Speculation: Offersheet Cernak 4.2x5

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
All it will cost is our 2021 2nd. Kid is massive, looks solid D wise and while it’s an overpayment now we would have one of the youngest and IMO best D cores.

Rielly Cernak
Muzzin Holl
Sandin Lehtonen
Marincin

Liljegren is called up at the TDL and replaces Marincin for the playoffs and is our 3rd pairing RHD the following season.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Thats actually a decent idea....

I always thought of him as the perfect OS target, but never considered the Leafs being the ones doing it

We could pretty easily clear out Johnsson+ to make it happen.

If we did $4.2M, Tampa would be forced to get rid of one of their good players to match. Worst case scenario, we make a divisional rival weaker.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Would be a big risk/reward move for sure.

Can see the temptation. But would someone with more cap space gazump that offer?

Also, who goes to make space for it?

I'm not criticising it as a premise, btw. Could be a very smart move.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Would be a big risk/reward move for sure.

Can see the temptation. But would someone with more cap space gazump that offer?

Also, who goes to make space for it?

I'm not criticising it as a premise, btw. Could be a very smart move.

This is based on an OS to Cernak (5x4.225 with 2021 2nd round compensation), Kerfoot dealt for a pick and Johnsson for Wallmark

Wallmark gives us a solid long term 3C option, FLA is likely losing Dadonov and Hoffman to FA so acquiring an offensive top 6 winger for a defensive 3C may be valuable for them.

Wallmark than re-signs 3 x 2.5
Mikheyev re-signs at 1 x 2

Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 12.29.24 PM.png

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Im surprised more teams dknt tey these lower cost offersheets kore often.

That said, its likely beacuse it gets matched

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Im surprised more teams dknt tey these lower cost offersheets kore often.

That said, its likely beacuse it gets matched

I think TBL have put themselves in a terrible position to be offersheeted on multiple fronts.

Sergachev
Cerelli
Cernak

They have some good trade pieces but if the offersheets come fast and furious they could be in a world of hurt very quickly.

As a GM I would likely be willing to give a 1 and a 3rd for Sergachev, that’s is what 4.3-6.3. He has first pairing LHD written all over him. Cernak again around 4, Cirelli again at 4.3-6.3 means the Bolts have to move anywhere from 13-17 million out.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I like the idea of Cernak for a 2nd, but 4.2 stretches us damn thin cap wise, sets a dangerous precedent for Dermott, and is a decently tempting match proposition for the Lightning if the can figure this year out.

If Dermott were not a factor I'd think we'd be better off with a 3.5x2. Still just a 2nd, and while that 700k is big for us in terms of savings this season it makes it much less attractive contract for them long term, as being 3 years shorter for only 700k savings just punts to when Point's contract is up puts them into another bind.

Reactions: The Podium

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Offer sheets are like an act of war in the hockey world. You have to prepare yourself for repercussions in the future for choosing that route.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Is cermak really a 4.2 million dollar player? He played with hedman right? How confident are we he is not looking better than he is due to elite teammates. 4.2 seemed really high tbh. Is he more than twice as good as dermott? Who deserves a a 2 year 1.5-1.75 type deal. I get we gotta offersheet in the high end to force tampas hand but I dont want this to bite us in the butt if cernak plays like a slightly better Holl and ends up being 1.5+ million overpaid.

I would offer them a 2nd+bracco if they are tight in cap and see if they deal cernak. Then try and get him on a 2 year 2.5 bridge deal

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Cernak was a nice rookie surprise for them but was pretty terrible this year.

I'd probably pass.

Reactions: Ciao

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Interesting idea. Good player. Helps to fill the biggest of team needs. Can't argue with the (trade) price. I don't know if I'm as certain about the contract, or especially, about placing him that high up on the depth chart though.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I'd pay 4.2 for Cernak easily, but I think TB will find a way to match.

Is cermak really a 4.2 million dollar player? He played with hedman right? How confident are we he is not looking better than he is due to elite teammates. 4.2 seemed really high tbh. Is he more than twice as good as dermott? Who deserves a a 2 year 1.5-1.75 type deal. I get we gotta offersheet in the high end to force tampas hand but I dont want this to bite us in the butt if cernak plays like a slightly better Holl and ends up being 1.5+ million overpaid.

I would offer them a 2nd+bracco if they are tight in cap and see if they deal cernak. Then try and get him on a 2 year 2.5 bridge deal
Just turned 23, he's 6'3" 230lbs, and can play on your top pairing as a shutdown D. What more do you need? To get a defensemen that young, who is already capable of keeping up with an elite partner against elite competition, is extremely rare.

As long as it's not a gross overpay, he'd live up to his contract here based on fit alone. Cernak would be the toughest player on the team outside of Clifford but he'd also be on the ice for 20+ minutes. When you talk about being "tough to play against" you need those players to be in prominent roles (top 6, top 4).

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You'd have to be very confident in his upside to pull off that move. I would proceed extreme caution.

One player I wouldn't mind offer sheeting would be Mikhail Sergachev. Let's just go for the top cut. Could Tampa match a $6.3 million offer sheet that would cost a 1st and 3rd? Could the Leafs realistically draft a player better than Sergachev in the first round in 2021?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'd pay 4.2 for Cernak easily, but I think TB will find a way to match.

Just turned 23, he's 6'3" 230lbs, and can play on your top pairing as a shutdown D. What more do you need? To get a defensemen that young, who is already capable of keeping up with an elite partner against elite competition, is extremely rare.

As long as it's not a gross overpay, he'd live up to his contract here based on fit alone. Cernak would be the toughest player on the team outside of Clifford but he'd also be on the ice for 20+ minutes. When you talk about being "tough to play against" you need those players to be in prominent roles (top 6, top 4).

Cernak hasn't looked that calibre this year tho, and he might not stick in tbay's top 4 when they're healthy.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
You'd have to be very confident in his upside to pull off that move. I would proceed extreme caution.

One player I wouldn't mind offer sheeting would be Mikhail Sergachev. Let's just go for the top cut. Could Tampa match a $6.3 million offer sheet that would cost a 1st and 3rd? Could the Leafs realistically draft a player better than Sergachev in the first round in 2021?

Doubtful...but at the same time, if you want Sergachev the more realistic option is a trade. Dubas isn't offersheeting anybody.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Basically, I would save my offer sheet bullets for impact players.

That too. Overpaying what could easily be another #4-6 dman wouldn't really help the Leafs, as they have several defencemen of that quality, while still pissing off Tampa. Cernak might be more than that, but he might not be.

Reactions: zeke

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Interesting idea. Our 2021 2nd is still tied to the Clifford trade however. Not sure if the league would approve this while Clifford is still a free agent, or if they'd let us offer sheet using the 2nd and then bar us from signing Clifford. Probably would have to wait until Clifford signs.

On a related note we can't offer sheet anyone that requires our 3rd rounder unless we signed Clifford as that pick is currently LA's unless we upgraded it to a 2nd by signing Clifford.

Reactions: kb

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

Is he replacing Mo then?
We only have so much room and have Sandin/Lilly knocking hard on the front door.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This is based on an OS to Cernak (5x4.225 with 2021 2nd round compensation), Kerfoot dealt for a pick and Johnsson for Wallmark

Wallmark gives us a solid long term 3C option, FLA is likely losing Dadonov and Hoffman to FA so acquiring an offensive top 6 winger for a defensive 3C may be valuable for them.

Wallmark than re-signs 3 x 2.5
Mikheyev re-signs at 1 x 2

View attachment 348266

Wallmark isn't going anywhere. Their centre depth is awful. Borgstrom most likely leaving and they traded Trochek.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Interesting idea. Our 2021 2nd is still tied to the Clifford trade however. Not sure if the league would approve this while Clifford is still a free agent, or if they'd let us offer sheet using the 2nd and then bar us from signing Clifford. Probably would have to wait until Clifford signs.

On a related note we can't offer sheet anyone that requires our 3rd rounder unless we signed Clifford as that pick is currently LA's unless we upgraded it to a 2nd by signing Clifford.

You're actually quite correct in suggesting that as long as Leafs pick has already potentially conditionally been traded this OS couldn't happen.

The completion of the condition would first need to happen of Leafs not resigning Clifford, thereby surrendering their 3rd round pick at which point it would clear the way to use their 2nd as draft pick compensation. If Clifford were resigned then this OS idea would be null and void.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
You're actually quite correct in suggesting that as long as Leafs pick has already potentially conditionally been traded this OS couldn't happen.

The completion of the condition would first need to happen of Leafs not resigning Clifford, thereby surrendering their 3rd round pick at which point it would clear the way to use their 2nd as draft pick compensation. If Clifford were resigned then this OS idea would be null and void.
Isn't there a rule that if you don't have your 2nd, you just give up the next 2nd you do have as long as it's within 4 years of the OS? We could potentially give up our 2022 2nd if we don't have our 2021 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad