Offer sheets tendered

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
I'm pretty sure I heard Bill Watters on Leafs Lunch say that that Leafs made a contract offer for Mattias Ohlund, like the Flyers did for Kesler.

I think those are the only 2 restricted free agent offers ever made, and both happen to be against the Canucks.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Keith Tkachuk got a monster offer sheet right before the Jets were sold. It was front-end loaded so that the ownership group would have a hard time matching it but they did.

I think it was the Hawks that made the offer.

Edit: Here is an article: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9806E4D71539F937A35753C1A963958260

Funny how small that contract looks today, but at the time $6/m in the first year of the contract made him the third highest paid player in the league. The total contract was $17/m over 5 years.

That was 12 short years ago - and people laugh at the DiPietro contract... In 10 years, his $4.5/per will look like peanuts compared to other starting goalies.

Last edited:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not in the last 10 years, but St. louis signed Stevens to an offer sheet.

The following year they signed Shanahan to an offer sheet, and lost Stevens in the process.

Wetcoaster

I'm pretty sure I heard Bill Watters on Leafs Lunch say that that Leafs made a contract offer for Mattias Ohlund, like the Flyers did for Kesler.

I think those are the only 2 restricted free agent offers ever made, and both happen to be against the Canucks.
They did but it was little different situation as Ohlund was an unsigned draft pick like Umberger.

Quinn refused to pay the going rate for a first round pick (sound familiar) and dicked him around for two years (Ohlund had already starred in international competition and was hailed a sure fire top 2 guy on D in the NHL). In those days under the CBA some Euros had the opportunity to become Restricted Free Agents if the drafting team did not sign them or tender an adequate offer. Cliff Fletcher and the Maple Laffs moved in, upped the Canucks offer by about $7 million and Quinn was forced to sign Ohlund for that inflated figure or lose him.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Keith Tkachuk got a monster offer sheet right before the Jets were sold. It was front-end loaded so that the ownership group would have a hard time matching it but they did.

I think it was the Hawks that made the offer.

Edit: Here is an article: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9806E4D71539F937A35753C1A963958260

Funny how small that contract looks today, but at the time $6/m in the first year of the contract made him the third highest paid player in the league. The total contract was $17/m over 5 years.

That was 12 short years ago - and people laugh at the DiPietro contract... In 10 years, his $4.5/per will look like peanuts compared to other starting goalies.

10 years is a long time...just about 10 % of your cap for 10 years. If Rick continues to improve or even stays at the same level for 10 it's a steal. One aggravating groin or lingering knee injury and you're over a barrell. It's a feast or famine contract.:)

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Here's a TSN piece by Bob McKenzie from when the Kesler offer sheet was tendered and signed by the player. It mentions Kesler's was the first since Hauer's in 1999.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=177298&hubname=

Of course, there could have been offer sheets extended to other players since then where the player chose not to sign; there were some rumors that this happened with at least one of the NJ RFAs last summer.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
How about these two?

Can someone refresh my memory as to how the Canes got Gary Roberts after his year off? Was it just a straight trade with Calgary or was it an offer sheet scenario?

Also, was Stu Grimson tendered an offer sheet when he went to Hartford (or maybe Anaheim)? I have a fuzzy memory that the Rangers tendered an offer to Grimson but lost out to another team.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The Rangers offered Joe Sakic a huge contract that averaged out to $7M per year with a very generous signing bonus after the Avs won the Cup in '96.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Can someone refresh my memory as to how the Canes got Gary Roberts after his year off? Was it just a straight trade with Calgary or was it an offer sheet scenario?

Also, was Stu Grimson tendered an offer sheet when he went to Hartford (or maybe Anaheim)? I have a fuzzy memory that the Rangers tendered an offer to Grimson but lost out to another team.

Carolina - traded to acquire Roberts' rights. Kidd and Roberts for Giguere and Cassels.

Grimson - here is the info...from 1995 (so you are correct (and good memory - I know I forgot about that one), an offer sheet, but not within the last 10 years that was asked about in the original post)

Link to NY times blurb

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
They did but it was little different situation as Ohlund was an unsigned draft pick like Umberger.

Quinn refused to pay the going rate for a first round pick (sound familiar) and dicked him around for two years (Ohlund had already starred in international competition and was hailed a sure fire top 2 guy on D in the NHL). In those days under the CBA some Euros had the opportunity to become Restricted Free Agents if the drafting team did not sign them or tender an adequate offer. Cliff Fletcher and the Maple Laffs moved in, upped the Canucks offer by about $7 million and Quinn was forced to sign Ohlund for that inflated figure or lose him.
Correct about Ohlund - he was a Group IV RFA.

In a nutshell - unsigned draft picks who played overseas were considered "Defected Players" and became Group IV RFAs when their overseas contracts expired - their original team retained the rights to match, but there was no compensation if they chose not to.

This is a different situation that Umberger. If I recall correctly, he was an unsigned draft pick who became a UFA after leaving Ohio State. The Canucks had no option to match an offer.

IdiotsPickedMyName*

People said the same thing about yashin, look how well that turned out.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
People said the same thing about yashin, look how well that turned out.

No they didn't. People laughed. Yashin was signed for more than $6M a year more than what DiPietero gets now.

IdiotsPickedMyName*

Straight from newsdays article after the yashin signing 9/05/01

Both sides stressed the importance of commitment and
loyalty over the fact that Yashin, while well
compensated, never will be one of the league's
highest-paid players.

Sounds exactly like that. Fact is Diepetro is signed super long term as one of the highest paid goalies in the league, same as yashin signed long term for near the top of the salary scale in his day. But this is getting pretty off topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Straight from newsdays article after the yashin signing 9/05/01

Both sides stressed the importance of commitment and
loyalty over the fact that Yashin, while well
compensated, never will be one of the league's
highest-paid players.

Sounds exactly like that. Fact is Diepetro is signed super long term as one of the highest paid goalies in the league, same as yashin signed long term for near the top of the salary scale in his day. But this is getting pretty off topic.

The spin put on it by the team and player doesn't equal popular opinion.

And DiPietro is NOT one of the highest paid goalies in the league. He's barely in the top 10 now, and he won't be there when Vokoun's new contract kicks in and Giguere gets his UFA asking price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad