Offer Sheet Thread

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Coyotes will use one when it comes time for Matthews.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Offer sheets don't exist.
No matter how man times this comes up, they simply don't happen.
History says you're right. Human nature says you're wrong. Offer sheets haven't worked because the perceived cost was prohibitive. Nobody wants to lose multiple 1st rounds; nobody wants to piss off other GMs; everybody assumes the price will be matched. However offer sheets are still there, waiting patiently in the rulebook, like a power-tool sitting in the garage that your dad bought but was never used because everybody's afraid to switch it on and make a mess. But if the rule is there long enough, somebody will use it. Eventually. Some GM whose team is already in a mess is going to switch on the power-tool in a desperate bid to fix things. He'll have been burned by 1st round picks often enough to sacrifice the draft crapshoot in favour of an established star. He won't be part of the bro-GM club. He'll see the PR benefits for his market outweighing the mess among his fellow GMs. Fans will love the idea of their aggressive, win-at-all-cost GM chasing a superstar.

It'll only take one guy timing it right for the dam to break. Or else the offer-sheet option will disappear. One of the two. Because right now it's a power-tool gathering dust. Either they'll close the option in the next CBA or make it more practical. Right now it's sitting there like a dare.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
History says you're right. Human nature says you're wrong. Offer sheets haven't worked because the perceived cost was prohibitive. Nobody wants to lose multiple 1st rounds; nobody wants to piss off other GMs; everybody assumes the price will be matched. However offer sheets are still there, waiting patiently in the rulebook, like a power-tool sitting in the garage that your dad bought but was never used because everybody's afraid to switch it on and make a mess. But if the rule is there long enough, somebody will use it. Eventually. Some GM whose team is already in a mess is going to switch on the power-tool in a desperate bid to fix things. He'll have been burned by 1st round picks often enough to sacrifice the draft crapshoot in favour of an established star. He won't be part of the bro-GM club. He'll see the PR benefits for his market outweighing the mess among his fellow GMs. Fans will love the idea of their aggressive, win-at-all-cost GM chasing a superstar.

It'll only take one guy timing it right for the dam to break. Or else the offer-sheet option will disappear. One of the two. Because right now it's a power-tool gathering dust. Either they'll close the option in the next CBA or make it more practical. Right now it's sitting there like a dare.
It's just a waste of time.
There's been 2 (I believe) since the salary cap came in. Edmonton with Penner and it didn't work out for them. Ya, they got the player but it turned out to be a bad move.
Philly with Weber and they didn't get him anyway.

I just don't see it.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
There's been 2 (I believe) since the salary cap came in. Edmonton with Penner and it didn't work out for them. Ya, they got the player but it turned out to be a bad move.

I just don't see it.
I agree, based on precedent it won't happen. And it's certainly possible that offer sheets pass through the next CBA without much attention, like a minefield nobody wants to get near. But circumstances keep changing. Salaries are becoming more top-heavy, teams are locking their stars up earlier for bigger contracts. The cap structure isn't the same careful balancing act it was a decade ago. It's becoming an uneven, wobbly house of cards. It's starting to look like one of those history lessons where the empire is complacent and stretched too far, leaving their flank open for the Visigoths to pierce their defences.

It just takes one ****-disturber Visigoth GM with nothing to lose to poke the status-quo. Will it happen? Probably not, I admit. Should it? Yeah, definitely. If not, remove the option altogether.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

I just don't see it.

There's been more than 2. Kesler, Weber, Vanek, Penner, Backes, Bernier, Hjalmarsson and O'Reilly

Those are the ones who signed and were either matched or let go.

That's with0ut all the other offers players have refused.

Reactions: Da Grinder

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Offer sheets don't exist.
No matter how man times this comes up, they simply don't happen.

This may be the year, there are a pile of star players coming off entry levels this year.

M&M in Toronto
Laine and Conner with the jets
Rantanen in Col
Point in TB
Aho with the canes
Tkachuk with calgary

slightly lesser guys like Werenski, colin white, Timo Meier, konecny and many more.

It is likely that the top guys (Mathews, Marner, Point, Laine, Rantanen) are all waiting for someone else to set the market price so its likely quite a few guys get to July 1st.

Then all it takes is one GM and a player looking to make something happen.

Take Matthews as an example, he is quite happy to stay in TO but we reach July and still no contract. Arizona comes calling and offers 7 years at $13.5 million (he would sell hockey in the desert) Matthews may sign that contract as there is no downside, either he is back home in Arizona or like shea weber years ago he pushes his existing team to match giving him the money he wanted all along.

If there is one the dam could burst, Assume the above happens and the Leafs match- someone like Lou is waiting in the wings to try to sign Marner to a offersheet the Leafs can't match after the matthews deal. Same senario can play out with the jets who will have lots of high end RFA's

I will say this, if there are no offersheets this year then they may as will remove it in the next CBA as it will never be used again. This year is the perfect storm.

Most teams still have their 1st round picks to make an offer sheet.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Dubas is probably praying for a long long run this post season.

The Cap is manageable for the Leafs going forward if they keep their roster mostly in tact. Of course, there will be a cap casualty here and there (gardiner).

The real challenge for dubas will be to improve the defense without being able to throw money at the problem. ... no big name acquisitions with hefty price tags.

Reactions: Rapala

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think this is DEFINITELY an option worth exploring for us. Big time.

I know I was one of the strongest advocates of Tavares - and not just that we should go for him, but how I thought he might actually consider Montreal - and was wrong. I feel as though Montreal might be more appealing for a younger player. It's one thing for Tavares to want to "win" late in his career - but for a lot of younger guys starting in the league, playing for a storied franchise like Montreal probably has "some" worth. And if you sign an offer sheet, it's much more about money than about "winning". And we have cap space. I think we could be VERY competitive in this market.

I'd go all in for Matthews. If i understood the actual cost in terms of draft picks vs each player - there might be a lot of others on the list i'd also go for, but depends on costs. Interesting targets include:

Ranta
Point
Laine
Marner
McAvoy

some others too i'm sure, but those might be my top picks

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Isn't that exactly what collusion is?

Collusion has the illegal and cheating conotation.

It's like saying that the BOG colludes with itself, which is just non sense. They are associated together.

Now, if we were talking of rogue owners who would make covert plans togetger to go against the established rules, now that's collusion.

But when all parties just agree for a truce over a certain technicality, instead of having to re-write the CBA, it's just an agreement.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
With all the outstanding young RFA's potentially becoming available after this year and the precedent Nylander has set for them by sitting out this year waiting for the contract he thinks he deserves, what are the odds we see an offer sheet next year. Most of the old guard GM's are gone and the "code" towards not stealing other teams players isn't as prevalent. We have a good chunk of cap space....just curious to others thoughts on this subject.

There are some massive names out there.

FORWARDS
Auston Matthews, C, TOR

Patrik Laine, RW, WPG

Mitchell Marner, RW, TOR

Sebastian Aho, C, CAR

Mikko Rantanen, RW, COL

Matthew Tkachuk, LW, CGY

Brock Boeser, RW, VAN

William Karlsson, C, VGK

Kyle Connor, LW, WPG

Brayden Point, C, TBL

Teuvo Teravainen, LW, CAR

Jake Guentzel, LW, PIT

Timo Meier, LW/RW, SJS

Travis Konecny, RW, PHI

Nick Schmaltz, C, CHI

Kevin Fiala, LW, NSH

Anthony Beauvillier, LW, NYI

Pavel Buchnevich, RW, NYR

Andre Burakovsky, LW/RW, WSH

DEFENSEMEN
Charlie McAvoy, D, BOS

Zach Werenski, D, CBJ

Ivan Provorov, D, PHI

Will Butcher, D, NJD

Jacob Trouba, D, WPG

Nikita Zadorov, D, COL

Esa Lindell, D, DAL

Neal Pionk, D, NYR

Very interesting thread!

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
I would offer sheet Matthews at 14.5M. Worst case it’ll screw up the Leafs cap situation if they match.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Marner has told the Leafs he's not talking contract until after the season now.....interesting

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I don't know if he really would have done it, but I remember Damphousse saying he'd make an offer sheet for Kucherov, a few years back (if he was the Habs Gm). The other guys said it was not a very well liked move by GMs but he said that if you're allowed to do it, then you should go that route.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Price is still really high for massive contracts. It may end up that a player like Kapanen gets offer sheeted over M&M. A team gives him $4m and that's only a 2nd round pick. $5m is a 1st and a 3rd. Can't see the Leafs being able to match that with contracts to M & M looming.

Reactions: Chili

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Price is still really high for massive contracts. It may end up that a player like Kapanen gets offer sheeted over M&M. A team gives him $4m and that's only a 2nd round pick. $5m is a 1st and a 3rd. Can't see the Leafs being able to match that with contracts to M & M looming.
Kapanen would be a good target. Offer sheets to franchise players will just be matched (Matthews, Marner, Laine, etc.) but they can't keep them all.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Doubt it, it doesnt really make sense to offer sheet second liners, especially a winger, its way easier to draft than a franchise center like Matthews, such players are seen half a decade, thats why its worth going for it, you dont want become an ennemi from your peers unless its really worth it...

ginomini

May 25, 2014
I'd say the best offer sheet Target is probably Point. We could probably get him to an lower deal that could handcuff the Lightning, but would cost less draft picks the 13M offers to Matthews/Marner/Rantanen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad