Proposal: Offersheet Zach Werenski

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Ok so if he wins the Norris it's because of hype? Jones is the best D on Columbus which is not a knock on Zach I'd take any/both of them. You can't say he is all hype....

Statistically Werenski was better over their first 3 seasons, and comparing their seasons this year Jones was only slightly better in a couple categories. Points per 60 was the same. Corsi and Fenwick were almost the same. And Werenski is only 21. And in the playoffs they have pretty much matching stat lines, though Werenski has the slight edge.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
If Zach Werenski really wants to be a Red Wing he will sign only a one year deal with the Blue Jackets for next season then sign with Detroit as a UFA next summer. That's literally the best and fastest way we would acquire him and without giving away any assets.

Werenski is 4 seasons away from being a UFA.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He was never a finalist. The highest he ever got was 4th. Finalists are top 3.

The highest he ever ranked was 4th in the league what a shame. He should have won the Norris last year in my opinion. Seth Jones is a beast and it should be noted Werenski has benefited a ton from having him for long stretches as his partner. I like both guys, I think Werenski is probably in the 10 to 20 range and I would put Jones top 3 in terms of D-man, but I don't understand how he would fall out of a top 10 scenario.

I would love to have either Trouba or Werenski come home. We cannot offersheet Werenski though this off-season CBJ has a ton of cap space and will match rather easily in my opinion. Just about any number they could match. If we did offersheet him I would put it to the length of his UFA status, that makes it at least a little harder for Cbus to match but I think they still would. They are actually going to have the cap space that they could punish us for doing it and target AA or Mantha though.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The highest he ever ranked was 4th in the league what a shame. He should have won the Norris last year in my opinion. Seth Jones is a beast and it should be noted Werenski has benefited a ton from having him for long stretches as his partner. I like both guys, I think Werenski is probably in the 10 to 20 range and I would put Jones top 3 in terms of D-man, but I don't understand how he would fall out of a top 10 scenario.

I would love to have either Trouba or Werenski come home. We cannot offersheet Werenski though this off-season CBJ has a ton of cap space and will match rather easily in my opinion. Just about any number they could match. If we did offersheet him I would put it to the length of his UFA status, that makes it at least a little harder for Cbus to match but I think they still would. They are actually going to have the cap space that they could punish us for doing it and target AA or Mantha though.

I put Jones (as a combination of his career to this point, and future potential) behind Josi, Hedman, Doughty, Giordano, Subban, Burns and Karlsson. After that group its more of a grab bag of players that exist in the 8-20 range. Carlson, Werenski, Jones, Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Keith, Weber, etc. are all good, but they aren't in that first tier of d-men. In that group you have a few young d-men that likely will move to the top tier, some who peaked there, and others who are declining from the top tier.

And again, Norris voting, to me at least, tends to go by hype. Lidstrom should have won a couple Norris's in the 90's, but he was so quietly good that he didn't. In my opinion its the least reflective of actual skill at position of any of the awards.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
That's possible, care to tell me what I may have missed?

I assume you were referring to my post about the $8m for 4 years offer sheet. It’s a big pay jump from his hometown team, there’s a good chance that it’s an offer he would sign. $8m is a lot, and would make Columbus think about it for a minute. I expect they would still match, but the 4 years would carry him to UFA status, meaning at the end of the contract he would be free to talk and sign with whatever team he wants. At that point, you have to believe the Wings have a really good chance at luring him home to play for his childhood team and along side his good friend Dylan Larkin.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I assume you were referring to my post about the $8m for 4 years offer sheet. It’s a big pay jump from his hometown team, there’s a good chance that it’s an offer he would sign. $8m is a lot, and would make Columbus think about it for a minute. I expect they would still match, but the 4 years would carry him to UFA status, meaning at the end of the contract he would be free to talk and sign with whatever team he wants. At that point, you have to believe the Wings have a really good chance at luring him home to play for his childhood team and along side his good friend Dylan Larkin.
Sometimes people are quoting a poster you have ignored.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Problem solved $8m aav for 4 years. Either they balk at price or they lock him up til UFA status
$8M would be a 1st, 2nd , and 3rd. Even with Werenski the team isn't going to make the playoffs, so it could wind up being a lottery pick.

I don't see Yzerman doing any of the proposed trades or offer sheets mentioned by anyone here.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
$8M would be a 1st, 2nd , and 3rd. Even with Werenski the team isn't going to make the playoffs, so it could wind up being a lottery pick.

I don't see Yzerman doing any of the proposed trades or offer sheets mentioned by anyone here.

Let me ask you this. What are the odds of your lottery pick ever being as good as Werenski as 22 year old #1 defenseman? That price doesn’t scare me in the slightest.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Let me ask you this. What are the odds of your lottery pick ever being as good as Werenski as 22 year old #1 defenseman? That price doesn’t scare me in the slightest.
Or we could just keep the picks and go after Faulk in UFA next season. You can argue all you want, but I'm willing to bet money that Yzerman won't offer sheet anyone this summer.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Or we could just keep the picks and go after Faulk in UFA next season. You can argue all you want, but I'm willing to bet money that Yzerman won't offer sheet anyone this summer.

I’m not arguing what we will do. I’m arguing what I would do. Faulk’s value is literally a burning dumpster compared to Werenski

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast

No, I was referring to the post I quoted, hence why I quoted it...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad