Proposal: Offersheet Zach Werenski

Sparkzuk

Jan 13, 2016
Top 10/Lottery pick + top10 2nd and 3rd. CBJ Probably accept but I doubt Werenski does, unless he really wants to play with Larkin and DRW.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Werenski objects. And if he doesn’t, Columbus matches without question.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I’ve been thinking about this scenario a lot, and I think I’ve got my personal stance on this. I think Werenski has probably 3 years until his RFA status expires, so what I would do (and this isn’t what the Wings would do) is make a predatory offer of like $8m over 3 years realizing it takes him to UFA status, expecting the Jackets to match.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I’ve been thinking about this scenario a lot, and I think I’ve got my personal stance on this. I think Werenski has probably 3 years until his RFA status expires, so what I would do (and this isn’t what the Wings would do) is make a predatory offer of like $8m over 3 years realizing it takes him to UFA status, expecting the Jackets to match.

And in the meantime sign Trouba, trade for Torey Krug, bring the Hatcher bros out of retirement and in 3 years, along with Dekeyser, we can have an all Michigan defensive group.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
And in the meantime sign Trouba, trade for Torey Krug, bring the Hatcher bros out of retirement and in 3 years, along with Dekeyser, we can have an all Michigan defensive group.
Speaking of Trouba I just saw this....

Jets have no picks this year. How about Ras + one of our 2nd's for Trouba?

Reactions: Snuggs

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Werenski doesn't even sign that, and if he did, CBJ doesn't even hesitate a little on matching. Any offersheet seems unlikely to be worth it, as it would cost too many picks. Also, offer sheets don't happen anymore. We have seen 1 or 2 in like 10 years, so regardless of them getting mentioned in the media here and there, and a lot on this entire forum, they just don't happen. If they did, Leon Draisaitl would have gotten one a couple of years ago.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
CBJ is going to lose Bob, Panarin and maybe Duchene. We could go to 12 mil AAV and they would match.
This x100.

The only way the Wings would be able to land him is if CBJ actually resigns those guys and then has to lose ZW due to cap reasons.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I don't see this being remotely plausible. As others have said, Columbus would match very quickly.

Wait until he's UFA, then make an offer.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If Zach Werenski really wants to be a Red Wing he will sign only a one year deal with the Blue Jackets for next season then sign with Detroit as a UFA next summer. That's literally the best and fastest way we would acquire him and without giving away any assets.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Yeah, not buying this at all. Do you watch him play? He is an absolute beast.

Compare their first 3 seasons.

Werenski:

237 gp
128 pts
+13
11.8 defensive point share
23.1 point share

Jones:

240 gp
83 pts
7.6 defensive point share
12.6 point share

Werenski is a better defenseman when you compare them at the same age, and is as good as Jones is now being 3 years younger.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Well he’s clearly the better player compared to Werenski. He’d be the number one on the Wings by a ****ing lightyear. He’s a Norris finalist. I don’t know, he’s pretty damn good.

When did the Norris finalists get announced? And, the Norris Trophy tends not to be awarded to the best defender, especially recently, but the most hyped.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
When did the Norris finalists get announced? And, the Norris Trophy tends not to be awarded to the best defender, especially recently, but the most hyped.
Ok so if he wins the Norris it's because of hype? Jones is the best D on Columbus which is not a knock on Zach I'd take any/both of them. You can't say he is all hype....

Reactions: A Few Good Males

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad