Offer Sheet Thread

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Montreal and toronto wont make a big trade. Cause they are in the same division.. So an offer sheet could be a good idea. Maybe bergevin will have a bad reputation in toronto but whos care. And if toronto need to overpaying a guy like marner or matthews, indirectly it helps us. (Maybe reach a guy like gardiner, cause toronto will let him walk...
I would give an offer sheet to Matthews 7 years 12mil AAV if TO matches, I offer a 2nd one to Marner identical... At best, we get a star player for 4 first round picks at worst TO are stuck with 3 forwards on their roster making 35mil a year for 7 years... screw them up for the future...

Reactions: Hins77

MrGold

Mark Scheifele is a piece of ****
Jan 7, 2012
Been tried many times before....doesn't work. For example, how would you like to be paying Nylander 7 million a year for next 7 years and gave up your next 4 first round picks for the right to pay him that kind of money?

I'm guessing Nylander offer sheet would have been $8,118,641 for 5 years (For 1st, 2nd, 3rd).

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I would give an offer sheet to Matthews 7 years 12mil AAV if TO matches, I offer a 2nd one to Marner identical... At best, we get a star player for 4 first round picks at worst TO are stuck with 3 forwards on their roster making 35mil a year for 7 years... screw them up for the future...

Matthews doesn't accept 12 Mil.

Reactions: Saundies

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

They will match and trade Nylander for prospects and futures before they let Matthews or Marner go.

Imagine if you were Matthews or Marner... at what point do you sign an offer sheet? It's when the Leafs get too cheap with them and they get difficult in contract negotiations like they did with Nylander. Then they sign an offer sheet with the Habs? I doubt it. They believe in the core the Leafs have and they will get paid by the Leafs.

Nylander or Gardner will be the ones the Leafs let go if they have to overpay for Marner or Matthews and have cap issues. The tricky part is how they maneuver around the uninsured Horton contract. They can go over the cap in the off season placing him on LTIR but that does create complications for the following season. There is a reason why the Blackhawks traded the Hossa contract when they were up against the cap. The avoided the problem.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
If Arizona doesn't do an offer sheet on Matthews at the max allowable, I'll be disappointed. They have to do it.

Reactions: jaffy27

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
They will match and trade Nylander for prospects and futures before they let Matthews or Marner go.

Imagine if you were Matthews or Marner... at what point do you sign an offer sheet? It's when the Leafs get too cheap with them and they get difficult in contract negotiations like they did with Nylander. Then they sign an offer sheet with the Habs? I doubt it. They believe in the core the Leafs have and they will get paid by the Leafs.

Nylander or Gardner will be the ones the Leafs let go if they have to overpay for Marner or Matthews and have cap issues.
Of course they will... but that would be stupid and that's the whole point of screwing them over...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Of course they will... but that would be stupid and that's the whole point of screwing them over...

You can't screw them over if Marner and Matthews hang up the phone when you offer them your offer sheet. Pretty sure if it gets to offer sheet level cause the Leafs get cheap, they will negotiate with other teams than the Habs. It's all about leverage and using the Habs would tarnish their relationship with the Leafs management and teammates. I think they choose other teams as options if (big if) it gets to that level.

They will already have headaches with trying to improve their D. Let them drown in cap hell. Dubas thinks every prospect will pan out and it happens sooner rather than later. Babcock quote from recent weeks... "Lets see if our depth is as good as we say it is". Babcock is likely telling Dubas to go after help on D and Dubas likely told him that we have the depth already in the AHL.

Last edited:

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
You can't screw them over if Marner and Matthews hang up the phone when you offer them your offer sheet. Pretty sure if if gets to offer sheet level cause the Leafs get cheap, they will negotiate with other teams than the Habs.
They don't need to accept offer sheets and they'll know their value... again, TO painted themselves in the corner with the Tavares signing, it was stupid and greedy.

BTW, RFA can't negociate with any other teams than their own, they can only accept or refuse offer sheets...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They don't need to accept offer sheets and they'll know their value... again, TO painted themselves in the corner with the Tavares signing, it was stupid and greedy.

BTW, RFA can't negociate with any other teams than their own, they can only accept or refuse offer sheets...

It was not stupid for the Leafs to sign Tavares. If we were in the same situation, we would have done the same. They likely miss calculated how much it takes to re-sign Nylander/Marner/Matthews and now they have to re-group and figure out how to make it work. If it gets to be a problem, Nylander or Gardiner will be the ones who they move on from. Kapanen can replace Nylander it appears and they will go after depth guys on D with the hopes of Liljegren and Sandin are ready sooner rather than later.

Offer sheets are rare. It could very well happen again but I see other teams being able to negotiate an offer sheet.. Preds would be a huge threat IMO. They are missing offensive, have a tax advantage, and won't hesitate with the 1st they would be giving up cause they will be 20+ range each year.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
My best guess:

Arizona will offer sheet Matthews (13M AAV).
Isles will offer sheet Marner (12M AAV)
One of 28 teams able to do it would go for a 4.05M AAV on Kapanen.

Leafs currently have 23M of cap space next season, so right away, that's for sure one if not two of them gone unless they trade away someone else off of their roster. And then say they somehow manage to get 2 of them signed, they will be in a bind with their RD side depleted, Gardiner is gone, and most likely a few more ELC guys having to be thrown in the mix.

I say Montreal should (and will, since it's Bergevin) stay out of the bidding war and instead go the RFA route and offer Mark Stone 7 years, 60M.

If Montreal picks a top LD (Broberg or Byram) at the draft, and the additions of guys like Poehling, Suzuki, and others within the next 2 years, they will be set to be competitive if Kotkaniemi continues his progression.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
It was not stupid for the Leafs to sign Tavares. If we were in the same situation, we would have done the same. They likely miss calculated how much it takes to re-sign Nylander/Marner/Matthews and now they have to re-group and figure out how to make it work. If it gets to be a problem, Nylander or Gardiner will be the ones who they move on from.

Offer sheets are rare. It could very well happen again but I see other teams being able to negotiate an offer sheet.. Preds would be a huge threat IMO. They are missing offensive, have a tax advantage, and won't hesitate with the 1st they would be giving up cause they will be 20+ range each year.
Teams know this and will rob them blind.....Toronto will become the Stars of the East in a few years

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Teams know this and will rob them blind.....Toronto will become the Stars of the East in a few years

Leafs better not hope Liljegren and Sandin turn into Beaulieu and Tinordi. They can't afford busts in the defense prospect pool.

Rielly is a good one. Then what? Zaitsev is overrated but a decent piece. Dermott has proven nothing yet. Gardiner is a pending UFA and does he stay and take a pay cut? They are getting good value from Hainsey but he is age 38 next year.

Maybe they are able to get another Hainsey type value in the UFA market after letting Gardiner go. Myers, Bouwmeester, Edler type options? Pretty sure I think this is their plan.

Last edited:

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Leafs better not hope Liljegren and Sandin don't turn into Beaulieu and Tinordi. They can't afford busts in the defense prospect pool.

Rielly is a good one. Then what? Zaitsev is overrated but a decent piece. Dermott has proven nothing yet. Gardiner is a pending UFA and does he stay and take a pay cut? They are getting good value from Hainsey but he is age 38 next year.

Maybe they are able to get another Hainsey type value in the UFA market after letting Gardiner go. Myers, Bouwmeester, Edler type options? Pretty sure I think this is their plan.
It's still a pretty good problem to have. If they hadn't signed Tavares they would just be another decent team like the rest of the pack. Tavares has elevated them and taken away so much pressure off Marner and Matthews. They will be in cap hell but I would have done the same. You pay them and figure out the rest later, they can always move Nylander or some other players to make space. Even though they will have do some patching and be hopeful that their young prospects fill some holes, I still take my chances with that type of offensive core any day of the week.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Is somebody going to offer sheet Marner at $12M? Not sure the Leafs would match.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Is somebody going to offer sheet Marner at $12M? Not sure the Leafs would match.

They will.

They'll trade Nylander, Kadri, and anyone else not named Matthews before they let Marner go.

It gets interesting if you offer 15 million.

I don't have a problem paying Marner $15 million. I have a problem losing all the 1st rounders we'd need to give up though.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Kypreos sure talking like he's expecting somebody to offer sheet Marner on air a minute ago.

Would love to see it just for the Leaf fans losing their minds lol

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Well it would be up to marner if he wants to sign an offer sheet and screw the team that drafted him......highly doubt it.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Well it would be up to marner if he wants to sign an offer sheet and screw the team that drafted him......highly doubt it.
All depends how the negotiations progress this offseason. Who knows, maybe he already has an offer on the table from someone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad