear that Kahk is going to be an NHL starter, and may already be good enough to be one now. That makes Talbot expendable.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If we don't trade Dumba I wonder if we could use Talbot as the centerpiece of a deal with Seattle to have them pick Soucy instead of Greenway. It is becoming clear that Kahk is going to be an NHL starter, and may already be good enough to be one now. That makes Talbot expendable.

They are going to have similar, if not better, goalie options.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Piggy back off this If I'm kraken I'm eyeing dumba, Ek, Greenway or Soucy. 1 of them will be available. You better give me an op price to stay away.

Trade Dumba and convince Parise to waive his NMC (no chance that Seattle would pick him) and protect the following:

Zuccarello
Fiala
Greenway
Ek

Spurgeon
Suter
Brodin
Soucy

KK

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Trade Dumba and convince Parise to waive his NMC (no chance that Seattle would pick him) and protect the following:

Zuccarello
Fiala
Greenway
Ek

Spurgeon
Suter
Brodin
Soucy

KK
Wasn't there something about how Soucy needs to be exposed because each team needs to expose a certain number of players that have played a number of NHL games?

Reactions: GuerinUp

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
If Parise cannot waive his NTC clause for the Wild in order for them to protect Greenway and Dumba (e.g. going with 8 skaters), then he shouldn't be on the team anymore. There is zero chance Seattle takes him. He would only be hurting the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad