Offersheets turned down by players

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Wouldn't an offer sheet be just the same as a team negotiating with a UFA?

ie - this off season Panarin probably got contacted by 10+ teams all of whom offered contracts (most probably didn't put it in writing, but just verbally said "we'd do 7x10M$").

I expect the same thing happens with RFAs. I expect Habs contacted Point and said something like "7x10M are you interrested?" and he said "no, but thank you". And they didn't go higher. And these types of conversations probably happened with many other teams with high profile RFAs. At some point an RFA will say "hrmm yeah i'll take that" - kind of like Aho did - and that's when an offer sheet actually materializes.

Reactions: sharkhawk

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Just read this quote in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle (Jan. 11, 1931) by Lester Patrick

Lester Patrick said:
Hockey is made up of two kinds of players. There's the sentimental boy who grows homesick, has friends on some particular team where he wants to play. Then there's the ice-is-ice chap. He doesn't care who he is playing for or where he plays – so long as he gets the money. He doesn't know what it is to be lonesome. He doesn't crab about the food. He doesn't say the town's no good. He's perfectly satisfied.

Asked which type of player he would prefer on the New York Rangers the manager had a pretty quick and concise answer

Lester Patrick said:
Ice is ice

Interestingly enough the headline to the article (by one Harold C. Burr) reads Patrick doesn't want his hockey players to be too intelligent.

I guess Point, according to this theory, is just an intelligent sentimental homesick boy with friends on some particular team where he wants to play. :dunno:

Reactions: BadgerBruce

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
That he refused to sign an offer-sheet from Montreal.

I've also gotten this impression sometimes from the media and fan forum coverage that players are damn obligated to sign any offer sheet thrown in their direction.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Brian Gionta alluded to turning down overtures back in the summer of 2006. The Devils were in salary cap jail after signing Alexander Mogilny and Vladimir Malakhov to 35+ deals. Gionta allowed the team to sort things out (Mogilny going on LTIR, Malakhov's cap hit being traded) and eventually re-signed after the opening night roster was submitted to the league. More than likely they had a deal in place for awhile but they had to wait for the other dominoes to fall.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?id=2611800

Oct 4, 2006

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Devils leading scorer Brian Gionta and four other veterans signed with New Jersey on Tuesday after the NHL gave the team $3.5 million in salary cap relief by placing veteran forward Alexander Mogilny on the long-term injury exception list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad